Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.mkv

• 17-06-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I havent a clue about converting video so iv run into this problem.

I have .mkv files that i need to burn on DVD to be played in a player that supports MP3, WMA, VCD, SVCD, JPEG, MPEG-4, DivX format playback.

When i convert the .mkv files using AnyVideoConverter i selected .MPEG4 as its listed in the playback list. But when i analyse the files using GSpot it says the container is MP4 base media(iv no clue???) and the codec is mpv4.

The fact that MPEG-4 isnt shown anywhere is putting me off.

Is this correct? Any advice on the correct settings to use?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

if your just burning a file onto a DVD you could use MPEG-4 on a player that can play it.

If your trying to create a DVD (author a DVD) you should use MPEG-2 thats the standard for creating DVDs

Remember theres a difference in putting a file on a DVD and creating a DVD

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Fionn wrote: »
    if your just burning a file onto a DVD you could use MPEG-4 on a player that can play it.

If your trying to create a DVD (author a DVD) you should use MPEG-2 thats the standard for creating DVDs

Remember theres a difference in putting a file on a DVD and creating a DVD

:)

Ah i see, well i basicly just need to get the .mkv converted to a format thats accepted by a samsung f1080 dvd player
    so they can be watched on the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MKV is a growing standard.

I think you will save yourself a lot of effort and time by buying a DVD or Bluray Player that supports it.

Many smart phones will play them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Look up the manual for your player it will tell you what formats it can play. You can then convert into one of those formats.

Advertisement