Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

From this article it looks like nuts can actually reduce your child's chances of having asthma or other allergies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9503860/Eating-nuts-in-pregnancy-reduces-chance-of-childhood-allergy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lil2010

SO STRESSED OUT! Im 22 weeks today, and really happy about that and that everything is going well with baby. BUT... Im finding im really forgetful and keep making stuiped mistakes in work, im really concerned about getting fired or into trouble. Any one else feeling forgetful or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Lil2010 wrote: »
    SO STRESSED OUT! Im 22 weeks today, and really happy about that and that everything is going well with baby. BUT... Im finding im really forgetful and keep making stuiped mistakes in work, im really concerned about getting fired or into trouble. Any one else feeling forgetful or is it just me?

Hey, I'm over from the Dec thread, just wanted to say I've really struggled with memory right the way through and to be honest has gotten worse in the last few weeks. Feel like I've got permanent brain fog. The only thing that has kinda work for me is having a notebook and immediately writing down things I need to remember....the only prob is then trying to remember where the bloody thing is.

It's really horrible as I always had a great memory before.

Thanks Sweet pea, ive started writing everything down now. My big problem is that we have new management and they dont know me. Worked for my prevouis manager for 8 years and he would have known this is not normal for me. Im wondering if they can actually fire me if they wanted to or do I have more rights because im pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Pregnancy and forgetfulness go hand in hand. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Has anyone said anything to you? You will NOT be fired for being forgetful before being given verbal and then written warnings (at which point you'll be off on maternity leave).

I would suggest using technology and online tools to help too. Google calendar works really well with smartphones for reminders. Stick something in the calendar then forget about it. You'll get a reminder when you set it for (by text if you like).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

So we had another big scan today at 21 weeks. Doc spent about 20 min with us, showing brain, heart etc. Everything is very symmetrical! (thats apparently a good thing :)) Couldnt believe how much bigger he was on the screen since last time! Also we double checked - its still a boy! :)

Baby was being uncooperative again so we still dont have a good picture! So I dont think Ill get one at this stage. Awh well his baby book can just have a pic of him as a peanut @8 weeks and one of his arm or something!

Im feeling forgetful and flustered all the time too, but I think its a combination of all the moving stress and the fact that I cant seem to get more than 6 hours sleep a night. I wake up every time I try and roll over as its a strain on my belly.

Im gonna miss the 5* ob/gyn treatment here!

Im gonna miss the 5* ob/gyn treatment here!

You're planning on coming back here, is that right?

Khannie wrote: »
    You're planning on coming back here, is that right?

Yes we arrive back to Ireland this Saturday :(

Trying to think on the bright side - how baby will grow up close to family and all that. :(

I don't know how anyone holds down a normal job in pregnancy. I'm useless after 3pm...I forgot the word 'fruit' the other day. My mil was a consultant right up to the end of her four pregnancies. She said you just get on with it. I'd be cacking myself I'd make a mistake. I'm just about competent enough to keep an eye on the kids and make dinner- I really try to squeeze everything else in to the morning.

Yes we arrive back to Ireland this Saturday :(

Trying to think on the bright side - how baby will grow up close to family and all that. :(

Eh...think on the bright side....IRELAND ROCKS! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

Seriously - there is nowhere I would rather raise a child.

WOOOOOO! IRELAND!!!!

I mean the place isn't faultless, but it's pretty decent.

• Advertisement

Had my scan today- it was great because there was a trainee midwife in with the radiologist so she went through everything really slowly and explained exactly what she was doing and what it all meant. We almost had a change of heart and were going to have a peek at the sex but stuck to the plan in the end. A surprise is nice and gives us something to speculate about over the next four months. The size of baby was put at 22 weeks, which is a week ahead of what we were told first, but more likely given the conception date that we had thought, but I'm going to officially go with the later date since the eight week scan is more accurate and also it takes the pressure off with induction since all my others were late. Baby was moving around heaps and my youngest thought it looked like a monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

where did u have ur scan Rosy Posy? I am going to Ballinasloe and you only get one scan at 15 weeks. I would like to have another one. I might go for a private one but a friend told me not to bother and to spend the approx 100euro on something for baby instead. Im undecided now!! Baby is kicking mad since Sunday like hardly letting up at all... I dont mind one bit its actually really cool to be finally feeling it properly... but What will it be like in a couple of months - my tummy will be hopping all over the place!! ha.. excitement!!
    didnt chance the snickers yet :( I am still kinda afraid. if the craving gets bad enough ill just have to succumb! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

clareames wrote: »
    where did u have ur scan Rosy Posy? I am going to Ballinasloe and you only get one scan at 15 weeks. I would like to have another one. I might go for a private one but a friend told me not to bother and to spend the approx 100euro on something for baby instead. Im undecided now!! Baby is kicking mad since Sunday like hardly letting up at all... I dont mind one bit its actually really cool to be finally feeling it properly... but What will it be like in a couple of months - my tummy will be hopping all over the place!! ha.. excitement!!
    didnt chance the snickers yet :( I am still kinda afraid. if the craving gets bad enough ill just have to succumb! :)

Me and my partner only had our scan at lik 18 weeks and won't have another one till December and we were told it was "still early to tell the sex" so we decided to go private we're paying 180 for a 3d scan and were getting that done on the 26th of this month out in a place in ballincollig.. We don't care about the price or anything we just want to see our little boy/girl again and to find out what the sex is...also on the 26th I will be exactly 25 weeks :)

We're in New Zealand. Afaik they give you as many scans as you want/need for free on public. It's an amazing system IMHO. It's midwife led so I guess they save a bit on doctors fees, but the continuity of care is brilliant. You see the same midwife or her partner the whole way through, for your delivery and for the first six weeks they come to your house, daily if necessary. There's also someone at the end of the phone 24/7, but you can text if it's not urgent. It's great now, I've had the same midwife for all my pregnancies and we're like old friends.

My preference is for less scans but we had the initial dating scan at around 8 weeks as I'd just had a miscarriage so we had no lmp to get a date from. I actually had quite a few scans in my last pregnancy. They gave me one in the hospital at my request as I was hospitalised for 'morning' sickness and dehydration as I hadn't kept anything down in a week and I was paranoid. It was too early to hear the foetal heartbeat with a Doppler so they actually wheeled down a mini ultrasound from somewhere to reassure me! Then at the standard 20 week scan there was a low lying placenta so they brought me back for another at the start of the third trimester to rule out placenta previa. I only had one with the second baby, and with the first I had the one and also paid for the 3D because I was so excited!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    We're in New Zealand. Afaik they give you as many scans as you want/need for free on public. It's an amazing system IMHO. It's midwife led so I guess they save a bit on doctors fees, but the continuity of care is brilliant. You see the same midwife or her partner the whole way through, for your delivery and for the first six weeks they come to your house, daily if necessary. There's also someone at the end of the phone 24/7, but you can text if it's not urgent. It's great now, I've had the same midwife for all my pregnancies and we're like old friends.

Wow. That does sound really good.

Wow. That does sound really good.

It's great, at least it really suits me anyway. I know some women who would feel more secure with ob-gyn care and you really don't see one unless there's a problem. I have a friend who's had recurrent fertility issues and she sees a consultant all the way through, and she's Irish with residency, same as us.

It's all free as well and there's no such thing as a labour ward or shared rooms after baby is born- the delivery suites are massive with either a birthing pool or a bath, swiss-ball, beanbags, CD player (you can bring your own music), then afterwards they give you your own room with baby and provide lazy boy type recliners for dads to stay too! It's pretty amazing really. It hacks me off when people here give out about the medical system- I've heard people grumble because they had to wait an hour to be seen in a&e!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

The services you describe for NZ are even more amazing if you think that, in terms of population, NZ and Ireland are not so far. We are here less than 5 million and you are around 4.3/4.5 .

And the maternity hospitals here are so jammed that is not even funny. 6 people per room is just crazy, if you ask me. And even going private, you are not guaranteed a private room, but you still pay the full price.

Anyhow, better not think of the delivery as I am already freaking out, I am really, really terrorised by it!

wow i want to move to NZ... sounds great! I must look up the 3D Scans so and book one. Id love to see it again and also just to be sure things are going the right way. I sometimes feel im a bit premature looking at things and deciding on things but i want to get as much done while I have some energy! Hubby is like 'theres no rush, plenty of time' but i am also a bit of a procastinator whereas i want to do something but 3 weeks later its still not done! ha ha...

Regarding the delivery - when we were going for our first scan I was like SH*ting myself the whole drive over imagining myself in labour and we stuck behind a bloody bus!! i was nearly crying..

Pregnancy and forgetfulness go hand in hand. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Has anyone said anything to you? You will NOT be fired for being forgetful before being given verbal and then written warnings (at which point you'll be off on maternity leave).

I would suggest using technology and online tools to help too. Google calendar works really well with smartphones for reminders. Stick something in the calendar then forget about it. You'll get a reminder when you set it for (by text if you like).

Thanks. No one has said anything yet. I made some silly mistakes and caused the company a small amount of money, so its just worrying. I'll try not to get stressed over it, I know stress is not good for baby x

clareames wrote: »
    Regarding the delivery - when we were going for our first scan I was like SH*ting myself the whole drive over imagining myself in labour and we stuck behind a bloody bus!! i was nearly crying..

No worries of that if you have your baby at home :) ...I know it's not for everyone but we had our last at home and it was great. Hoping for another home delivery this time too but you never know how things will go.

• Advertisement

marysnow wrote: »
    The services you describe for NZ are even more amazing if you think that, in terms of population, NZ and Ireland are not so far. We are here less than 5 million and you are around 4.3/4.5 .

I really think they save a lot on having pretty much no doctors fees for low risk pregnancies and normal births.
    And the maternity hospitals here are so jammed that is not even funny. 6 people per room is just crazy, if you ask me. And even going private, you are not guaranteed a private room, but you still pay the full price.

I think that the facilities are exactly the same here whether you go private or not, you just get to see a consultant if you want to and don't need to. I don't know anyone who has gone private here- we have good insurance and I'm sure we would be entitled to private care but I'm more than happy with the public service so I never availed of it.
    Anyhow, better not think of the delivery as I am already freaking out, I am really, really terrorised by it!

I felt like this the first time around. I went to a home birth support group and found that listening to other peoples birth stories first hand really helped, especially realising that it doesn't always go the way you've planned. I also did a positive birthing class which was a combination of yoga, breathing techniques, and information. The biggest thing for me was letting go of control. In some ways it reminds me of taking hallucinogens (apologies if anyone is offended...I did experiment in the dim and distant past) you can either fight it, freak out and have a bad trip or you can try to relax and go with it- either way, once it starts there's no stopping it or going back till you've reached the conclusion!

Thanks. No one has said anything yet. I made some silly mistakes and caused the company a small amount of money, so its just worrying.

Ah yeah...wouldn't worry about that in the slightest. Everyone makes mistakes and they all cost money. :)
    I'll try not to get stressed over it, I know stress is not good for baby x

This reminds me of one of my favourite oxymorons - Hurry up and relax! :D

I recently downloaded a lullaby app to my phone to play to my bump whilst I am relaxing - heard this is meant to be good for when baby is born to get them to relax... is this a myth or what do ye think? Hubby thinks I am mad or at least thats what he is sayin!!

Hiya all! How are your bumps doing?

I am recovering after the painful ligament/sciatic thing and I am actually starting to be affected by pregnancy brain loss :( It is unreal, My efficiency decreased so much!!!

The lats week I drank Pepsi max (which I cut off for a long while to avoid affect the baba) and I drank quite lot of it, completely oblivion of the caffeine content!!! It did not hit my brain at all!!!

And last week I freaked out thinking I cooked the baba because I had a boiling water bottle that slipped from under my back to under the side of my bump as I was resting on my side...I put the bottle under my back and I fell asleep in 30 seconds, moving probably straight after. I got so panicked.

So, scary moments apart, all proceeds and in two weeks we will have the monthly scan to see how baba is doing. I am dying to see the little one moving o the screen, as I still cannot feel a thing.

Dori should be now in Ireland and thanks Rosy for your suggestions. I had a look at the aussie brand for underwear: it is gorgeous looking indeed and it seems well done (at least in the choice of materials). May go to the shop here in Dublin and have a look for a treat as it looks pricey indeed.

So tired now, going for an afternoon nap as I am working from home thanks to the fact that I can still barely walk!

Take care you all :)

Yes I'm home! Hateing the cold :(

Going to my gp tomorrow to sign up for the combined care with the coombe. Hopefully I'll still be able to go semi private but ill find out soon enough. Baby getting very active in the evening time- my sisters were really excited to feel him kick at the weekend.

I'm freezing all the time, and my only winter coat is getting tight. More expenses!

MIL has already knit 2 blue cardigans!

Dori I think you can join the semi priate at any time, especially if you were out of the country so far and lately i have only heard very good things about the Coombe.

For the jacket, I was looking at a mamas and papas one for 130 euro that looks like a kind of poncho, but it looks much prettier on the web than in the shop

My MIL will do them too, not sure she started yet though. I am looking for some birth sampler to cross stitch and for an afghan to cove the cot with. My gran (which is the baby great granma :) is making already a pure wool blanket, she made one for each great grand child, so it is a tradition I really care about :) You will cherish those little things :)

Welcome back home :)

Thanks !

I was told that all the docs might be booked up already, and might have to go public. My gp also suggested going to the Naas clinic , but its a longer drive for the hubby from work if he wants to join the scans etc. he was bulling when I told him I heard the heartbeat at the GPs !

Just have to wait and see!

Doing some baby stuff window shopping at the weekend probably tony kealeys. Think the Mil is planning 3-4 cardigans of every size ! I can't wait for my sewing machine to get here so I can start a quilt!

Also I have to buy more clothes- I have almost zero winter clothes, and none that fit! Grr. I hate clothes shopping..

My mum is also on my case about every little decision we have made ( she thinks they are all my decisions, not discussed with hubby) like limited sweets and McDonald's when the kid is older, limited tv and electronics ( although we are both engineers so I don't know how that'll pan out) she says she has a right to give her grandson whatever she wants! I have controlled myself so far and only given her shocked looks behind her back!:eek:

Also my family have decided that we NEED a steriliser. Even though we've both said no, it's not on the list. I've only been home Less than a week, and feel I need a holiday already!

can any of u girls help me... My hubby has been so fantastic these past few months looking after me, cooking cleaning etc etc. I want to show him how much i appreciate it spending as little as possible because he will not appreciate me spending lots of money! I am going to bake him is fave cake this weekend so that will be nice but is there anything ye can think of. Also the sex thing is not working so have to rule that out kinda and he is great for not pestering me as he knows its sore and uncomfortable. I really want to do something nice for him or make a gesture of some sort but cannot think of a thing! Help!!

The last few days I have been feeling very agitated and very annoyed at everything. Just in general bad form.

Has anyone else had this? Im wondering if its the preganncy hormone? I hate feeling like this. Feel like I want to scream.

Im having little chats with myself saying, come on you should be really happy theres a little baby on the way but its not working.

Anyone any suggestions to ease it.

• Advertisement

The last few days I have been feeling very agitated and very annoyed at everything. Just in general bad form.

Has anyone else had this? Im wondering if its the preganncy hormone? I hate feeling like this. Feel like I want to scream.

Im having little chats with myself saying, come on you should be really happy theres a little baby on the way but its not working.

Anyone any suggestions to ease it.

Feeling alot better today, guess it was my horrible hormones playing games with me. Have a nice day everyone :)

Advertisement