Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Hi all,
    I hope you had a great Christmas :)

I feel so heavy and uncomfortable, bless my MIL as she did everything this year, the only thing we had to come up with was the ham and the cake!

Anyhow, we have gone shopping and we bought Tommee tippee steriliser for 17 euro something in M&P, Tommee tippee bottles with the air filter for colics, muslims, changing mat, few clothing items and I am starting to shop for my hospital bag.

Overall, nearly all we bought was 50% off, so big savings on all the line.

There are also breast pump on offer, but I have absolutely no idea which one to pick, so I avoided buying anything just because it was there. Hubby is looking into the baby monitors and, overall, I think we are getting ready now :)

My mum is dedicating a weekend middle Jan to help me clean all the house and prepare the baby's stuff as well :)

Ah, Tesco has the Pampers nappies at 16 euro the 74 pcs pack (the new baby line) and 12 J&J wet wipes sensitive skins for 12 euro.

Hope this helps those mums that are starting the baby shopping :)
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Was in Blanch today, Mothercare had a sale on. Didnt think the discounts on baby clothes was that great, about 30% off ( when a baby grow cost you €24 in the first place :eek:) Some things werent on sale, but furniture and maternity were.

They had some nice nursing bras (much nicer than M&S) half price at €12. I got 3 :) Also I got a swimsuit for half price @ €16. Hubbies taking me to Fota resort next weekend :)

Was getting a little worried they other day that baby wasnt moving as much as usual. thought it might be because I was dying with a cold from Stephens Day. But today hes back to full force - feet in ribs and punching my bladder all day!

Anyone else getting nervous? Im only a little over 6 weeks away and Im really worried Ill go early and Im in no way prepared!!

Hope everyone had a lovely Xmas!

Ohmy Dori,
    I can imagine the worry...

I am kicked all day and night, left, right and centre, by this little rebel of ours :)
    Already no respect for the old generation ;)

I was in mothercare as well, bought few things, did not see the swimming suits and the bra, must go and buy them. I agree, M&S ones weren't great.

I am getting nervous too, as the house will be completed by middle Jan, but I too have the feeling this little thing might decide to arrive earlier...and from a certain point of view, I would prefer having the baby at the end of February (for totally silly reasons, I have to admit).

But again, it is not in our power to decide :)

I bought nearly all my maternity bag items. I am missing only the dried ice packs, some cotton disposable underwear (the ones in Boots aren't), a pure cotton nightwear for the delivery and small other things.

I plan to have the bag ready next week as...ohmy, we will be exactly one month away from the EDD!

See? Now I am freaking :)

Well done to you and hubby for the romantic week end :)

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

Just have 5 weeks to go getting nervous now and It's our first baby also.. I have most of the hospital bag stuff but still missing some bits and bobs tiny stuff really... Had my last scan 2 weeks ago and they told me baby was in head down position and he weighs 4 pounds 12oz..

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and best of luck to ye all in the new year :-)

This time next year we will all have our babies to spoil at Xmas :-)

Ok so to make me feel even more unprepared.....

Whats in your hospital bags? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

I have 2 packs of maternity pads, 2 night dresses, 3 maternity bras, 1 full set of pjs, nipple pads and creams, and for baby I have a couple of vests and baby grows and then all the other stuff like hair brush, face cloth , 2-3 towels , blanket, tooth paste and brush, flip flops, and hair bands and make up

I think I'm still missing a few bits but that's all I have atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I was posting in here this time last year (due feb 2013) and reading these posts made me nostalgic - good luck parents to be. I have loved every tiring second since giving birth

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ftm1989

Hi ladies.just signed up for this few mins ago,due Feb 11 in the rotunda and I'm very nervous excited and scared.any of u ladies going for natural labour

Hi!

Im due the 11th too but in the Coombe :)

Im going to try and go natural, dont want any injections etc. but will see on the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

ftm1989 wrote: »
    Hi ladies.just signed up for this few mins ago,due Feb 11 in the rotunda and I'm very nervous excited and scared.any of u ladies going for natural labour

I've been told from the start that I won't be able to have an epidural due to a pre existing back injury that I have so I've been psyching myself up for a natural labour :) I know pethidine will be available but tbh, I've had pethidine injections in my back before and they didn't give me much relief and also it can make the baby sleepy so I'd rather go without unless I'm in severe pain. I've read a few books about natural birthing and I have a hypnobirthing cd set that I've been listening to so hopefully these along with gas and air will be enough to get me through :) Of course, that could all go belly up on the day too so I'm just trying to be as relaxed about it as I can :D

• Advertisement

Ah, Dori, I am sure you are not unprepared :) How do you feel? Any change in sleeping pattern/ pain and aches?

So far I have:

my bag
    2 packs of maternity pads, 15 disposable underwear (but I plan to replace the boots ones with pure cotton ones), breast pads (slim and normal ones, no idea which kind of flow there will be), toiletries, for the moment 1 front opening nightdress, disinfectant wipes and disinfectant gel, pilates ball, slippers

missing in action
    flip-flops for the shower
    2 dark towels (I will get cheap ones, in case I need to throw them away)
    1 hand towel and face cloth (of course I have it, I just need to pick one and put it in the pile of stuff for the bag)
    maternity bras (I was reading that it is best to get them around week 36 as your size should be pretty much stable by then)
    tea tree oil and cream for nipples
    clothes to come back home (I plan on bringing a dress, so we will get out of the way the uncertainty about the size)
    mobile phone charger

baby's bag (all stuff bought, need just to wash and prepare)
    babygro, sleep suits and vests
    bibs
    cardigan (made by MIL :)
    hat
    scratch mitts
    blanket (made by my nan :)
    the jacket to bring home the baba
    bag of cotton wool balls
    nappies
    muslins
    almond oil

missing in action
    changing mat (and changing bag)
    nappies bags
    socks
    grooming kit

dad's bag (stuff not piled even, will do next week)
    change for parking and vending machine (even though he will have the e-ticket by then)
    a change of clothes
    mobile charger
    snacks + sweets
    deodorant
    camera and camera charger

So, I am nowhere near to be ready, but I plan on closing this month end at work (this week will be horrible) and then dedicate time to complete this.

We need to buy a changing station, the baby monitors, the baby's gym and rocker, a nursing chair (Ikea) and then, for a while, I think that we are done.

Yesterday we had a scan, the baby us now 2.5 Kg (5.55 pounds) and changing so much :)

Looking forward to finally meet this baba, face to face :)

M.

Ah, I know I have some stuff, I just want it all in a bag and ready you know? otherwise it plays on my mind! :)

We have no baby blankets or sleeping bags, hoping Ill get some at the baby shower. My flip flops are in storage so Ill get them next week. I did manage to get 2 pillow cases for the hospital crib. Midwife suggested bringing in your own small plastic bowl for cleaning baby as there arent usually enough to go around.

Tens machine should arrive next week too.

I thought my husband had gone a little shopping crazy in the states, coming back with a suitcase full of baby clothes, but Ive just sorted piles for washing and it doesnt look like we have very much at all!

Where did you buy the breast/nipple pads and how did you choose?

I feel a little shocked at all we need since I was told so often " you dont need much, only 2 small bags" I feel like Im packing for a 3 week holiday!

Congrats on the scan! Cant wait to be back in the coombe on the 6th for mine.

Your hubby did well :)
    In the states there is so much variety at so much lower cost! Plus, your little boy will need plenty of changes each day. And with the fact that yours is the first grandchild you cannot count on hand-me-downs babygros and things like that. They told me to count at least 15/20 per each size as there are days in which you might end using 5 and days in which you might end using only 2!

For the breast/nipple pads I bought the poor cotton ones in Boots. There were so many there and I had no clue what to look for, so I bought the basic ones, just to have them ready for the hospital bag. I am sure I will understand what to look for, once it all will start. I have them in two sizes, slim and standard, just because I really don't know what to expect.

I am also looking for a breast pump, but, again, no idea what to go for.

Which TENS machine are you going for?

Let us know how the scan goes, the 6th :) it is so exciting to see them!

The 7th of Jan we will be 4 weeks away from the life changing day :)
    I will be finishing working around the 15, can't wait!

M.

ps happy new year, everyone!

Above I meant pure cotton ones :) not poor cotton ones. Ohmy brain!

This is the Tens i bought, simple one!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DDZBHK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15 - 20 outfits! Ah! Hubby was very lucky to get 2 US business trips in the last 3 months, they really are soooo much cheaper!

Everyone we know who had a baby last year had a girl too (seemed like everyone was preggers last year) Might get some neutral hand me downs!

Going to go down the road to boots today and have a look for eco friendly nappies and so nipple pads and cream. Maybe if I buy some things today my mind will ease for a few more.

We still need a baby bath, monitor (although weve bought the nappy attachment part) changing mat. Im being optimistic and hoping to sew my own changing bag and a blanket with holes for the car seat straps to come through.

Also I promised hubby Id change my name before the baby arrives so Ive that paperwork to do too!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Hey ladies so was gona start washing baby cloths but not sure about the setting on washing machine I have beko washing machine and it has setting for baby & toddler but I think it washes on 100d so I'm thinking using hand wash what do u guys think kinda confused about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hey ladies so was gona start washing baby cloths but not sure about the setting on washing machine I have beko washing machine and it has setting for baby & toddler but I think it washes on 100d so I'm thinking using hand wash what do u guys think kinda confused about

Why don't you look up your manual online to see what it is? I looked up my one and baby clothes cycle was 40 degrees (but you can set it to whatever temp you want) and has an extra rinse.

Millem wrote: »
    Why don't you look up your manual online to see what it is? I looked up my one and baby clothes cycle was 40 degrees (but you can set it to whatever temp you want) and has an extra rinse.

I have. It's 90degrees but it goes on for ages.I'll set it on 40degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Wouldn't a 90degree wash destroy the clothes?

I've just been washing the baby clothes at a normal 40degree wash, with hypoallergenic washing powder and fabric conditioner ... hopefully that'll be alright! :/

I have. It's 90degrees but it goes on for ages.I'll set it on 40degrees

I reckon 90 degrees would shrink the clothes! I wouldn't go higher than 40 degrees

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I reckon 90 degrees would shrink the clothes! I wouldn't go higher than 40 degrees

That's what I thought.I'll wash it on 40degrees thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Wouldn't a 90degree wash destroy the clothes?

I've just been washing the baby clothes at a normal 40degree wash, with hypoallergenic washing powder and fabric conditioner ... hopefully that'll be alright! :/

ive washed all my baby stuff with fairy non bio powder but didnt use fabric conditioner... should i???

also i got a bag of baby clothes from my MIL's house which have been there for the last 4 years... there has been issues in the house with a leak etc etc and the clothes were so smelly of damp. Washed them twice and i can still get the smell of them... i am told i am imagining it but i dont know... what do u think???

clareames wrote: »
    ive washed all my baby stuff with fairy non bio powder but didnt use fabric conditioner... should i???

also i got a bag of baby clothes from my MIL's house which have been there for the last 4 years... there has been issues in the house with a leak etc etc and the clothes were so smelly of damp. Washed them twice and i can still get the smell of them... i am told i am imagining it but i dont know... what do u think???

I was going to use fairy non bio but actually used my free sample of persil small and mighty non bio and the white comfort (I got them free in eu mom bag). I bought a bottle of each since and the clothes smell really nice :) some people say don't use softener for newborn others say do! I used it! Why don't you check care labels on the "damp" clothes and see what the max temperature is? Is there mould on them? If not I am sure they are grand! I was paranoid over cigarette smoke on my baby clothes but honestly it was just in my head. Another thing you could do is wash them with a bio detergent (I find the aldi almatt powder the best) make sure you measure it out properly and wash at 40 degrees, do an extra rinse, then you could rewash with a non bio.

Ive started washing mine too. Washed at 40 as thats what the labels suggested. Used Fairy non bio, and no softener, and they came out a little rough for my liking. So I bought Fairy softener too. I try and not use smelly softener stuff cos I always feel its left chemicals in the clothes to make them smell! And i hate the idea of too many chemicals on the babys skin. I was allergic to everything as a baby except fairy so want to be really careful.

If I find the time I might research organic/ natural detergents.

Clareames - try and get an independent nose to smell the 'damp' clothes :) If they smell a little damp to others dont use them, the baby will be breathing in those spores :(

I just remembered you could add the new dettol liquid either if you are worried.
    http://www.dettol.co.uk/mission-for-health-protecting-your-family-wash-new-baby.php
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=278374966

I have never used it but have been meaning to buy a bottle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WorkingLady

Hi all congrats on your impending births. As a mother of three there are a couple of other things I'd recommend packing in your bags
    Arnica tablets, moist toilet paper and an old or cheap nightdress for the labour ward as you'll never wear it again. I wouldn't worry about packing a lot of clothes for the baby maybe 2/3 changes. Your partner can bring in clothes as needed save having to bring the whole house with you on admission.
    As regards buying baby equipment the only things we had before the baby was born was the car seat/buggy, steriliser and moses basket. When the baby is born you have a better idea of what you need and some family or friends might like to buy a cot or baby swing as a present anyway.
    Best of luck everyone!

I, too, will do washing at 40 degrees, but I am using the Dettol for all the baby clothes. Most factories where these things are produced are not at the standard you would expect (and this is why I wash any new item before wearing it).

Clearemes, if you smell dump, try to wash them one last time with the Dettol. The smell may be due to some bacteria (nothing dramatic, just smelly things) and the Dettol should kill anything of that kind.

Since the pregnancy, my skin became oversensitive (as if it wasn't already) and I am using the Dettol for all our washes. it smells nice, but it is not overpowering.

Good luck :)

Any of u ladies feeling painful Braxton hicks.I've been getting them but more painful this week

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Any of u ladies feeling painful Braxton hicks.I've been getting them but more painful this week

what do they feel like??

• Advertisement

clareames wrote: »
    what do they feel like??

Like ur period is just about to come.I feel it across my lower abdaman and my vagina

Advertisement