Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Oh Mary it really sounds like you've been through the mill - I hope the physio and drugs help. There seems to be a good rate of spontaneous recovery too, so hopefully you're among that group.

Thanks Beanie :)
    Already better, looking forward to physio today :)

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

marysnow wrote: »
    Being the first comes with extra challenges, but I would not change it :) At least nobody tells you what to do on the basis of what others did before you :)

So you are going to be here for such short time?? I was hoping to meet the February mums once all the babies have arrived :)

M.

We should really have just stayed! But my husbands company did a shuffle of roles and that so his manager brought us home. Then 3 weeks later they give him the job of managing an all Israeli team! So they are asking for April, I'm gonna push for June if I can. Don't think I'll be up for packing and visa applications and that so soon after giving birth. Also we wanted to sell our place before the next move.

I just booked our antenatal class for mid dec. think jan is cutting it fine too! What's an active birth workshop all about?

As an aside - my hips and back are killing me! Can barely walk to the shops. Feel like an old lady, hubby has to help me out of the car or I end up yelling in pain! Sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

I just booked our antenatal class for mid dec. think jan is cutting it fine too! What's an active birth workshop all about?

As an aside - my hips and back are killing me! Can barely walk to the shops. Feel like an old lady, hubby has to help me out of the car or I end up yelling in pain! Sucks :(

We have our antenatal classes for the 5th and on the 12th of December we didn't book ours we just got a letter in the door saying we have it for those nights :/

Oh my lower back is in agony also it hurts most when sitting down and getting up I'm like an old women holding onto things over the pain :(

We had to book ours outside the hospital as the Coombe had no space left since we applied late. So we booked a 3 hour session with a woman in Leixlip. Turns out shes actually a midwife in the Coombe! So that means we get €75 back from VHI for the class too.

Also looking at booking a hospital tour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I've been seeing a craniosacral osteopath for my back and he's amazing. I was immobile for the last six weeks of my second pregnancy due to a back injury when my first was five months and someone put me onto him in the last few weeks and I got some relief. I started seeing him around 20 weeks in each of the subsequent pregnancies and the difference has been amazing. I was chopping wood up to term with my last, and I'm still able to do Zumba and heft around my 2yr old.

I also find doing pelvic floor exercises and really working on tightening the pelvic floor helps with getting up and sitting down and back pain in general.

The heat is crippling me atm- it's over 30degrees today. It's grand if I can just sit around but we had my eldests birthday party last weekend and my ankles were like balloons by the end of it.

Dori, your oh's firm sound very inconsiderate- you'd think they would have taken your family situation into account before d!cking you around with two moves in such a short time. I'd be raging! On the plus side a bit of distance is a tonic with overbearing relations. I found it much easier to follow a natural path and my own instincts without having a barrage of well meaning but often conflicting and confusing advice. Also the sun is a major bonus with cloth nappies. Despite all the eyerolling from my mil she actually recommended to my SIL to talk to me about baby led weaning. I nearly fell over with amazement!

• Advertisement

What's an active birth workshop all about?

http://www.activebirthcentre.com/

Check out the website. There's a great great book and a centre in London where my teacher trained and you can go to do classes and possibly even a birthing centre, although I'm not sure if it's still operational. Also Google Janet Balaskas and Michel Odent.

Well to be honest the role he was in when we came back to Ireland was still available for him to keep. But taking the Israeli team meant a promotion. So he took it. When we discussed it hubby said well try running things from Ireland for 6 months, thinking thered be no budget for another relo, but we were wrong! :) I don't mind going back at all! Love it there! But timing a move with a new baby will be tricky. Not as tricking as planning a wedding while moving to the US tho!

On the plus side I'm super nesting. The place has never been so organised!

I'm def going to have to up the exercise situation, I can't live with theses hips for 11 more weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

On the plus side I'm super nesting. The place has never been so organised!

oooh are u nesting as well?? all i seem to want to do is clean the house.... thought the nesting would only come in last couple weeks or that... im surprised ive the energy to clean to be honest! cant wait for xmas, get 2 weeks hols from work so the house will be spotless by the time im finished!! cant wait to finish up from work at end january then! oh the excitement!! :)

Wish I could nest...all our everything is stacked in the spare room and we have to move all the furniture and then ourselves out the week before Christmas so the floors can be sanded. We'll have a half a kitchen (but no cupboard or drawer fronts!) for Christmas and it may or may not be done by the time the baby's due :(

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Wish I could nest...all our everything is stacked in the spare room and we have to move all the furniture and then ourselves out the week before Christmas so the floors can be sanded. We'll have a half a kitchen (but no cupboard or drawer fronts!) for Christmas and it may or may not be done by the time the baby's due :(

oh all that dust! Ah! my mum just got new wood floors put in and even though she had them cleaned professionally after, red dust is still falling from the air 2 weeks later. I would cry.

we just put half of our belongings into storage yesterday to make room for the baby in this teeny apartment. Had 35 boxes altogether! and that was being ruthless!dont know where we accumulate all the stuff....

Fingers crossed you're all done before baby comes!

• Advertisement

just in case some of you are stocking up on baby things...

Huggies Pure wet wipes are 4 packs for €5 in Dunnes. 64 wipes in each pack, must be the ones wrapped up together otherwise they are €3.20 each!!!:eek:
    There was another type of huggies 4 pack there too.

Otherwise if you dont think youll need 4, they are half price in Tescos this week at €1.54 a pack.

Some Pampers are also buy one get one free for the €15.99 size pack.

just in case some of you are stocking up on baby things...

Huggies Pure wet wipes are 4 packs for €5 in Dunnes. 64 wipes in each pack, must be the ones wrapped up together otherwise they are €3.20 each!!!:eek:
    There was another type of huggies 4 pack there too.

Otherwise if you dont think youll need 4, they are half price in Tescos this week at €1.54 a pack.

Some Pampers are also buy one get one free for the €15.99 size pack.

Also dunnes stores have the Johnson's baby wipes 6 pack €6 and pampers baby nappies 2 for €15 for the 45s and 2 for €19 for the 54 pack :)

How are ye all ladies doing?

Iv been busy last two days after moving into new home so been busy packing and unpacking still isn't done yet but at least we have new home before baby comes :)

Thanks Dori and Sauce for the heads up, I might go and buy some wet wipes, no idea what to look for, when deciding which brand going for in the nappies department!

We just got the pram set delivered today, it is exactly like this one. I love it :)

The reason why we went for this is that it has a very good quality and a good mattress in the carrycot, and you can change the inclination of the mattress, you never know if your baby will suffer reflux and it is good to have the chance to put the baby in an more upright position.

I would have loved it blue, but hubby did not like it too much, so we went for this neutral color instead (which was my second choice anyway).

We got the family crib as well, so now it is a waiting game until after Christmas, when the small items shopping will start!

How are you all doing? When are you going to prepare the hospital bag? I was thinking first week in January. I know it is a month earlier, but it seems to be the wise choice?

ps I am smiling again, and I am doing exercises to be able to kiss that little thing as soon as he/she will appear :)

inglesina-trilogy-2014-canapa-manico-unito.jpg

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    http://www.activebirthcentre.com/

Check out the website. There's a great great book and a centre in London where my teacher trained and you can go to do classes and possibly even a birthing centre, although I'm not sure if it's still operational. Also Google Janet Balaskas and Michel Odent.

Thanks Rosy!
    Sorry Dori, I have been on hols for few days, the last romantic getaway before baby arrives. Christmas markets in Vienna, loved it!

An active birth class is designed to help you with positions for labour, breathing techniques, etc. to help you to gain more control while in labour and during the birth (the scary things like do not push while they can see the baby crown or it will tear you apart, brrrr....) and so it gives you some tool to keep some level of understanding of what is going on and how to control it.

I might have to skip this one and go in Jan, there is another one the 11th of Jan.

We postponed too many thing 'til Jan, let's hope the baby does not decide to visit us earlier as his/her room is far from being ready. Not only for the baby, but for his/her own things.

We plan to keep the baby in the room with us for the first six months, due also to the fact that I would like to breast feed, all things going right.

Did any of you get in touch with one of the breast feeding groups?

M.

Hi all!

Just realised Im 2 months away from due date! ahh! Absolutely terrified! :)

We have our antenatal class this weekend, so excited for that. A breastfeeding group is on the to-do list, but as yet I havent actually done anything about it - Xmas keeps getting in the way! We assembled our dresser/changing unit the other week, and ordered our buggy and cot. Also picked out a monitor. Ive a big 'to buy' list that im waiting on the new year to buy as we are broke!

I tried starting the hospital bag, but couldnt find any front opening PJs in Pennys or dunnes that were my size or not super fleecy! or a decent nightie for the birth. I dont own any PJs like that or nighties so I have to go and buy some. I could probably just buy a giant tee for the birth if I had to. Anyway I gave up and will look again in Jan :)

There are so many choices and decisions to be made!

Also family has set a baby shower date. Im really not looking forward to it. I hate parties for me. Didnt want a hen or anything. Feels like im just begging people to give me presents! Cringe!

could probably just buy a giant tee for the birth if I had to.

If I were you I would try for a front opening nightie for the birth- I don't know what's the practice in Ireland but here they put the baby directly on your chest, skin to skin as soon as it's born (before the placenta is even delivered) and encourage you to try to breastfeed as soon as possible. Apparently it helps with establishing breastfeeding. I got second hand auld dears nighties from charity shops for my births as I didn't want to worry about staining them but I gave birth to all my kids naked, even the ones born in hospital. As far as I've heard NZ delivery rooms are a lot more private than those in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Hi all!

Just realised Im 2 months away from due date! ahh! Absolutely terrified! :)

We have our antenatal class this weekend, so excited for that. A breastfeeding group is on the to-do list, but as yet I havent actually done anything about it - Xmas keeps getting in the way! We assembled our dresser/changing unit the other week, and ordered our buggy and cot. Also picked out a monitor. Ive a big 'to buy' list that im waiting on the new year to buy as we are broke!

I tried starting the hospital bag, but couldnt find any front opening PJs in Pennys or dunnes that were my size or not super fleecy! or a decent nightie for the birth. I dont own any PJs like that or nighties so I have to go and buy some. I could probably just buy a giant tee for the birth if I had to. Anyway I gave up and will look again in Jan :)

There are so many choices and decisions to be made!

Also family has set a baby shower date. Im really not looking forward to it. I hate parties for me. Didnt want a hen or anything. Feels like im just begging people to give me presents! Cringe!

M&S online have a few front opening nighties, I was looking at a gorgeous red polka dot one today. A bit steep at around €20 but fab all the same :)

Yeah I was looking in M&S at the nursing bras too and having a browse. They were €35 euro for Pjs! Not spending that kind of money when Ill (probably) never wear them again! :)

So tired this week, took two days to put up the tree! Keep having vivid weird dreams (one was of those M&M characters life size!) and they wake me up/ make me feel I havent slept. Also painful leg cramps at night too.

Had a great Antenatal class though! Very informative!

Anyone here have a birth plan? Or renting a TENS machine? Anyone tried a TENS machine?

What is a TENS machine???

They mentioned it at the class. Its little pads that you attach to your lower back. When a contraction comes, you ramp up this dial and its supposed to take the edge off the contraction. They video said 70% of women feel it works for them. She said the coombe has a few going around, but if you want to be sure of one, she said lots of places rent them out. Im wondering if they are worth it, will google the rental price later. Apparently Pharmacies rent/sell them.

• Advertisement

They mentioned it at the class. Its little pads that you attach to your lower back. When a contraction comes, you ramp up this dial and its supposed to take the edge off the contraction. They video said 70% of women feel it works for them. She said the coombe has a few going around, but if you want to be sure of one, she said lots of places rent them out. Im wondering if they are worth it, will google the rental price later. Apparently Pharmacies rent/sell them.

I think for renting its €45 for one day/night and to buy is €99

oh! everyone has been talkin about them but I never actually looked into what they were!! sounds like a great idea!!

over the weekend i started to feel what i thought felt like kicks down very low like literally behind my pubic bone. is the baby positioned down that far i wonder? Any of ye get that feeling? it stopped later that evening and I haven't felt it since... he/she is kicking me everywhere else though!! any of ye with swollen legs, ankles? such a pain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I think for renting its €45 for one day/night and to buy is €99

They are not that expensive to rent, I think it's it's something like €20 for 4 weeks with a deposit of €50 or something.

I've been given a 2nd hand one, some seem to swear by them.

some places seem to have deals too. I might shop around. All i know is it needs to have a boost function for labour, and you need new pads for each person who uses it. Might invest in one, since its the first grandchild and my sisters etc will be having kids soon too. Im really up for trying anything to get through the birth drug free!

Ill let yous know if I find any deals!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am due in January but looking into TENS at the mo. Holles street offered it for €20 they don't make a profit it is basically the cost of new pads. I am on domino scheme so don't know if it's dominos machine or hospital machine! It is the cheapest around. You Give €70 and get get €50 back and get it for 4 weeks. They told us you can also hire them from boots or umamma (in kilmacanogue) but are much more expensive as they obviously make a profit on it! I would kind of prefer to buy one if it's not too expensive as the hassle of waddling in to collect it etc. I just looked today on amazon to check prices to buy but dont know which ones are good?
    This one seems to get good reviews?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000QG7LLE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387216833&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Does anyone know a brand of one for labour? Midwives said even the ones in
    Lidl and aldi do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I used the obi tens i bought in mothercare the last time, will use again but need to buy new pads. It cost 50

I found it worked ok for me, should have used it longer in hindsight but if nothing else it was a great distraction from the pain

Used it initially, then the shower and never bothered to put it back on

Millem wrote: »

Does anyone know a brand of one for labour? Midwives said even the ones in
    Lidl and aldi do the job!

From reading a little bit online so far this one is popular
    http://http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Obi-Tens-%28-SimpleGreat-Value--plus--Booster%29__4860.aspx

As long as the ones from Lidl or Aldi have a boost function, then they can be fine for labour. otherwise they are no good!

From reading a little bit online so far this one is popular
    http://http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Obi-Tens-%28-SimpleGreat-Value--plus--Booster%29__4860.aspx

As long as the ones from Lidl or Aldi have a boost function, then they can be fine for labour. otherwise they are no good!

I don't know anything about the lidl and aldi ones they said they work! I see boots have an own bean done 1/2 price. €31 I think. Midwives said they work as a distraction but you need to put them on pretty much straight away for them to work effectively!

Just saw this on amazon I think it is the same one as inhealth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodyclock-Health-Care-Relief-Machine/dp/B001DDZBHK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387303930&sr=8-3&keywords=labour+tens+machine

Adding higher vat of 3% it comes in around €36/€37 with free delivery. This is the cheapest I have found for this machine. Think I might order it as even adding on bus fare to collect and drop back rental in holles street you are taking less than €10 in difference plus the stress!!

• Advertisement

I was a bit freaked out by the idea of the TENS machine. I'm not a fan of machines and wires at the best of times. I'm planning on using a hot water bottle/shower for early labour and the birthing pool. I find singing/roaring to be a good relief...I always include my preferred brand of throat lozenge in the post birth kit...the first time the hospital only had aniseed strepsils...bleurgh!

I have one fat ankle on the side where the varicose veins are really bad. The heat and the fact that I've been lugging around boxes don't help.

The seawater is amazing relief but I've only managed paddling so far. The waves aren't even that big but I find I'm really wary of being knocked over. My comfort zone seems to have shrunk. My oh suggested going deep sea fishing on one of his colleagues' boat and I couldn't stand the thought of being out on the open sea. Must be the mother instinct kicking in!

Advertisement