Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Has anyone else lost weight during pregnancy? I started out at 15 stone, at 16 weeks I was 14 stone 8lbs and now at 23 weeks, I am still 14 stone 8. I was overweight to start with though and I have been eating WAY healthier and moving around A LOT more since I hit 12 weeks (went back to work after 6 months of sitting around at home eating :o ) Doctor weighed me and didn't mention it at last appointment so I assume there's nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Has anyone else lost weight during pregnancy? I started out at 15 stone, at 16 weeks I was 14 stone 8lbs and now at 23 weeks, I am still 14 stone 8. I was overweight to start with though and I have been eating WAY healthier and moving around A LOT more since I hit 12 weeks (went back to work after 6 months of sitting around at home eating :o ) Doctor weighed me and didn't mention it at last appointment so I assume there's nothing to worry about.

I put on about half a stone at the very start, then lost 1.5 stone, and I've stayed the same since (I'm 29 weeks now.) The baby's size is fine, so I'm not worried about it. :) I'd say I might pile on the weight in the next couple of months though!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

At the start of the pregnancy I lost weight at 3 months I was just under the 9 stone
    I am now 24W5D and I'm just on the 10 stone... Baby is healthy size which is good thank god.. If that wasn't good think gp would of saying something.. Last couple of days tho OH is making me eat more meat/chicken as i usually only eat a tiny proportions..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

clareames wrote: »
    can any of u girls help me... My hubby has been so fantastic these past few months looking after me, cooking cleaning etc etc. I want to show him how much i appreciate it spending as little as possible because he will not appreciate me spending lots of money! I am going to bake him is fave cake this weekend so that will be nice but is there anything ye can think of. Also the sex thing is not working so have to rule that out kinda and he is great for not pestering me as he knows its sore and uncomfortable. I really want to do something nice for him or make a gesture of some sort but cannot think of a thing! Help!!

Hi Clareames,
    I would cook a nice dinner, rent a nice DVD or buy him a box set (on offer ;) that you know he would like, and spend some quality time with him.

This will also make him feel better thinking that you feel better.

The cake is a sweek thing.

Another thing, if he is a sweet tooth, would be to give him a lot of sweets :)

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

can any of u girls help me...

It's perhaps the men in here you should be asking. ;)

So I'm gonna suggest the thing that was most obvious to me, and I hope you don't take offence to this because we're all adults here, but there are other sexual things apart from sex that you can do to make a man very happy, if you get my drift.

Other than the thing that was most obvious to me - I do love a good steak, movie and a few drinks of an evening. All of which you could get for definitely under 20 euro.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Khannie wrote: »
    It's perhaps the men in here you should be asking. ;)

So I'm gonna suggest the thing that was most obvious to me, and I hope you don't take offence to this because we're all adults here, but there are other sexual things apart from sex that you can do to make a man very happy, if you get my drift.

Other than the thing that was most obvious to me - I do love a good steak, movie and a few drinks of an evening. All of which you could get for definitely under 20 euro.

Hope that helps.

Lol, when I read your post, Clare, I immediately though steak and a blowjob! Sorry for being crude...and also forgive me if I go on to be frank...

I get what your saying about you're saying about your husband being lovely about not pestering you for sex and of course that's as it should be but just be prepared that the way you're feeling now may not be a short term thing. I know everyone is different in themselves and in their relationship but for me I didn't really go off sex too much in the pregnancies (apart from the effects of the debilitating tiredness) but after the babies were born it was a different story. It was a combination of factors really- the physical effects of the birth meant that going 'down there' was a bit scary for a while, as well as the leaky boobs, the physical demands of looking after a new baby, and the fact that my post pregnancy flabby body didn't make me feel particularly sexy. Also, hormonally I didn't really get my libido back fully until my cycle returned, which for me was when my babies were fully weaned after a year of breastfeeding. The biggest hurdle for me though was psychological- it took me three babies and a lot of active work on the issue to reconcile my motherhood with my sexuality- the two things just seemed like polar opposites to me (which is silly when you think about it- there can be no mothers without sex). What I'm saying is that, in my opinion, while the mother is going through this rollercoaster, the partners sexual needs are unchanged and ignoring this can put the relationship under strain. I think this is especially true for a lot of men who tend to equate sexual contact with love and intimacy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second that anyone should do anything sexually or otherwise that they're uncomfortable with but when you think about it, oral or manual, its ten minutes out of your day, its not particularly invasive, and it goes a long way to making a man feel that his needs are important to you. I know that we women carry the majority of the physical burden of childbearing and rearing but, especially in the first pregnancy, there is so much focus on the mother and her needs, and then later its all about the infant and their needs that men can come out feeling that their needs count for nothing in the overall picture of the family. I really hope that this is taken in the spirit that its offered and not offensive to anyone :)

Lil2010 wrote: »
    Feeling alot better today, guess it was my horrible hormones playing games with me. Have a nice day everyone :)

Was going to ask you if you were getting enough sleep? I try to get a minimum of eight hours but at least twice a week I'll go for a marathon kip of 10-12hours. I know everyone's needs are different but really if I don't manage this I'm like a bear!

Super post there Rosy Posy. Very insightful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

wow thanks everyone for the replies... I have been saying to him last few days, we should have an early night and maybe not go straight to sleep - like id text him during the day so to get him excited but then every night its nearly 12 o clock by time we actually get to bed. its so tiresome then. and he is wrecked too. working all day, farming all evening and looking after his parents who are time consuming in the evenings! I guess im gona have to make him take an evening off and do the whole steak thing and obviously yes we are all adults so the blowjob thing didnt offend me in the least!! He loved his cake which i made last weekend even tho it didnt rise fully but hopefully before this weekend out something else will have risen instead ha ha LOL!! I love this thread, great advice always given from lovely women so thanks so so much!! I will let ye know how i get on!! :);)

great advice always given from lovely women

*cough*

Not a woman.

*cough*

• Advertisement

ah sorry Khannie! I presume u are on this thread because ur partner is due a baby in February??? if so then Congrats :):)

Yep. Number 4. :)

I will definitely take heed of your advice so as U seem to be an expert by now.... Ha ha.. best of luck!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Lol, when I read your post, Clare, I immediately though steak and a blowjob! Sorry for being crude...and also forgive me if I go on to be frank...

I get what your saying about you're saying about your husband being lovely about not pestering you for sex and of course that's as it should be but just be prepared that the way you're feeling now may not be a short term thing. I know everyone is different in themselves and in their relationship but for me I didn't really go off sex too much in the pregnancies (apart from the effects of the debilitating tiredness) but after the babies were born it was a different story. It was a combination of factors really- the physical effects of the birth meant that going 'down there' was a bit scary for a while, as well as the leaky boobs, the physical demands of looking after a new baby, and the fact that my post pregnancy flabby body didn't make me feel particularly sexy. Also, hormonally I didn't really get my libido back fully until my cycle returned, which for me was when my babies were fully weaned after a year of breastfeeding. The biggest hurdle for me though was psychological- it took me three babies and a lot of active work on the issue to reconcile my motherhood with my sexuality- the two things just seemed like polar opposites to me (which is silly when you think about it- there can be no mothers without sex). What I'm saying is that, in my opinion, while the mother is going through this rollercoaster, the partners sexual needs are unchanged and ignoring this can put the relationship under strain. I think this is especially true for a lot of men who tend to equate sexual contact with love and intimacy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second that anyone should do anything sexually or otherwise that they're uncomfortable with but when you think about it, oral or manual, its ten minutes out of your day, its not particularly invasive, and it goes a long way to making a man feel that his needs are important to you. I know that we women carry the majority of the physical burden of childbearing and rearing but, especially in the first pregnancy, there is so much focus on the mother and her needs, and then later its all about the infant and their needs that men can come out feeling that their needs count for nothing in the overall picture of the family. I really hope that this is taken in the spirit that its offered and not offensive to anyone :)

Some parts of this made me laugh :)

And the other rarse a couple of interesting points.
    From my point of view the libido, if anything, has increased drastically with the pregnancy. And I mean it. Maybe because I did not feel much different (pains here and there aside) and maybe because I still cannot feel the baby moving. So, at the moment, I do not have any adversion to the funny side.

However, I remember that, after seeing baba for the first time, in the scan, hubby looked at me as if I became suddenly an alien! Thankfully, he is a clever man and coped on quite quickly ;)

I always thought that the discomfort with sex would have been more in pregnancy, never thought that your perception of your body might became alienating after the birth of a baby. Surely, when this happens, it takes lots of work to reunite the two roles into one body.

Thanks for sharing, Rosy, this was definitely food for thoughts!

M.

marysnow wrote: »
    Some parts of this made me laugh :)

And the other rarse a couple of interesting points.
    From my point of view the libido, if anything, has increased drastically with the pregnancy. And I mean it. Maybe because I did not feel much different (pains here and there aside) and maybe because I still cannot feel the baby moving. So, at the moment, I do not have any adversion to the funny side.

However, I remember that, after seeing baba for the first time, in the scan, hubby looked at me as if I became suddenly an alien! Thankfully, he is a clever man and coped on quite quickly ;)

I always thought that the discomfort with sex would have been more in pregnancy, never thought that your perception of your body might became alienating after the birth of a baby. Surely, when this happens, it takes lots of work to reunite the two roles into one body.

Thanks for sharing, Rosy, this was definitely food for thoughts!

M.

Sorry for the long quote. I dont think its anything about feeling sexy or that. its more that it hurts when we do it... like im just being poked. defo no pleasure in it at all. when we 'make out' my hubby is all over me and rubs my belly lots so as to reassure me it not turning him off... maybe i need to try some diff positions - what do ye think? is there any particular position ye would recommend?? sorry to be getting into the nitty gritty but thats the great thing about being anonymous - am i right???? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lil2010

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Was going to ask you if you were getting enough sleep? I try to get a minimum of eight hours but at least twice a week I'll go for a marathon kip of 10-12hours. I know everyone's needs are different but really if I don't manage this I'm like a bear!

Hey Rosy Posy, no not sleeping at all. Am just too uncomfortable and keep waking through out the night, have tried all the tricks in the book with pillows etc but it doesnt work.

Lil2010 wrote: »
    Hey Rosy Posy, no not sleeping at all. Am just too uncomfortable and keep waking through out the night, have tried all the tricks in the book with pillows etc but it doesnt work.

That sounds awful. I just couldn't cope at all if I didn't get loads of rest. I have to say I'm struggling this week with hormones and mood swings. I can rationalise it by knowing that it's just the pregnancy and my world isn't actually turning to shyte but it's bloody hard in the moment!

Hey, Have any of ye bought your buggies/travel systems yet? What did ye opt for? new or secondhand? also What do ye plan on putting baby to sleep in as a new born? cot/moses basket or pram part of travel system? Seen an ad on donedeal recently selling a crib and was wondering about one of them but some say its a waste when have moses basket and pram. BUT i really dont know. I am so so confused as to what we should be investing in.
    on the sleeping thing, its so uncomfortable now. Cant get comfy on either side, all i want to do is sleep on my back but thats sore and not recommended... if only I could down a few glasses of wine to comatose myself!!! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'm not sleeping either, couple of hours then I get a leg cramp or need the loo and then I'm awake most of the night.

We are looking at the uppababy vista in green! I'm so excited - it's so pretty!

We just bought a changing table/dresser in mamas and papas, was on sale. We were having trouble picking one as they were all 400+ or cheap plastic at 100 euro. Was annoying me like crazy!

Baby is going into a borrowed Moses basket for the first while. Then a cot in our room. Wouldn't feel comfortable having the baby sleeping in the pram every night even though some are approved for it, but that's just me!

Just be sure the pram is actually approved for it - I believe the popular bugaboo chameleon isn't .

some travel systems are crazy prices. I was actualy looking at Bexa brand (think its polish) the whole lot for under 500euro. Maybe i should stick to Irish brands?? I suppose the moses basket and then into the cot when its older is probably the way to go. that way Moses baskets dont cost a fortune and are handy for transporting/carrying! We wer given a cot so thats is one saving... just need new mattress and bedding for that...
    We only decided last week to do up room for baby. Im dying to get at it but sure if baby is going to be in our room for 6 months is there any point? I suppose thats wher babys things will actually go then instead of being strewn all over the house in diff rooms!! exciting times ahead - if only it werent so confusing and tiring!! :D

• Advertisement

We have a ridiculous number of baby beds... The hammock thing is brilliant especially for day sleeps but I'm wary about getting them used to sleeping in it the whole time or it's really difficult to transition to a stationary bed. We also have a Moses basket (borrowed but we got a new mattress for our last baby), a small antique cot that's high with low sides for until baby can sit up by themselves, a normal sized antique cot for until they start jumping around, and a toddler bed that's basically an American sized cot with sides but is really solid (can handle rough and tumble) and looks a bit more like a bed. We've got a borrowed capsule, and then by the time baby's ready to come out of that all the others can move up a car seat and my eldest can just have a booster base. We've also got a sling and an old Oxley pram with a toddler seat. None of its new or particularly flash but it's stood the test of time. I always think that with baby stuff if it's going to break it will do so on the first child, once it's survived one it's sturdy enough for several more :)

We only decided last week to do up room for baby. Im dying to get at it but sure if baby is going to be in our room for 6 months is there any point? I suppose thats wher babys things will actually go then instead of being strewn all over the house in diff rooms!! exciting times ahead - if only it werent so confusing and tiring!! :D

If I were you I'd do it now if you can. For the first 3-6months I'd consider having washed hair and clothes a major achievement, never mind trying to decorate!

Thanks Rosy Posy for all that!! Now im twice as confused... BUT its good to know that there cant be too many sleeping items as I was saying last night to hubby that we will be waking baby up just to move it to a different place to sleep there will be so many!! ha.. Gona go order my moses Basket today and enquire about a travel system - baby elegance... gona leave the Bexa one as lots of people say its REALLY bulky and awkward so will just go with something lighter and baby elegance will be in our budget so fingers crossed!
    The next thing is to get rid of the junk room and make it nice for baby.. Threadmill and Ab Circle Pro and Weights bench can find a new home!! I will have great intentions after baby comes but i figure it wil be better to get out for a walk in fresh air instead so thats my theory anyway!!

Argh! I have started getting practice contractions (so-called 'Braxton-Hicks'...I have issues with using a C19th man's name to describe what women have been experiencing for millennia). Not sore but definite contractions. Feels way too early for 25/26 weeks but I googled it and apparently you get them earlier and earlier with each pregnancy. Between that and worse and worse after pains with every birth I'll be the uterine equivalent of Mrs Universe by the end of this!

BUT its good to know that there cant be too many sleeping items as I was saying last night to hubby that we will be waking baby up just to move it to a different place to sleep there will be so many!!
    Lol, my oh would disagree- the clutter drives him mad! We just sort of acquired most of the stuff although I did end up spending a bit on nice new mattresses for the old stuff which isn't cheap if they're not standard sizes. They spend so much time in bed though it's worth buying quality (IMO).
    Threadmill and Ab Circle Pro and Weights bench can find a new home!! I will have great intentions after baby comes but i figure it wil be better to get out for a walk in fresh air instead so thats my theory anyway!!

I would love that gear at home! We have stuff in the shed but all the weights are too heavy and I don't think I'm ever going to be able to do a chin up. It'll be running and roller skating for me, maybe the odd Zumba DVD or a bounce on the kids trampoline (not too soon after the birth!!)

I'm not sleeping either, couple of hours then I get a leg cramp or need the loo and then I'm awake most of the night.

We are looking at the uppababy vista in green! I'm so excited - it's so pretty!

We just bought a changing table/dresser in mamas and papas, was on sale. We were having trouble picking one as they were all 400+ or cheap plastic at 100 euro. Was annoying me like crazy!

Baby is going into a borrowed Moses basket for the first while. Then a cot in our room. Wouldn't feel comfortable having the baby sleeping in the pram every night even though some are approved for it, but that's just me!

Just be sure the pram is actually approved for it - I believe the popular bugaboo chameleon isn't .

Hi Dori, how is it going? I felt your pain with everyone telling you what you should do, etc. I think it is normal. My reaction is nodding and smiling and if I don't agree, no point in making sure it comes across :)

We looked everywhere for the pram set (and I mean it, everywhere), but I have finally found some sort of thing that I like. I want a carry cot that has the possibility or raising the baby's upper body, as some babies do suffer from reflux. You can buy an additional mattress, but I wanted something more dynamic. Up when is needed, flat down when is not. In Eurobaby we found this neonate set that has it all, only things I am not in love are: the two handles instead of a big single one bar and the fact that the car seat is not an isofix. It is made in Italy, so I have some trust, but the fact that is costs 500 euro the whole package, means that if I feel so uncomfortable, I can buy the isofix car seat as extra and I would still be below the 800 euro mark that seems to be the bare minimum for the sets in all major shops (mothercare, mamas and papas and so on).

For the rest, we are working on the house, will do the shopping late in December.

Have a nice week end everyone :)

We went to euro baby last weekend to have a look. To be honest I wasn't terribley impressed. Maybe cos its not cute and fun like other baby shops with all the bikes around! Their cots seemed cheap to me, and when we went upstairs to look at the buggies, even though it was very pretty with all the prams and matching seats laid out there was no staff! We were there about 30 min before someone came near us, and then she had to run off for 5 min to check the price of a mattress. Terrible service so we decided not to bother asking her another question as she clearly didn't know her stuff. Any other shop we have been to say they don't give the branded car seats with the travel systems - only the maxi cosi or the besafe at no extra cost. Mainly cos no one wants them.

We had our first visit to the coombe yesterday! :)
    Was in there for 8am and all went smoothly. Out by 10.30 and very little queuing. registered, saw a lovely midwife, got some bloods taken, and got an Unscheduled ultrasound! I was a bit sceptical about the ultrasound because I heard stories that the equipment isn't the best/ they rush you but she was really nice and did a 15 min scan measuring him so that she was sure that what our forgein records said was true. She said he was a big boy and dated him at 4th feb! That's two whole weeks early! I'm getting nervous now. :) also got some great pics of him.

Have to go back on mon for my consultant visit but that's ok. Moving out of my mothers finally this weekend! Yay! I don't think the stress of living with her is doing me any good at all!

Also going to a sling meet / cloth nappy demo on thurs in clane, very excited about that!

Busy busy!

She said he was a big boy and dated him at 4th feb! That's two whole weeks early!

Congrats on the scan, dori! If I were you I'd be prepared for the earlier date but if you can at all try to use the later date as the 'official' one. With a first baby you're more likely to go over and from two weeks after your due date you'll be getting pressure from the hospital for an induction which severely impacts your chances of having a vaginal birth. It's up to you of course, you might prefer to be conservative. Did you have an early scan at all? The most accurate date is from an eight week scan, but a 12week will be more accurate than a 20 week as the later in gestation the more the effect of individual difference. Also take into account your cycle length- the lmp dates are based on a 28day cycle so if yours is longer or shorter that could have an effect on gestation. With my second and third pregnancies we got a later date on the 20 week scan so the midwife chose to use that, with this pregnancy I got an earlier date which we're choosing to ignore. IMO the best course of action is to let the baby come when their ready- if your nervous that baby is 'overcooked' afaik they can do a blood test and scan to check the placenta health. Hope this helps (and doesn't add to the nerves/confusion!!)

Thanks! My cycle is 28 days so that date came out 16th. But I had 3 scans in Israel - 8 weeks, 15 weeks and 21 weeks. They all dated him as the 11th so they put that on the official records.

The US lady did say that 2 weeks either way is within normal range for a 26 week scan so she wasn't going to change the date of the 11th. Don't think I'll be getting another anyway! But she did comment about 3 times that he was a big boy :)

My wishes are to go drug free if I can, obviously if placenta or fluid problems happen ill have to reevaluate !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Lil2010

Also going to a sling meet / cloth nappy demo on thurs in clane, very excited about that!

Busy busy!

Hi all,

Does anyone know if we have anything like this held in Dublin?

Im 27 weeks today and my ribs are so so sore, any one had this or have any tips for shifting it?

Thanks

Advertisement