Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I havent had any yet. were you worried the first time you felt them? what week are you at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Me too ��
    I thought it was because I have been working until very (sic, very) late on the 31st.
    all contracted from 9 til midnight in frontbof the stupid pc!

But since yesterday I am having lower back pain and heaviness down there. Just hoping baby is not thinking to arrive earlier, 'cause I ain't ready at all!!! And so is the house, for as irrelevant as it is, as if he/she decides to come our will count nothing ��

M.

Ps clearemes they are preparatory contractions, also known fake labour

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ftm1989

I havent had any yet. were you worried the first time you felt them? what week are you at now?

Week34 3days.no I new what it was I also new they get very strong towards the end so just breath through them

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

im in a bit of a dilemna... we bought a baby elegance pebble 3 in 1 travel system second hand as we didnt have funds for a brand new one... its really lovely and the colour we wanted etc... all for 200euro... Bargain. when we picked it up from previous owner we asked about the car seat base and she said that we'd pick one up easy enough on ebay... but after looking online and in several shops apparently the bases can not be got anymore for this buggy... to say i am disappointed is an understatement... i really wanted one to click in so it would be so much handier but it looks like that wont be the case now... such a trivial thing maybe but im so disappointed now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

clareames wrote: »
    im in a bit of a dilemna... we bought a baby elegance pebble 3 in 1 travel system second hand as we didnt have funds for a brand new one... its really lovely and the colour we wanted etc... all for 200euro... Bargain. when we picked it up from previous owner we asked about the car seat base and she said that we'd pick one up easy enough on ebay... but after looking online and in several shops apparently the bases can not be got anymore for this buggy... to say i am disappointed is an understatement... i really wanted one to click in so it would be so much handier but it looks like that wont be the case now... such a trivial thing maybe but im so disappointed now...

Not sure if this is the one you're after but it's compatible with the baby elegance pebble although it seems fairly expensive:
    http://www.toys.ie/Baby-Elegance-Isofix-Base-!123955-prd.aspx

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is the one you're after but it's compatible with the baby elegance pebble although it seems fairly expensive:
    http://www.toys.ie/Baby-Elegance-Isofix-Base-!123955-prd.aspx

thanks for this but wwe've been to smyths and apparently there is a NEW pebble and ours is the old one!!! :mad: i guess we'll just hav to do it the old way :(

i seem to be asking the most random stuff on here but my mind is in overdrive lately as im sure most of you are in the same boat... Packed my hospital bag last night so pretty much ready to roll whenever it happens - although not due til 18th Feb but just to be on safe side!! I was putting in some dummies and hubby was mad to sterilise them, I said not to, that if I want to use them I will ask the hospital to sterilise for me... this got me thinking....AGAIN!!! I plan on breastfeeding but should I be prepared and have bottles sterilised beforehand, I did buy some formula to have just in case but if I sterilise the bottles - is it too soon to do it now... dont want to go into labour then land home and have to do all that and no bottles ready... also where would be the best place to store them once they are sterilised? just in a press? if I do them now will they still be ok in 4 - 6 weeks.... im so so clueless!! i have a microwave steriliser so wont take long to do but I like to be prepared!! its also a cold water steriliser for all you microwave haters out there!! :P
    Back to work today after almost 3 weeks off... finish up officially on 31st... gona be a long few weeks!! every day brings new feats - like bending down, standing up etc etc... cant wait to have buba!! :D

clareames wrote: »
    i seem to be asking the most random stuff on here but my mind is in overdrive lately as im sure most of you are in the same boat... Packed my hospital bag last night so pretty much ready to roll whenever it happens - although not due til 18th Feb but just to be on safe side!! I was putting in some dummies and hubby was mad to sterilise them, I said not to, that if I want to use them I will ask the hospital to sterilise for me... this got me thinking....AGAIN!!! I plan on breastfeeding but should I be prepared and have bottles sterilised beforehand, I did buy some formula to have just in case but if I sterilise the bottles - is it too soon to do it now... dont want to go into labour then land home and have to do all that and no bottles ready... also where would be the best place to store them once they are sterilised? just in a press? if I do them now will they still be ok in 4 - 6 weeks.... im so so clueless!! i have a microwave steriliser so wont take long to do but I like to be prepared!! its also a cold water steriliser for all you microwave haters out there!! :P
    Back to work today after almost 3 weeks off... finish up officially on 31st... gona be a long few weeks!! every day brings new feats - like bending down, standing up etc etc... cant wait to have buba!! :D

In my parenthood class the midwife said you should Use it within 1hour of sterilising it.after an hour you should do it again.

I think it depends on the steriliser too. Mine will keep the bottles sterile for an hour once removed from the steriliser but if they are left untouched and covered in it, it'll keep them sterile for 24 hours.

I've read on a few forums that if you sterilise the bottles and fill them all with cooled boiled water and put them in the fridge, they'll keep for 24 hours so long as nothing touches the teat and you can then just add the formula as needed but I'm not sure how accurate this is?

Either way, I'm going to give the steriliser a go before the baby is born, just to make sure that everything is working ok :)

Also re: dummies, now I know Im new at this too, but i read that just like it being difficult to combine breastfeeding and bottle feeding from the beginning ( baby will often just go with the bottle as its easier) the dummy can have a similar effect on the breast feeding. I read not to introduce them til they are over 3 weeks old. Anyone any first hand experience of this?

Also I had a little scare at the weekend! Was in Cork for a weekend break and felt a gush 'down there':eek: Panicked a bit, rang the coombe and they said wear a liner and be observant for more. Spent most of the weekend on edge. Luckily had no more incidences. Was in the Coombe today anyway, and Doc did a check and said I wasnt leaking any fluid and levels looked good. So all ok! Didnt have a hospital bag with me or anything! 5 weeks to go tomorrow. So plan for this week is to get those bags done. Have most stuff just need to unwrap it all and get it in the right bag.

Sisters are throwing me a shower on Sat and people are asking what I would like. I havent a clue! We have all the essentials, either ordered or second hand. Are there any gadgets/ fun things any of you received or would recommend?

• Advertisement

I've read on a few forums that if you sterilise the bottles and fill them all with cooled boiled water and put them in the fridge, they'll keep for 24 hours so long as nothing touches the teat and you can then just add the formula as needed but I'm not sure how accurate this is?

Either way, I'm going to give the steriliser a go before the baby is born, just to make sure that everything is working ok :)

Hi Mrspostman, at the antenatal class all midwives quoted the trend of the cold water bottles stating that it is not only untrue, but risky for the baby.

They explained to us that the formula milk needs to be prepared with water at 70 degrees to ensure the killing of any possible bacteria. Then you can let it cool and keep it for few hours, but they warned us from using cold water to mix the formula as it would not be safe.

I am also buying a soother steriliser, not sure if we'll end using a pacifier, but if we do, this one is a microwave one and it sterilises in a minute (and if the baby cries madly a minute is already wayyy too long). I saw it in mothercare for about 6 euros.

Anyway, planning to go to a breastfeeding group next week, apparently one needs to know already a lot for the moment the baby arrives...

Take care you all, tomorrow we are officially -4 weeks ��

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

How are ye all doing not long left now 4 weeks so nervous and excited at the same time just wondering if any one has had the same thing I'm hearing this cracking noise from my belly I looked it up on Google and apparently it's very common and doctors don't know what it is it's not painful or anything it's just like a popping cracking noise have anyone else heard this ?

HI Staceyflynn13... never heard of this and i must have looked up most things... google overload here!!! u could have a rock star inside you bursting to get out!!!

I had second ante natal class yesterday - OMG one minute I was laughing at one scenario, literally one minute later I was in tears... The thoughts of it all... its so overwhelming... with 5 weeks approx to go i am slightly nervous but so so excited!

One thing I have and is driving me crazy is an outrageous itch... everywhere, feet legs arms shoulders back... im literally tearing my skin from scratching. midwife said yesterday to report it so I will say to Doctor when I visit her in few days time...

The sleep thing is a pain! I am so looking forward to baby being born so I can at least be comfortable when I go to bed. I may not get much sleep but at least I will be able to lie on by back/belly again... little luxuries!! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

How are ye all doing not long left now 4 weeks so nervous and excited at the same time just wondering if any one has had the same thing I'm hearing this cracking noise from my belly I looked it up on Google and apparently it's very common and doctors don't know what it is it's not painful or anything it's just like a popping cracking noise have anyone else heard this ?

Just popping in from the April thread. I had this wish my little fella and I had all sorts goin through my head. I heard it from just over the mid way mark with him and turns out it was nothing. He's perfect and no clicking either

Hi ladies how's everyone doing,so was on other forum and someone posted a link to this website (www.thejoyofthis.com) so onto the site did some reading it was informative up until I clicked on (Sensetion of birth &protecting the perineum through it all )and it freaked me out I was like no way I want to have vaginal birth now.so I want u lovely ladies to have a read and share ur thoughts afterwards

I only had a quick read of it but it seems to be written in a very scaremongery tone :eek: However, I have heard of the 'breathing down' the baby technique instead of pushing, it's part of the hypnobirthing techniques I've been reading about. Also, I've bought some perineum oil in mothercare and I've begun perineum massage as I've heard that it significantly decreases the likelihood of tearing or need for episiotomy (ouch!). Having said that, I'm a first timer so I have absolutely no idea whether either will work but I suppose anything is worth a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

For some reason, that link won't work for me. But I'm guessing it's pure scaremongering.

Sure, take precautions such as massaging with oil, if that makes you feel better. But don't let anything like that article put you off the idea of a vaginal birth.

You have to remember that giving birth is a completely natural process, which women have gone through over and over again, since the beginning of time. We're very lucky that we now have medical alternatives and interventions available to us, such as C Sections. And personally I'll be in no way disappointed or upset if I don't manage a 100% natural birth - I'll just be grateful that the necessary medical intervention was available to me. But equally, I'm not going to let any horror stories scare me away from at least trying to have a normal vaginal delivery.

Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss, it may have been easier for our mothers, not being able to scare themselves with Google! :o

I will definitely trying massaging it I'm first time mom so I have no idea what to expect, doing kegel exercise helps too but on that website it says doing too much kegel weakenes the pelvic floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Hi all in from April board but just wanted to say that every birth is different and sometimes it can go perfect even for first time mums. I had an hour and 40 mins labour and no pain relief as well there was no time and I had voted not to have any. I didn't need stitching either. This was my first baby and I swear walking throughout and mainly at the end of the pregnancy was the reason for it. I know it doesn't always work that way but walking really helps.

The downside to mine was not been able deliver after birth but it didn't impact me at all apart from goin to theatre for something really routine. My body just got lazy at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lil2010

Im due the 12th Feb, so tired at the moment. Ive brought my maternity leave forward and finishing in work on Friday 17th Jan. Can not wait to be off work and have afternoon naps if needed.
    Really feeling swollen at the moment, any tips for that? Im starting back in my yoga class on Saturday and hope to get back into swimming next week as I think it helps keep the body moving I was really lazy over Christmas.

• Advertisement

oh im not due to finish work til 31st Jan... due around 12th - 18th feb (got 2 diff dates in hospital!!) dont know how i will stick it... my feet and legs are swelling goodo now and i am incredibly itchy.. going to see GP tomorrow and mention these few things to her so hopefully its just normal and not anything bad - i hear the itchiness can be down to something wrong with liver functioning??! Fingers crossed!
    Yoga this evening and cant wait for it, its so relaxing!
    At our ante natal class the other day the midwife suggested making a playlist of relaxing music for when im in labour... apart from Enya, I cant think of any relaxing songs/music... Hubby suggested the music we used in our Wedding dvd which would be nice to listen to as its all so happy and great memories... anybody any suggestions?? going by what we were told - that labour could be anything like 7 - 9 hours then i better bring lots of cds!! ha ha

We got a relaxing/breathing CD at our antenatal class. Havent actually listened to it yet but its going on he ipod for the labour ward. :)

I know of two women with the itching problem - both were older mums and it was a liver thing. One is due the same time as me and was told she might have to have a C-section early if they cant control the issue, the other went to full term and had a natural birth. I would call the hospital/ GP and mention the itching as its very serious.

Im getting sick of being pregnant now. Everything is difficult and sore. On the plus side was in the Coombe on Mon and they said everything was grand. Had to be checked if I was leaking fluid, but they said they couldnt detect any, thank goodness.
    Also made some decisions on the birth plan front, gonna have a natural 3rd stage and vitamin K drops instead of injection unless theres been an intervention.

Anyone any suggestions on stretchy cloth slings? Want to have one by the time baby arrives. And Ive a funny feeling hell come early.....

Anyone any suggestions on stretchy cloth slings? Want to have one by the time baby arrives. And Ive a funny feeling hell come early.....

A few different people recommended the jeportemonbebe (jpmbb) wrap to me. I ordered mine from amazon, it cost £59 stg and it arrived last week. I think I'm probably going to have to buy a doll and practise it before the baby comes though, apparently it's a bit fiddly at the start but once you get the hang of it it's ok :)

I'm stuck in hospital with high bp since yesterday but on the upshot, they gave me a super detailed scan today and everything is grand with the baby so that cheered me up no end :) Easily knowing as soon as I finally sorted my hospital bags out, I get admitted :rolleyes:

Good luck MrsPostman, good to know that the baba is fine, but take care of yourself!

I am finishing work next Friday (due the 7th), and I am crawling so tired and exhausted I feel. The usual hassle and drama of the daily job is now taking the tall and I cannot really wait a minute longer to start concentrating on this journey.

I have to admit that I did not particularly enjoy being pregnant. I have overworked and not taken very good care of myself (I will forever feel guilty if anything comes out to be wrong with the baby), so I am really looking forward to detach myself from work and starting to think, truly and only, about this little, miraculous creature that is going to keep us up all nights for the next 30 years :)

About the cloth swing, I am really not familiar with them and being very clumsy I am not sure I would be the right person to use them. Apart the clear advantage of skin to skin contact with the baby, what other advantages do you see in using one?

Have a nice week end :)

Ah you must be counting down the hours til you finish so :) I wasn't due to finish work unti the start of feb but due to a number of health reasons, I haven't been able to go back after xmas. When the doc signed me off, I thought I would go crazy with boredom at home as we had everything baby related already sorted but I guess the mad workload I had up until xmas took it's toll on me because I've actually been enjoying lying around all day watching tv and doing lots of snoozing :)

I'm quite clumsy myself but as far as I can see, the slings are pretty safe once used properly :) Apart from the skin to skin contact, they are supposed to make breastfeeding easier. Also, I love the idea that the baby will see the world from my point of view :D And the fact that I will (hopefully) be able to go about daily tasks with the baba strapped securely to me :) There are babywearing support groups who do demos around the country and they're suposed to be excellent but unfortunately there haven't been any near me recently. Here's a good article on it:
    https://www.llli.org/nb/nbnovdec04p204.html

I was looking for apps to help me remember when baby feeds,sleeps,poops,pees and found this app very easy to use and u can take down notes its very handy I think. so want to share it. Apps called (ibaby) on play store

Hey ladies!

Just thought Id let yous know that the Medela Swing pump is reduced to £86 (€103) on amazon at the mo. So are a lot of monitors/ baby things. The swing was €165+ anywhere else I looked!

Nearly have everything ready for the baby now. all the last bits going in the hospital bags. Only thing of slight worry is that the travel system hasnt arrived to the shop yet, but theres still time! My sisters threw me a baby shower at the weekend and I got some gorgeous clothes and things for baby!

Feeling very heavy, awkward and tired. Keep bumping my bump! only 4 weeks to go!

That's great value I wonder how long the offer will last? I'm still trying to wait it out to see if bf works out before buying a pump but at that price it's nearly too good to pass :)

yeah I want to exclusvely breast feed for the first few months, but figure once I start adding solids etc, I might pump too. At the price I couldnt pass it up! I was debating when it was 150+ whether it was worth buying or waiting til I needed it.

• Advertisement

Mrspostman and Dori, yes, I want to try to go with the exclusive breastfeeding, so I will also go next week to one of those support groups to understand what is the best I can do to promote this.

Looking into that breastfeeding pump and the swing, thanks for the hints :)

Hope you guys are doing fine. Little baby, here, is already 3Kg and if it is not out by the 11th of feb, we will take him/her out :)

Take care,
    M.

Advertisement