Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Hi all,

I am quite anxious about possible syndromes and, due to myage, we have decided to go for a test. We have done the Panorama test (samething than the Harmony) and we had already 3 scans. They will give us theresults in 10 business days and it is more reliable (albeit significantly moreexpensive) than the nuchal scan and the combined tests.

This morning we went for the test and prior to it they did ascan (to make sure that the baby was ok and in the right pregnancy stage forthe test). He or she was moving like a little bull most of the time, so muchthat the consultant took a while to take a clear picture to check themeasurements!

But I have to admit, I did not imagine to feel so connectedto this little thing so early, Seeing all that life in such a small thingreally made me smile.

Now fingers crossed that all is also fine, I am so concerned!

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

So do most people have the scan for reassurance? But what if you get a dubious or inconclusive result? Would that not make you more worried in the long run? And it could be all for nothing.

I suppose it could be because we've never planned any of our pregnancies, but I prefer just to trust that everything will work out as its meant to in the long run. Especially with conceiving this child so soon after miscarrying, despite our best efforts to the contrary, I have the feeling that its out of my hands somehow, that this child is here because they want to be in our family at this time and if its meant to be it will be. There's so little you can do to change the outcome that to me it seems pointless. Of course it's easy for me to take that attitude with three healthy kids on the right side of 35...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    So do most people have the scan for reassurance? But what if you get a dubious or inconclusive result? Would that not make you more worried in the long run? And it could be all for nothing.

I suppose it could be because we've never planned any of our pregnancies, but I prefer just to trust that everything will work out as its meant to in the long run. Especially with conceiving this child so soon after miscarrying, despite our best efforts to the contrary, I have the feeling that its out of my hands somehow, that this child is here because they want to be in our family at this time and if its meant to be it will be. There's so little you can do to change the outcome that to me it seems pointless. Of course it's easy for me to take that attitude with three healthy kids on the right side of 35...

In terms of developmental scans I think these are reassuring, if it picked up on something at least I'd be prepared. I didn't and won't be getting a nuchal scan, it seems pointless as I wouldn't act on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

In terms of developmental scans I think these are reassuring, if it picked up on something at least I'd be prepared. I didn't and won't be getting a nuchal scan, it seems pointless as I wouldn't act on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BeanieBuddy

Hi all - just popping in to join the thread as it'll be great to have people to chat with that are at the same stage.

Due date 8th of Feb, first baby by 2nd round of IVF after 2 years of trying. We're over the moon and have just started telling extended family and friends this week. Had a scan at 7 weeks at the IVF clinic, a private one at 10 weeks when I had a minor (ish) wobble due to my symptoms easing off and just had 12 wk scan at Holles St on Tuesday.

All is looking well and we're just keeping our fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy and birth :)

• Advertisement

Congratulations BeanieBuddy!

We told our family today. I read the kids a book called 'There's going to be a baby' - it's really beautiful with illustrations by Helen Oxenbury who did the Bear Hunt book, then got them to guess the news. My just-turned-5 year old guessed and she and the 6yo jumped up and down and were very excited. The nearly-2yo said 'what?' then looked very serious before declaring 'baby girl' and going on with his duplo...he doesn't really get it. We let the older two Skype granny and grandad and tell them. They had friends over at the time and their false delight was palpable! Oh well, it's done now. Now to tell inlaws and friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BeanieBuddy

That sounds like a lovely way to share the news with your older children :)

We told in-laws and friends/colleagues after the 12 week scan. Not everyone knows yet, because we're not doing a big announcement or anything, just sharing the news as we meet people in the normal course of events. Reactions have varied and some have been a little strange, but it's not about other people really!

I'm getting lots and lots of advice re breastfeeding from other Mums my age - who knew it was such a minefield!?!

We told in-laws and friends/colleagues after the 12 week scan. Not everyone knows yet, because we're not doing a big announcement or anything, just sharing the news as we meet people in the normal course of events. Reactions have varied and some have been a little strange, but it's not about other people really!!

I'm finding it hard to tell people, I don't know why. I what's apped my close friends from home but I find I can't quite get it out to friends here. I've told random people when it's come up- like the bank manager and a girl at my Zumba class but I don't know what's holding me back. Everyone seems so busy and it's like my close friends here all had their two kids around the same time as my eldest two and are now moving on out of the baby stage.
    I'm getting lots and lots of advice re breastfeeding from other Mums my age - who knew it was such a minefield!?!

I found this so exhausting with my first! Much easier with subsequent babies to smile and nod and do what it was you were going to do in the first case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ive told pretty much everyone now, just finished a 3 week stint in Ireland so got it all out of the way! Now on to the american friends! :)

Ive gotten no advice about breast feeding, but lots of chat about what car/buggy to get!

Also a friend is into the reusable nappies, so I got a lot of info on that, and slings/carriers of all kinds. She had me pretty convinced about the nappies when i left - lets see if it sticks!!

Also a friend is into the reusable nappies, so I got a lot of info on that, and slings/carriers of all kinds. She had me pretty convinced about the nappies when i left - lets see if it sticks!!

I used cloth nappies for 6 years. I don't think I would have done it if I was living back in Ireland. Do you live somewhere with significantly less rain and more sunshine, dori?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I used cloth nappies for 6 years. I don't think I would have done it if I was living back in Ireland. Do you live somewhere with significantly less rain and more sunshine, dori?

At the moment yes! But we will have moved back to ireland before Xmas :(

these are the kind my friend is using http://www.amazon.com/Alva-Washable-Reusable-Diaper-Inserts/dp/B00AT60GMM/ref=sr_1_9?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1376334961&sr=1-9&keywords=reusable+nappies+all+in+one

I must admit I am lured in by the long term cost effectiveness especially if used on multiple children ( and this is only my first so heres hoping therell be more!) the lower impact on environment, less chemicals, and especially the pretty colours!!!!!! :D

of course the extra work involved getting them clean is a downside, but she made it look like no extra work when changing/out and about for the 2 days i was with her.

Any other pros/cons I should think about before making this big decision Rosy?

Well you did ask..here's a copy of an email I sent to my friend who asked me about cloth a while back...it's pretty long, sorry:

You've come to the right person...in my sixth year of nappy washing, for my sins. I practically have a phd in poop.

First off, I would say that living in a considerably drier and sunnier climate than Ireland has been a big factor in our decision. If you're looking at it from a solely environmental concern, if you'll be using a drier regularly then there's much of a muchness between cloth and disposables, especially if you're using biodegradable/compostable disposables and have a composting facility (probably wouldn't want to be spreading this on your vege garden tho- a lot of biodegradable plant based 'plastics' are made from gmo cornstarch).

Another big thing is the cost factor- it takes a fair whack to get set up with all the gear. We were lucky that a bunch of mates got together and bought us the initial set. You want to figure out how often you want to wash them as regards how many you get but a good rule of thumb is to get as many as will be a full load of your washing machine, plus enough to get you through as long as it will take you to wash and dry them. If you get less than this you will have to be running the machine before you have a full load which will cost you (and the environment). I know some people just stick a few pee nappies in with their normal wash but I like to wash them really hot with tea tree and baking soda to sterilise them and you don't really want that gear on your other stuff. Once the baby starts eating tho you can soak the food encrusted stuff and wash it with your nappies. I also used cloth pads for my post natal bleed- much gentler on your sensitive bits than synthetic disposable pads- I'd highly recommend you treat yourself to bamboo for the first few days- and soaked and rinsed them with the poo nappies.

The modern style nappies usually have an inner that you change and a cover that you only wash if it gets dirty. We use imse vimse (swedish brand) http://www.imsevimse.co.uk which I found brilliant. They are organic and all natural. The inner parts can be used the whole way up and the covers are sized. We got away with a few newborn sizes, three smalls and five larges. The only thing with using the same inners the whole time is that now, by baby number three the inners are in absolute tatters- really little more than rags. This doesn't bother me too much when you consider their purpose, but I think if I was starting out again planning a large family I would get the kind that the inner part is sized, if you get what i mean? Imse Vimse also do an all in one nappy which I wouldn't go with for everyday use because they take ages to dry but are really handy for when you're out and about- I usually keep one in my handbag.

The advantage of the woollen covers is that when they just have pee on them you can hang them up and air them and they don't smell so you hardly have to wash them. You can treat them with lanolin to make them (semi) waterproof. For watertightness you can't beat a lined PUL laminate, but you have to wash these more frequently.

Other stuff that you will need are a couple of buckets with tight fitting lids and somewhere to store them convenient to your toilet and laundry, a decent washing machine with a separate rinse cycle ( I usually put the poo-ey nappies on a cold rinse cycle with baking soda first) and some kind of system for getting the poo into the toilet...low tech/strong stomach option is a wire scrubbing brush...high tech/convenience option is a spray attachment for your toilet similar to those found in asia (coined by a visitor to our house as 'the ass gun') http://www.methven.com/au/range/home-health/little-squirt/ we have one of these, it is so worth it. Oh and eco detergents, I use tea tree and baking soda as well but its not essential. Also don't bother with paper liners, they are swizz.

We always used cloth from the start, although a lot of people use disposables in the first few weeks. I just felt that it would be easier to start as we wanted to continue and it would be too hard to go back once we started using disposables. Also I felt quite precious about my newborns and didn't want to put anything unnatural on their skin. But you should know that they use far more nappies in the first few weeks as they are adjusting from having everything constantly flowing in and out of them in the womb (this is helpful to keep in mind when they are breastfeeding round the clock too- don't worry, its not forever). Also the first poos are sticky black meconium and a mission to get clean...so enlist some help in the first few weeks from friends and family who are not afraid to get down and dirty....(this is probably a good policy in any case).

Holy moly that's some essay, perhaps I should write a book! Sorry its so lengthy I'm just quite excited that someone else is considering going cloth, I don't think I know anyone in Ireland who does, but its really normal here. It seems like a lot of work but its like baking bread or anything really, once you get into a rhythm of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hello everyone. Count me in here! Number 4 on the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lil2010

Hi all, new to this thread. Im due on 7th Feb 2014. This is my first baby. Really had a reality check today, this time next year (all going to ok) im going to have a little baby to take care of. Super excited and very nervous at the same time. Happy to have this forum now were I can share as its nice to do so with other pregnant ladies who are going through the same thing xx

• Registered Users Posts: 11 haveyoumetted?

Daddy to be here to join the February Club. Due on the 6th of Feb. First Baby. So excited :)

I'm 14 weeks and had severe pain in left ovary area which lasted about 30mins. Went the doc and he couldn't really tell me what it was. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such pain.

Lil2010 wrote: »
    I'm 14 weeks and had severe pain in left ovary area which lasted about 30mins. Went the doc and he couldn't really tell me what it was. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such pain.

I had random tummy cramps in the early days with my third pregnancy- almost like a stitch but lower down. They went away sometime in the second trimester and I have no idea what caused them but my baby did have quite a low lying placenta which thankfully moved up in the third trimester.

Have you had a scan already to rule out an ectopic?

Khannie wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Count me in here! Number 4 on the way. :)

What ages are your others, Khannie? I have a 6yr old (will be 7 when newbie arrives), just turned 5yr old and a nearly 2yr old. I still need to pinch myself sometimes when I think that soon I'll be a mum of 4! My OH had an aul wan in his office yesterday tell him it was irresponsible of us to have four kids as we wouldn't be able to afford to educate them!

Lil2010 wrote: »

I wouldn't be going to the doc myself. For stuff like that we would tend to ring the hospital we're registered with and ask to speak to a midwife.

I'm gonna tell you up front that on your first they are likely to be slightly more dismissive of you.

Also, for what it's worth, my wife has been having pains on her left side lately. Some pain is normal around now with womb growing and what not, but yours sounds particularly bad (hard to tell from what you've said) so some medical advice from a pregnancy focused healthcare professional is on the cards for sure.

What ages are your others, Khannie? I have a 6yr old (will be 7 when newbie arrives), just turned 5yr old and a nearly 2yr old.

You're braver than I am. :D Ours are 15 (16 next month), 6 and 3. The 6 and the 3 year old will be 7 and 4 when baby comes. This is probably our last, barring any accidents, because my wife's having a rough enough pregnancy (definitely our roughest so far). I was hoping for twins for the finish. Not sure why but I've always wanted twins.

The 15 year old is a godsend though. In house babysitter. :) He's a very nice lad too. Not a minutes trouble out of him, touch wood.

Do you plan on having any more? (not at the moment says you)
    I still need to pinch myself sometimes when I think that soon I'll be a mum of 4! My OH had an aul wan in his office yesterday tell him it was irresponsible of us to have four kids as we wouldn't be able to afford to educate them!

What a load of nonsense. I can't abide stuff like that. Keep your nose out lady...what do you think is going to happen? We wont send them to school, like?

My own attitude is this: One more mouth - sure it'll be grand. That probably sounds a bit flippant, but I remember my old boss telling me that if you asked him could his parents (old school Catholic Ireland, no contraception etc) afford a 4th child the answer would have been no, but a fourth came along and everyone got by. Then if you'd asked them could they afford a fifth the answer would have been no, but a fifth came along and everyone got by. I always remember that.

Also, more hugs!

• Advertisement

You're braver than I am. :D Ours are 15 (16 next month), 6 and 3. The 6 and the 3 year old will be 7 and 4 when baby comes. This is probably our last, barring any accidents, because my wife's having a rough enough pregnancy (definitely our roughest so far). I was hoping for twins for the finish. Not sure why but I've always wanted twins.

Hah! Braver or stupider depending on your perspective! None of ours were planned. We'll be looking at some more permanent form of contraception after this one methinks. Hope your wife's ok- is she very sick? I was hospitalised briefly with morning sickness with my third- ondanzatron wafers were a godsend. They're prescription and they're not cheap but they get absorbed directly into your bloodstream so you can't puke them up (sorry if tmi!)
    The 15 year old is a godsend though. In house babysitter. :) He's a very nice lad too. Not a minutes trouble out of him, touch wood.

Sounds like your blessed there- my daughters BFF's family have two teenage girls and two the same age as my younger (middle :eek: ) two and she's driven distracted with her big girls...big emotional meltdowns and the terrible twos are a bad combo!
    What a load of nonsense. I can't abide stuff like that. Keep your nose out lady...what do you think is going to happen? We wont send them to school, like?

We don't live in Ireland so there's no 'free' college, but we won't have to worry about that for another 12 years by which time I'll be earning and we'll have a chunk of the mortgage paid off. Anyway with a seven year split they most likely won't all be in college at once.
    My own attitude is this: One more mouth - sure it'll be grand. That probably sounds a bit flippant, but I remember my old boss telling me that if you asked him could his parents (old school Catholic Ireland, no contraception etc) afford a 4th child the answer would have been no, but a fourth came along and everyone got by. Then if you'd asked them could they afford a fifth the answer would have been no, but a fifth came along and everyone got by. I always remember that.

Also, more hugs!

Definitely! A few more spuds in the pot! My OH had a minor freak out when we considered the cost of transporting the lot of us back to Ireland to visit the family, but we'll work it out. Once you've had one babies hardly cost anything at all, you just reuse all the stuff.

We'll be looking at some more permanent form of contraception after this one methinks.

The "S" word (snip) was mentioned.

Repeatedly.

:(
    Hope your wife's ok- is she very sick? I was hospitalised briefly with morning sickness with my third- ondanzatron wafers were a godsend. They're prescription and they're not cheap but they get absorbed directly into your bloodstream so you can't puke them up (sorry if tmi!)

Not TMI. I wonder if anything is TMI to me any more. :) Thanks, I'll check it out. She's....sore and exhausted and a bit nauseous. The nausea is on the decline now thankfully. The culmination of those things means we're falling behind on basic housework and that's taking its toll too. It'll be grand though. Minor hurdles. :)

How are you getting on yourself?
    Sounds like your blessed there- my daughters BFF's family have two teenage girls and two the same age as my younger (middle :eek: ) two and she's driven distracted with her big girls...big emotional meltdowns and the terrible twos are a bad combo!

Nightmare! Yeah, we have the occasional emotional outburst, but for the most part he's very stable. Definitely a big help this time around. I hear girls are harder work than boys generally. That has definitely held true for us so far.
    We don't live in Ireland so there's no 'free' college, but we won't have to worry about that for another 12 years by which time I'll be earning and we'll have a chunk of the mortgage paid off. Anyway with a seven year split they most likely won't all be in college at once.

Ah, OK. That's a big cost consideration then. It's miles away though / plenty of time to save.

I have had a scan and its defo not ectopic.

Doc was able to to a scan to check the babys heart and all seemed well.
    If the pain comes back again I plan to ring the hospital. I just really got a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Wow, we are finally getting numerous :)
    Week 14 and counting, I felt a first kind of kick the other day (after moving an heavy bag) while pressing my hand on the tummy, so not sure if it was a little kick or a stretched muscle :) (Rosy Posy, when did you start to feel the babies moving?).

Where are you guys going for the birth? I have booked rotunda privately, but I heard great things of a doctor in Holles. Choices, choices.

Rosy, I have read with interest your post on cloth nappies, a friend of mine swears on the http://www.fuzzibunz.com/ , but as you said, leaving in Ireland and having a winter baby (date 8th of February or 13th according to two different doctors) it does not sound like the best choice if based purely on an environmental disposition (as I do not own a tumble dryer and we would need to get one, more likely, if we were going with that choice).

It is the first, we had to wait a lot for it, but it still does not feel real. Even if all the symptoms are there. But, ohmy, for the last scan with the panorama/harmony test I laughed so much as it was moving non stop and the poor doctor took 20 minutes to get a moment of grace to grab the measurement. If this is the preview, we'll have lots to keep our hands busy :)

(but then again, this is how I was as a child, it must be karma :)

I hope your nausea and pains are easing off, as mine definitely decided to keep me company!
    M.

The "S" word (snip) was mentioned.

Repeatedly.

:(

Mr Posy is all for it. We're obviously crap at contraception. His Da and a few of our mates have had it and it seems grand. He tried to persuade me to go down the tubal ligation route but I told him where to go. I've sacrificed enough of my body for this family, it's time to redress the balance somewhat.
    Not TMI. I wonder if anything is TMI to me any more. :) Thanks, I'll check it out. She's....sore and exhausted and a bit nauseous. The nausea is on the decline now thankfully. The culmination of those things means we're falling behind on basic housework and that's taking its toll too. It'll be grand though. Minor hurdles. :)

How are you getting on yourself?

I think a lot of it is lowering expectations. I'm lucky that I've managed to get a bit of help with the housework and childcare. We have no family support at all so we both feel its justified. We're both fairly laid back about the state of the house as well. Clean-yes. Tidy-no. I had such a horrific early pregnancy last time that this feels like a walk in the park by comparison even though I've been feeling fairly seedy and vomited at least once a day. Less tired now than I have been and we've planned a family holiday next month so I should get a chance to put the feet up.
    Nightmare! Yeah, we have the occasional emotional outburst, but for the most part he's very stable. Definitely a big help this time around. I hear girls are harder work than boys generally. That has definitely held true for us so far.

'Boys wreck your house, girls wreck your head!' I think toddler boys are harder, especially when they go through the 4yo testosterone surge, but that generally teenage girls are harder. All kids are different though- boy do you learn that when you've got a few. It's a great realisation actually to know that you're not actually responsible for moulding a human being, you just have to put a few manners on them and allow them the space to become themselves!
    Ah, OK. That's a big cost consideration then. It's miles away though / plenty of time to save.

They're still all Irish citizens so the option of availing of 'free' third level will still be there, presuming that's still on offer in twelve years time. No guarantees with the way the country's heading. It's a long way off, I've certainly got bigger concerns in my life atm!

marysnow wrote: »
    Wow, we are finally getting numerous :)
    Week 14 and counting, I felt a first kind of kick the other day (after moving an heavy bag) while pressing my hand on the tummy, so not sure if it was a little kick or a stretched muscle :) (Rosy Posy, when did you start to feel the babies moving?).

I felt a few flutterings the other day- I seem to notice it when I'm resting most of all. I always felt movement quite early. Congratulations on your first kicks, Mary!
    Where are you guys going for the birth? I have booked rotunda privately, but I heard great things of a doctor in Holles. Choices, choices.

I'm having my baby at home. We had our last at home in the pool and it was such a great experience. I put my birth story up in the birth stories thread. We're lucky to have had the same midwife for all our births. She's amazing and she really gets me.
    Rosy, I have read with interest your post on cloth nappies, a friend of mine swears on the http://www.fuzzibunz.com/ , but as you said, leaving in Ireland and having a winter baby (date 8th of February or 13th according to two different doctors) it does not sound like the best choice if based purely on an environmental disposition (as I do not own a tumble dryer and we would need to get one, more likely, if we were going with that choice).

You could always use a combination of both, that way you can use your cloth and wash them and dry them on you radiators/drying racks in your own time, and use disposables while you're waiting for them to be dry, or use disposables while you're out and about and cloth at home.

Hi all, is anyone else uncomfortable sleeping at night already? Im 16 weeks now and thought I would only get uncomfortable towards the end of my pregnancy, but am finding my sleep disturbed by my tummy already, probably because I normally sleep on my tummy. I am thinking of purchasing a pregnancy pillow. Any tips on which one to buy?

My wife is. We have a long pillow (like 5 foot ish) that she uses from a previous pregnancy. I bought it on ebay at the time. I'll see if I can dig out the seller if you like?

My wife is. We have a long pillow (like 5 foot ish) that she uses from a previous pregnancy. I bought it on ebay at the time. I'll see if I can dig out the seller if you like?

I had a few pregnancy massages over the years and the lady used a long sausage like pillow that you could wind around yourself and the bump as you like. It wasn't very firmly stuffed. I don't know about those giant ushaped ones. Luckily I've never had a problem sleeping- anytime anywhere!

• Advertisement

I had a few pregnancy massages over the years and the lady used a long sausage like pillow that you could wind around yourself and the bump as you like. It wasn't very firmly stuffed. I don't know about those giant ushaped ones. Luckily I've never had a problem sleeping- anytime anywhere!

Advertisement