Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGMT olympia sat october 19th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Woo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

tickets on sale friday

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Just picked up my ticket there now (MCD pre-sale was still valid) I've been wanting to see MGMT for a while now so looking forward to this one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

got my ticket on pre-sale, as I was afraid they'd sell out right away...to my surprise, its still not sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Do these guys still play the hits? I remember seeing them on tv after Celebration came out and they weren't too interested & looked pissed off about playing the big ones from the first album!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Any1 listen to the new album?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Shane St. wrote: »

Not out till next week?

Thought I saw a preview on Rdio though

Edit: Full album here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

'Kids' is great

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

Shane St. wrote: »

downloaded it today - absolutely ****e!

Ugh.. I didn't realize they had a new album on the way, mainly looking forward to the classics here.

• Advertisement

any idea what the setlist will be on sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    any idea what the setlist will be on sat?

Set list here from Glasgow 2 nights ago

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mgmt/2013/o2-abc-glasgow-scotland-13c72149.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsnob

playing n cork for free sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

weser777 wrote: »
    downloaded it today - absolutely ****e!

It's good. Give it a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Setlist looks solid, looking forward to this

alien days is a class song

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

What did people think of this?

Pretty much a dead crowd apart from the three main songs, my girlfriend said she felt like falling asleep but then again I knew before we went she wouldn't like them :P

I took a video of kids which makes the athmosphere look to be better than it actually was http://youtu.be/mZaFWrLnzlY

Carroller wrote: »
    What did people think of this?

Pretty much a dead crowd apart from the three main songs, my girlfriend said she felt like falling asleep but then again I knew before we went she wouldn't like them :P

I took a video of kids which makes the athmosphere look to be better than it actually was http://youtu.be/mZaFWrLnzlY

The crowd seemed to be really enjoying the tunes from Oracular Spectacular, I tried getting into the new album all week but It just didn't jell with me at all, Personally I think some of it is just badly mixed and it's quite off putting, I find that there is a lack of clarity in Andrews vocals throughout the album compared to that of Oracular Spectacular. Maybe that's just me though.. :eek:

Either way I thought It was a good gig and I enjoyed it, I managed to get into the pit for the 1st time at the Olympia which was a miracle since I was running late, I can see where you're coming from though, I did notice a few people staring at the stage bored out of their minds..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

Thought that the band might have lost the "Kids" brigade by now especially with only 1 show in the Olympia on this tour compared to 3 on the Congratulations tour but that was not the case.

Band themselves were excellent but the crowd were (barring the 400 or so people out of about 1600 who were actually there to enjoy non Oracular Spectacular songs) disgraceful. As with the 3 other times I've seen this band, and has happened at a lot of Irish gigs in the last few years it was just FULL of people talking loudly to the point where you can't hear the music, not facing the stage, barging in and out to get pints. A crowd whose attitude was I'm only here for 3 songs so I don't care if I ruin the rest of the set for other people. This attitude summed up by the fact that about 1/4 of the crowd left before the encore after kids had been played.

MGMT can't seem to shake the image that they are a pop-dance novelty act (when they're a weird psych indie band) and for the most part attract an audience which is as ignorant about the bands own catalogue as it is about gig etiquette. I look forward to the day when I can see this great band in smaller venue with a few hundred like minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought they said that they would never play Kids again. When I saw them a few years ago I thought it was a bit pointless to have Kids on the setlist as it was just the band dancing to a backing track. Maybe they actually play it live now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement