Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

marysnow wrote: »

They told me to use formula at each feed and the breastfeeding is not going very well now. I am very upset about it and I have had a lactation consultant coming at home. She told me to start to accept the possibility that I might not be able to breastfeed, but we we can give it a last try.

Sorry to hear about your breast feeding Mary I was doing so well myself but got an infection and everytime I was feeding baby it was upsetting his stomach and he would throw up the milk so we had to give him more formula more than boob so I'm just doing morning feeds and night feeds till infection goes and he was a month old yesterday and he was weighing 9lb 12oz :O a lil blunter already :) he's good as gold and falling more in love with him every day he just makes me laugh with all his facial expressions :) hope mammies and babies Are all doing well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We should all definitely try and meet up!

Eli has been doing well, we are having a 6 week growth spurt at the moment, so its a little rough! I hit my lowest point so far last week, but Im getting through it. We started using Infacol and that really changed things for me! Ive a feeling the doc is going to tell me to use more formula. Hes not gaining as much weight as the PHN would like ( not losing or stagnant either mind you). Well see tomorrow at his 6 week check up! I really have to get a lactation consultant booked, I think theyd either help fix his feeding( if he has a prob) or else help me come to terms with the formula feeding.

On a happier note - the last 2 mornings he has woken up, seen me, and smiled!!! So cute!

Hes also very long, 0-3 mths are fitting him in the leg, so I have to find some time and clear his gorgeous newborn outfits from the drawer. *sob* :(

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Sorry to hear about your breast feeding Mary I was doing so well myself but got an infection and everytime I was feeding baby it was upsetting his stomach and he would throw up the milk so we had to give him more formula more than boob so I'm just doing morning feeds and night feeds till infection goes and he was a month old yesterday and he was weighing 9lb 12oz :O a lil blunter already :) he's good as gold and falling more in love with him every day he just makes me laugh with all his facial expressions :) hope mammies and babies Are all doing well :)

Hi SaceyFlynn, thanks :)
    They are a joy indeed :) Even when we get so worried about them!
    I am coming to term with the breastfeeding issue, if I can still give him some of my milk until his 3rd month I shall be happy, but we will see how it develops.

I hope your infection has gone now!

Take care, M.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Eli has been doing well, we are having a 6 week growth spurt at the moment, so its a little rough! I hit my lowest point so far last week, but Im getting through it. We started using Infacol and that really changed things for me! Ive a feeling the doc is going to tell me to use more formula. Hes not gaining as much weight as the PHN would like ( not losing or stagnant either mind you). Well see tomorrow at his 6 week check up! I really have to get a lactation consultant booked, I think theyd either help fix his feeding( if he has a prob) or else help me come to terms with the formula feeding.

On a happier note - the last 2 mornings he has woken up, seen me, and smiled!!! So cute!

Hes also very long, 0-3 mths are fitting him in the leg, so I have to find some time and clear his gorgeous newborn outfits from the drawer. *sob* :(

Hi Dori, yes, we could meet up next week or the week after? I can't believe next week our little fella will be 2 months old!!! What a mad journey to get here!!!

How did Eli do at the 6 weeks check? A lactation consultant is a good investment, but the sooner, the better. I have two names, if you want, but if you call the leaders in the cuidiu group of your are, they should be able to give you a good name too (http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/).

I cannot know how do you feel about formula, but it got me really, really, upset. I always gave for granted that I would have been able to happily breastfeed exclusively until his 6th month and then the morning and night feed until the baby's first year.

Well, I could not even manage to go over the 2nd week without having the baby losing 14% of his weight, so I felt also completely useless as mother (I really had an emotional few days, and feeding every 90 mins for a week, as told me by the local nurse, meant that I was absolutely in bits).

So, I can tell you only that, if formula has to be part of your life, do not feel a failure on your side. The paediatrician helped me a lot to come to term with this. He explained to me that the fact that something is natural, does not always mean that it works or it is easy. And this is how life is. I am not less of a mother because I have to give formula to my child and the more stressed I get about it, the worst it gets.

In hindsight, I hate that being so stressed and worried about this, made me lose precious time with the baby as I was obsessed with him putting on weight ad me producing milk, rather than simply accepting what was happening and enjoy this little miracle.

Hope you all are doing fine!
    M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My little fella wasn't gaining enough with the breastmilk alone and when he had only barely regained his birth weight by 3 weeks, the phn suggested we combine feed him. He put on 2lb in the next 3 weeks but unfortunately, even with pumping, my milk dried up (I have an underactive thyroid and I suspect my levels are gone low again so that would cause it). So by 6 weeks, we switched to bottle only. It was hard but seeing him really thriving now and helps :) I was speaking to a cousin of mine who bf exclusively for a whole year and she said that although she's glad she did it, it was absolute torture for her whereas her friend did the same and found it an absolute breeze. I guess everyone is different and we can't beat ourselves up over it. My doctor was nice enough to console me by saying at least I had given the baba a good start :)

I had to bag all of my newborn clothes last week, it's scary how quickly they grow once they start sprouting :eek: :D We've been really lucky that my OH managed to take 7 weeks off work. It's been absolutely fantastic having him here (although there have been a few cabin fevered murderous moments) and I'll be lost without him when he starts back on Saturday :( Counting our blessings that he had the opportunity in the first place though. Glad to hear everyone else is doing well!

• Advertisement

marysnow wrote: »
    Hi SaceyFlynn, thanks :)
    They are a joy indeed :) Even when we get so worried about them!
    I am coming to term with the breastfeeding issue, if I can still give him some of my milk until his 3rd month I shall be happy, but we will see how it develops.

I hope your infection has gone now!

Take care, M.

Thanks Mary things have not gone so well with the breast feeding after the infection went he was still getting sick so I had to take him off the breast completely upset that I had to stop it but so happy I did a full month tho

He had he's 6 weeks check up and he is grand and healthy he's weighing 10lbs 6oz so I'm very happy with that 😀

Happy Mothers Day everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Hope you all were spoiled for Mother's Day. It's on a different day over here for some reason, in May afair. I wish I was over there to meet up, all my friends here are past the baby stage and moving on.

Ronan is 5 weeks and the last week since my parents left has been tough. Tbh I've been questioning my mental health on occasion. Somewhere along the line our sleeping situation degenerated so that he will not take a day sleep anywhere but the sling, and he takes hours to get down at night- both initially and in the middle of the night. Very demoralising stuff. With all the other children's needs my oh has spent very little time with the baby- he took him for an hour on Saturday morning and that was the longest time he's been physically off me, apart from when he's sleeping at night in his basket, less than a foot away from my bed. It's so intense sometimes it wears me down, I'm just trying to focus on the fact that it's such a short time in the grand scheme of things and so full of precious moments. I'm starting to get into my groove now, with a good rhythm of laundry (dear sweet jeebus the laundry!!), meals, shopping, kids activities etc, it's just a question of being super organised. I got back to an exercise class today for the first time which did wonders for my mental state. Trying to cut out the crap food wise also to shed the pregnancy pounds which is less enthusing...I will admit to fantasies of battering my oh with his family sized bar of toblerone, but the first week's always the hardest!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

hey... hows all your little people doing? my little man Kyle is just over 7 months since 28th Sept... he is 'Creeping' around the place like mad and flying around in a walker... everyone says its way too early for him to be doing all these things but now he has started there is no stopping him! he is a great eater and has no patience when it comes to eating. give him pretty much anything except parsnips and he will gobble it down... he is a real cool little dude now and we can have such a laugh with him at this stage! no teeth yet but i am hoping they will soon make an arrival as he will chew anything with the pain of them! in another thread i see that phn are giving check ups around 8 months... is this the norm as i didnt have one since he was 3 months.. dying to findout his weight... should i ring her and organise it myself... whats happeningwith ye all regarding this?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

clareames wrote: »
    hey... hows all your little people doing? my little man Kyle is just over 7 months since 28th Sept... he is 'Creeping' around the place like mad and flying around in a walker... everyone says its way too early for him to be doing all these things but now he has started there is no stopping him! he is a great eater and has no patience when it comes to eating. give him pretty much anything except parsnips and he will gobble it down... he is a real cool little dude now and we can have such a laugh with him at this stage! no teeth yet but i am hoping they will soon make an arrival as he will chew anything with the pain of them! in another thread i see that phn are giving check ups around 8 months... is this the norm as i didnt have one since he was 3 months.. dying to findout his weight... should i ring her and organise it myself... whats happeningwith ye all regarding this?? :)[/quote

There's a phn check at 7-9 months and then a check with hse doc between 10 and 12 months. Call your phn as I know they can sometimes forget everyone!

• Advertisement

oh great thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I also wouldn't worry about people saying baby is too young to be moving around, my little one is flying and I would love if she walked by Christmas! Reason being I had the other extreme with my first, she didn't walk til she was 22 months!

I cant wait until he walks he is so heavy!! lol...

My fella is a little savage! Eats everything and anything. Prefers real food to bottles to be honest! Can crawl in a circle and backwards! But hes started putting weight on his knees and pushing his bum in the air so i think proper crawling is imminent. 2 bottom teeth came through. 2 weeks ago.

Weighs a tonne, well over 23lbs nothing fits him for long! In 9-12 clothes a while and he's only just 8 months.

I'm always terrified of those walkers! But he's getting one for Xmas. I once saw a little girl who was incredibly dainty (I assumed she was 6 months old) get up out of a sitting position and walk to her mam no bother! Turned out she was 9 months old and just super tiny. It looked really freaky tho!

I don't think I could cope if Eli was already starting to walk! Crawling is hard enough!

Hello everyone :) my little dude is nearly 8 months he has two bottom teeth one fully up and one just broke through last Friday :) he's absoutley flying around in his walker no crawling yet but got a few bum shuffles but when he's on the floor he's graps the nearest thing to him like a table or his walker and try to pull himself up so I think he could walk before crawl.. He loves his food also also impatient when were dipping the spoon in to get his food he gives out mad.. Put him into his cot the other night he loved it all his teddies around him.. How are all of ye doing ?

oh the irony... after me asking yesterday about whether my little man should be havin a checkup the phn rings me to arrange it!! Gas! im dying to see how much he weighs now...
    This first time mom thing is tough going isnt it... kyle sleeps well at night till about 5 r 6 and then we bring him into the bed which he loves and we love having him in with us but it is starting to disrupt our sleep now as he moves quite a lot. he was napping earlier in our bed, i was gone to work and hubby up in the kitchen doing a few bit when he went to check on him and he was wide awake sneaking down the bed... 10 seconds later and he would have fallen. Thats the end of the bed now! not worth the risk... I just think he is a bit cold at night on his own in cot. even tho he has long sleeve vest and fleece pjs and a grow bag... should i double up the grow bag? he be like a mummy going to bed!! lol... last couple of days when i collect him from childminder he is wrecked by 7pm and then refuses his food only wants bottle and bed but puts up a fight to be changed. i only get in from work at 6.20 i hate that he has to go to bed so early and i dont have any time with him. i work 6 days :( im fit for bed by 9 and that was never me!!! ha

Hey guys !! Been almost 2 years since we all last spoke. How are your little ones doing??
    Hope everything is all good with yourselfs also :)

Advertisement