Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elastic Laces good for tendinosis (or similar)?

Options
  • 17-06-2013 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hello!

This isn't a request for medical info - I've been to a physio - it's just a gear query.

I have had pain across the top of my foot for the last week and a half or so and am now taking a week off running to allow the inflammation to go down. The physio & I think that it could be caused by tying my laces too tight on a long hot run. i looked up tendinosis afterwards and see I have loads of the causes - high arches, high 'top of foot bit', increased mileage, hills, and running on rough surfaces. So it's probably that & I'm sure it will settle down.

I was wondering, though, if elastic laces might relieve the pressure on the top of my foot when i go back to running? I actually have a set that i haven't tried yet. Just wondering, shoe experts (Amphibianking?) if that might be a help or can elastic laces cause other problems. The top of my foot is quite high (I sometimes have trouble getting my feet into close-fitting boots) so I think that combined with possible foot-swelling in the hot weather last week could have really exacerbated the problem.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I would not agree with the elastic laces as these are very hard to get the tension 'just right'. A lot of people lace their shoes too tightly and once the feet warm up they struggle with pins & needles, numbness etc. There is an article on the differences in the speed laces on my blog which might be of help understanding this.

I would suggest relacing your shoes with one of the other lacing methods http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=single see the one about "MY SHOE IS TOO TIGHT ALONG THE TOP OF MY FOOT."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Brilliant! Thanks! i'll have a look at that article. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello!

This isn't a request for medical info - I've been to a physio - it's just a gear query.

I have had pain across the top of my foot for the last week and a half or so and am now taking a week off running to allow the inflammation to go down. The physio & I think that it could be caused by tying my laces too tight on a long hot run. i looked up tendinosis afterwards and see I have loads of the causes - high arches, high 'top of foot bit', increased mileage, hills, and running on rough surfaces. So it's probably that & I'm sure it will settle down.

I was wondering, though, if elastic laces might relieve the pressure on the top of my foot when i go back to running? I actually have a set that i haven't tried yet. Just wondering, shoe experts (Amphibianking?) if that might be a help or can elastic laces cause other problems. The top of my foot is quite high (I sometimes have trouble getting my feet into close-fitting boots) so I think that combined with possible foot-swelling in the hot weather last week could have really exacerbated the problem.

thanks!

I had kind of similar issues with my foot a few months back. I was told that it was from doing a long run (17 miles) while wearing elastic laces that caused my problem. I had worn them too tight and ended up damaging the tendon between my big toe and the next toe. It felt like someone was standing on the top of my foot with a stiletto heel when I ran
    I had to take a few weeks off running in my marathon training but after a few sessions of physio, sports massage and sports remedial therapy I eventually got sorted out.
    Don't know if i'd recommend the elastic laces, but that's just my personal opinion. Good luck with the recovery !!

Thanks! Your issue actually sounds similar to mine. I'd had twinges, but it got pretty bad after 13 miles on trails on a hot day, so I'd probably blame tight laces! Thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I would not agree with the elastic laces as these are very hard to get the tension 'just right'. A lot of people lace their shoes too tightly and once the feet warm up they struggle with pins & needles, numbness etc. There is an article on the differences in the speed laces on my blog which might be of help understanding this.

I would suggest relacing your shoes with one of the other lacing methods http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=single see the one about "MY SHOE IS TOO TIGHT ALONG THE TOP OF MY FOOT."

Aghhhh! That page broke my mind. 4 videos starting almost simultaneously:eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the lacing advice. I'm using the 'my shoe is too tight' one on my non injured foot. the injured one seems to need the one where you skip crossing laces over the top of the foot. It does seem to be improving, but it still feels like the shoe is exerting pressure after a few miles, or if I run faster. How tight should the very top tie be? I want to give enough support, but it feels like the less I constrict my foot the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I tie my laces quite loose & they end up perfect for when I'm running.

With your heel down and your toes pointing up (as if your foot was on a car pedal) your heel will sit into the back of the shoe. Now working from the bottom lace adjust the tension by 'flexing' your foot - squeeze your foot as if you wanted to lift something with your toes, the top of your foot will raise the tongue of the shoe easing the lace tension.

Do this for each lace eyelet on the way up the shoe. This leaved the laces 'eased' off your foot with enough room to allow flex and swelling. Tie off the top of the shoe with just enough tension to pull the ankle cuff snugly around your ankle but without being tight.

There should be no room at your heel and your foot should feel nice and secure at the ankle but very relaxed to the front of the shoe.

Just realised a video might be more suitable, I'll try and upload one later on.

http://youtu.be/20j8DdRaJNs

Thanks so much! I'm getting so fed up of this foot issue, so anything that eases it is fantastic! Thanks again!

Advertisement