Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Lil2010 wrote: »
    Im 27 weeks today and my ribs are so so sore, any one had this or have any tips for shifting it?

Some of the stretching exercises from Janet Balaskas' Active Birth book? This one 'helps create more space for baby and relaxes and releases the upper back and ribcage'. I try to do them all daily in the third trimester- it makes a big difference being limber for the birth!
    279843.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Lil2010 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if we have anything like this held in Dublin?

Thanks

Ill ask at the meeting if there are others around. I found the group through Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lil2010

Thanks alot girls, appricate the help xx

Hi girls,

So I went to a sling meet in Clane on Thurs. it was very informative! I've decided to go for a stretchy sling for the first few months as you can wear them all day and just pop baby in and out when needed. I don't like all the structured ones with clips and snaps and things. The woman was from Baby Wearing Ireland
    http://www.babywearingireland.ie

There was also a quick demo from my friend on cloth nappies after. She's not from cloth nappy ireland but she handed out their cards after. They do the new born loan and have all the demo days in a calander on their website for all these groups.
    http://www.clothnappylibrary.ie

Was very informative!

I've decided to go for a stretchy sling for the first few months as you can wear them all day and just pop baby in and out when needed. I don't like all the structured ones with clips and snaps and things.

That's a good idea to just have the stretchy one initially. I had one for my first baby but I used it til he was 1+ and it totally lost its stretch so I only got one child's use out of it. I had a canvas one for the second and third that's still going strong.

One thing I found was that if you're planning on baby wearing it's useful to have a back up for when you want to wash the sling. They get grubby with spew and leaky milk and food (mine and baby's). If you're going for a stretchy option you really could just use a length of cotton jersey (this would be fine for your main sling too if you're comfortable with that).

• Advertisement

Yes they did say that the stretchy one can only be used for the first 6-8 months ish. That when baby starts pushing out and wriggling about a lot it's not really safe/ designed for that and people usually move on to the non stretchy ones. I don't have a great back so ill have to be careful with the baby wearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Hey Girls,... How are ye all getting on?? almost 28 weeks now and hard to know how I am to be honest! tired mainly but very uncomfortable... weighed myself last night and ive gained 1.5 stone... was shocked! BUT i seem to be eating what i want and when i want... what do ye eat as snacks between meals? I find if I dont have chocolate a few times a day then i go mad! I really dont want to be trying to push out a massive baby so need to cut back on rubbish... in saying that i am quite good with the fruit etc but i could be better... any suggestions would be most most welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Some of the stretching exercises from Janet Balaskas' Active Birth book? This one 'helps create more space for baby and relaxes and releases the upper back and ribcage'. I try to do them all daily in the third trimester- it makes a big difference being limber for the birth!
    279843.jpg

Thanks Rosy! Will look for that book very soon! Meanwhile, thanks for the pic :)

M.

Hi girls,

So I went to a sling meet in Clane on Thurs. it was very informative! I've decided to go for a stretchy sling for the first few months as you can wear them all day and just pop baby in and out when needed. I don't like all the structured ones with clips and snaps and things. The woman was from Baby Wearing Ireland
    http://www.babywearingireland.ie

There was also a quick demo from my friend on cloth nappies after. She's not from cloth nappy ireland but she handed out their cards after. They do the new born loan and have all the demo days in a calander on their website for all these groups.
    http://www.clothnappylibrary.ie

Was very informative!

Have you all decided to go with the reusable nappies then? I have seen that in England there is a company that recycles disposable ones, but here I cannot see anything similar. This would have make my conscious better, was I to go with the disposable ones...

I might go to one of the demonstration though and try to make my mind up. Can't believe it is already -12 weeks to the B-day!

Life is running way to fast in this household :)

M.

clareames wrote: »
    Hey Girls,... How are ye all getting on?? almost 28 weeks now and hard to know how I am to be honest! tired mainly but very uncomfortable... weighed myself last night and ive gained 1.5 stone... was shocked! BUT i seem to be eating what i want and when i want... what do ye eat as snacks between meals? I find if I dont have chocolate a few times a day then i go mad! I really dont want to be trying to push out a massive baby so need to cut back on rubbish... in saying that i am quite good with the fruit etc but i could be better... any suggestions would be most most welcome! :)

Clareames, I have been told that around 11 Kg is ok to put on (still, hard to get off!), but in reality it all depends also by your starting weight.

I lost a stone and gained it back in this pregnancy, but overall, I am still at the same weight I was at the start and the doc told me that half of it was put in the last two months, so it is more likely baby weight (baba is now 1.3 Kg!).

So, cutting on junk food is always a wise move (if it only was easier than it is), but if you eat plenty of proteins and fruits/veggies you might want to check with your doc before doing anything on the diet front.

Even Nazi-weight-docs want to know exactly what you eat before telling you anything. I am trying to reduce carbs and this has been my food-cross in this pregnancy, but I am bringing back to minimum now, so hopefully baby will be ok.

M.

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    we spoke about nausea, reflux, sleep deprivation every night for few hours, the round ligament syndrome and the sciatic nerve...back aches in general and other daily discomforts.

For what concerns me, I can stamp all of the above on my pregnancy card and every month there is something new.

This month I got Bells' Palsy. I have spent the day in ER sat and in hospital again on Monday. Only consolation is that the baby is fine, all those things affect us mother, but thank God not the babas (also because, so far, I have avoided taking any drugs, except the Gaviscon for the reflux).
    Just to make it useful for you, these were my symptoms: I have started with tinnitus on my right ear, two weeks earlier, then I started last week with my right eye that was flickering (even if the hubby could not see it) and on Friday, when the attack started its acute phase, my right eye started tearing since I woke up and by night I could not hold the water properly in my mouth when rinsing during my teeth brushing routine. By Saturday morning my right side was paralysed, we ran to Rotunda and only God knows the scare my heart had, as I was so afraid something happened to the baby too. After monitoring the baby and ensuring all was fine on that front, they sent me to the Mater hospital to make sure that there were no risks of a stroke. Both hospitals looked after me very well, nothing was left to chance and all possibilities explored.

Once I came home, until yesterday, I was fine with it, thinking that it was producing only an aesthetic impact on my face (which from symmetric that it was is now pretty much crooked).

However, since yesterday it started to hit me. I could be one eyed when the baby arrives, I would not be able to give him/her a proper kiss and so on.

So I am looking for physiotherapy (which has been prescribed to be) and I am taking off the eye patch during the day. I am also afraid that my eye sight would be affected as I noticed already a difference after few days with one eye in the dark.

Anyhow, only 12 weeks to go, the house still to be done (we also had "unplanned guests" in the attic and we had stop doing any work as we need to get them out of here ASAP before risking for them to go anywhere else in the house) and work is stressful as ever.

From this side of the pregnancy it starts to look like an holiday when the baby will arrive :) (Rosy, I know it is not :)

Well, rant finished, I hope you guys are doing fine, I am going to gobble the corticosteroids they gave me...

Take care, M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Apologies if this is wrong forum or off topic...I follow this thread as my wife is due with our second child early Feb.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to get my wife for Christmas.. I thought I'd get the opinion of those ladies on this forum who are due around the same time and what you would like for Christmas?

Apologies again if wrong forum for this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not a lady, but I've heard you an get good pregnancy massages. Spa treat day perhaps?

I'd agree with Khannie- she's not going to have a day to herself or time to get her hair/nails/whatever done for a wee while. Time is the best gift for a new mum IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

i've been hinting at my hubby to get me a spa pedicure for Christmas... Cant really reach my feet anymore so that would be great and s relaxing and it last approx an hour! I wont say no if he wants to throw in a facial or massage either... Its all about comfort this Christmas I think :) Cos yes, who knows when I will get a chance to just sit back and chill for couple of hours for a good while again!

Actually, something that my oh and I are doing is going away for a night to a hotel with a spa together over Christmas while my in laws are here. I don't know when we'll get a night alone together again! Can't wait to wake up of my own accord- it's a very rare treat!

Another suggestion as it's worked out well for me in the past - A voucher for an ongoing activity. I got my wife a voucher for art lessons before for example. Gets her out of the house and away from kiddies one evening a week. She's been doing it as an ongoing thing since I got it as a present (she switched to ceramics, then pottery but the general idea of a guaranteed evening out is good for the noodle IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks very much for all the suggestions...will definitely get something pampering...main gift is sterling silver bracelet with charms with our baby's foot and handprints engraved

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BeanieBuddy

marysnow wrote: »

Well, rant finished, I hope you guys are doing fine, I am going to gobble the corticosteroids they gave me...

Oh Mary it really sounds like you've been through the mill - I hope the physio and drugs help. There seems to be a good rate of spontaneous recovery too, so hopefully you're among that group.

That bracelet sounds like a lovely gift :)

• Advertisement

So, has anyone else started their antenatal classes?

We're a bit early (not due till 8 Feb) but wanted to get them out of the way before Christmas. We decided to go with a Cuidiu course, after a friend was singing the praises of one of their breastfeeding support groups that she goes to.

We had one 3.5 hour session last Sunday and we've another one this Sunday then we'll be all wrapped up. It's a nice informal setting, four couples and the course leader, so everyone was pretty comfortable asking all sorts of questions.

If anyone's interested the info is on their site here.

We are looking into antenatal classes at the moment. The Coombe was all booked up by the time I got my letter in.

The prices seem to vary greatly - from 110 - 170. Im trying to figure out if you get more for your money from some or is it just popularity/ location?

any thoughts?

We want ours out of the way by Xmas too!

I never did official antenatal classes- we moved too close to my first birth to get in. A local woman does active birth classes which it found good- it focuses on yoga and stretching and techniques for the birth but she also gives a lot of information, with a natural bent. She does a partner class as well with information and massage instruction. I think that a lot of the stuff in antenatal classes is important for preparing the dads- most women are really motivated to do reading and stuff in their first pregnancy (well it is happening in your body after all!) whereas for a lot of men/partners it's only real after the baby's born. My oh has delivered heaps of babies so I didn't think it was too necessary.

Three and a half hours seems like a really long session? I think my brain might implode or at least I'd fall asleep! Hopefully there's lots of tea and biscuit breaks for bonding chats...

That's one really nice thing about doing classes- you get to meet a bunch of local mums with babies the same age. I still have some friends that I met in that first active birth class from when I was pregnant with my now seven year old. Three of us were in hospital giving birth at the same time, and now our kids are in the same class in school. It's great to think that they 'knew' each other in the womb!

Khannie wrote: »
    Another suggestion as it's worked out well for me in the past - A voucher for an ongoing activity. I got my wife a voucher for art lessons before for example. Gets her out of the house and away from kiddies one evening a week. She's been doing it as an ongoing thing since I got it as a present (she switched to ceramics, then pottery but the general idea of a guaranteed evening out is good for the noodle IMO).

That sounds like a good idea but you want to be careful about getting it before baby's born. You don't know what kind of baby it will be. My last two would not take a bottle which made it really hard to plan time away. My second had a nice regular sleep rhythm so I could do something at a certain time every week but my last was a bit of a terror and I didn't get regular breaks until he was six months and on solids. It's a lovely idea but it would be horrible if it turned into a source of stress.

That sounds like a good idea but you want to be careful about getting it before baby's born. You don't know what kind of baby it will be. My last two would not take a bottle which made it really hard to plan time away. My second had a nice regular sleep rhythm so I could do something at a certain time every week but my last was a bit of a terror and I didn't get regular breaks until he was six months and on solids. It's a lovely idea but it would be horrible if it turned into a source of stress.

See This is the part that worries me the most! We have 2 weddings and a 60th birthday next year. 1st wedding is in May and OH is a groomsman. baby will be 3 month old. I dont know yet if baby will be invited. if he is, ill just stay outside the church with him so he doesnt annoy anyone, and then everything will be grand afterwards. but if hes not invited Ive hinted to the inlaws that i wont be going. they were shocked! They want me to leave my 3 month old with a stranger for 10 hours! (its a monday so no family available to mind even if I wanted to) Their solution is just to bottle feed( which i dont want to ) to make it easier and then leave him. I dont know if ill be emotionally able to leave my 3 month old with a stranger for that long.
    Other wedding will be similar possible scenarios.
    My mothers planning her 60th in june and I 'jokingly' said 'I hope your only grandchild will be invited'. She said flat out 'no'. but she expects us to be there form 8 til midnight minimum. I said maybe I could get the sister in law(21) to babysit in my mams house that evening so i could drive the 5 min to feed him during the party and wouldnt be too far if anything happened. but its just so awkward! And it makes me anxious and its 6 months away! :mad:

See This is the part that worries me the most! We have 2 weddings and a 60th birthday next year. 1st wedding is in May and OH is a groomsman. baby will be 3 month old. I dont know yet if baby will be invited. if he is, ill just stay outside the church with him so he doesnt annoy anyone, and then everything will be grand afterwards. but if hes not invited Ive hinted to the inlaws that i wont be going. they were shocked! They want me to leave my 3 month old with a stranger for 10 hours! (its a monday so no family available to mind even if I wanted to) Their solution is just to bottle feed( which i dont want to ) to make it easier and then leave him. I dont know if ill be emotionally able to leave my 3 month old with a stranger for that long.
    Other wedding will be similar possible scenarios.
    My mothers planning her 60th in june and I 'jokingly' said 'I hope your only grandchild will be invited'. She said flat out 'no'. but she expects us to be there form 8 til midnight minimum. I said maybe I could get the sister in law(21) to babysit in my mams house that evening so i could drive the 5 min to feed him during the party and wouldnt be too far if anything happened. but its just so awkward! And it makes me anxious and its 6 months away! :mad:

Sounds like your family need some attitude adjustment sharpish. We are going to two weddings when baby will be 5months. One is a family affair and the other is no kids- not even the nieces and nephews of the groom. I said that we could leave the older kids with grandparents but I'd have to bring the baby or not go. They were fine with that (especially since we're flying halfway round the world to be there). For the first six months they're grand especially if they're used to being in a sling, you'd hardly notice them. Obviously a bit of discretion on my part, ie taking them outside if they're getting noisy and probably going to bed reasonably early. My mam will come with us and I'll put baby down in the room then go to bed once baby wakes for the first feed...maybe this one will sleep through by 5months :D:D (...not holding my breath!)

Sounds like your family need some attitude adjustment sharpish.

I'm glad somebody else said it. I didn't want to be the first. :)

I know! I think because its the first grandchild, everyone's learning and adjusting with us. It was the same when we got married. I was being difficult and weird because I wanted a humanist ceremony, but 2 years later my sister has Tom Colton and nobody bats an eyelid! Talks of cloth nappies and breast feeding and a 'foreign' name are just the beginnings of the waves I'm making! Its hard to be first!

Anyway seems I jumped the gun a little bit becasue hubby came home last night and says we are moving back to Israel! So were probably not going to make it to any of these summer events now! Happy and a little sad at the same time. Dreading telling the family that news - we are only home 6 weeks!

I know! I think because its the first grandchild, everyone's learning and adjusting with us. It was the same when we got married. I was being difficult and weird because I wanted a humanist ceremony, but 2 years later my sister has Tom Colton and nobody bats an eyelid! Talks of cloth nappies and breast feeding and a 'foreign' name are just the beginnings of the waves I'm making! Its hard to be first!

Anyway seems I jumped the gun a little bit becasue hubby came home last night and says we are moving back to Israel! So were probably not going to make it to any of these summer events now! Happy and a little sad at the same time. Dreading telling the family that news - we are only home 6 weeks!

Being the first comes with extra challenges, but I would not change it :) At least nobody tells you what to do on the basis of what others did before you :)

So you are going to be here for such short time?? I was hoping to meet the February mums once all the babies have arrived :)

M.

• Advertisement

We are going this Saturday for a day long class in Rotunda.
    Not sure if they have one in December (I would have preferred that one), but January was too risky, so we are doing this.

I am also doing an active birth workshop on the 14th of December and one in Jan with the hubby.
    Yes, I am absolutely terrified of all things that can go wrong during birth.

The pain for us is going to be the same, wither natural birth or c-cut, but I really have nightmares about complications for the baby, so I am investing in these classes to reach some sort of confidence in the process and the protocols associated to it.

I am in doubt between section and natural, but if I go natural, I am thinking to go without epidural. Anyway, still far from the due date :)

M.

Advertisement