Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witcher 2:AOK Enhanced Edition

• 17-06-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Jus thinking bout buying this on steam, its €6.79.

I like skyrim and like the fantasy genre so was thinking of getting this.
    Has anyone played it liked/hated it?
    Seems to be a lot of game for that price.
    I also hear the makers are about to release mod tools

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

EoinHef wrote: »
    Jus thinking bout buying this on steam, its €6.79.

I like skyrim and like the fantasy genre so was thinking of getting this.
    Has anyone played it liked/hated it?
    Seems to be a lot of game for that price.
    I also hear the makers are about to release mod tools
    Very differnet from skyrim but one of my favourite rpgs.More linear and the combat is nore tactical and difficult to get the hang of. If you can pick up the first one as well,its slightly dated but the story is great and it'll help you understand alot better whats going on it 2.At that price you can't lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bought this on Steam myself.

Very hard game to get adjusted to but im finding it very rewarding, Kinda reminds me of Dark Souls in a way.

Plus, lots of boobies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

You can not go wrong at that price!
    I would recommend playing thought witcher 1 first if you can. It has some very annoying quirks (...combat stances) and looks dated now but overall its a great game.

The sequel really improved on the first. Still looks great as well and its been out over two years now.

They are both very ...grown up RPGs :)

Both are more of a linear action style RPG and wouldn't be like Skyrim at all really. You have side quests and freedom to do some stuff as you please but overall the game runs from the main quest. As in you advance the chapters you can't go back.
    Both games are about 20 hours long and you can import your save from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 as well. Some choices carry over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just as a side note, if you get the Witcher 1 on Steam you save yourself a LOT of hassle trying to update the game to the enchanced version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

does it play well with an xbox controller ?

I bought a gaming PC nearly a year ago, but because i have it in a back room i hardly use it. thinking of moving it into my sitting room but then the keyboard mouse will not be an option really. I started it ages ago , but have not played it in ages.

I have a load of games bought on steam but not played !! I have about 100 hours on dark souls because the DLC came out on the PC first , and about 20 hrs on euro truck simulator 2. very little else played :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Good stuff,ill pick it up

Is it very story driven? Hence the suggestions to pick up witcher 1?
    Usually dont go back and buy the previous games in a series if I wanna play one as they dont usually hold my interest. I bought bioshock 1 and 2 to play before infinite and never played them! Find it hard when theres so many other games out!!

But I heard the graphics on the witcher 1 were very good for the time so maybe that will help with wanting to play it. Also its only €2.71 on steam!!!
    So can get both for €10 or so, thats with all the dlc.

Just started downloading Witcher 1 there,its 16GB file!!! Thought thats very big for an older game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1 is the best, dunno why but i prefer it to 2.

Both decent games tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

2smiggy wrote: »
    does it play well with an xbox controller ?
    Very well, actually. The combat is kind of like Arkham Asylum but with a sword and magic. Controller suits the 3rd person mechanics. Mouse is quicker for the menus and options, of course, but not to the extent where you'd want to switch between them unless you were playing on a desktop and the mouse was right there.
    Is it very story driven? Hence the suggestions to pick up witcher 1?

Extremely story driven. And very well-written story to boot. Witcher 1 does provide a lot of background info, but combat-wise it's a very different game, the flow is very different, almost like a MMORPG. And playing Witcher 1 will explain why you wake up in Witcher 2 in the middle of a war. And explain a whole lot of the amnesia Geralt has. And it's got a fine story of its own. It's not strictly necessary, I suppose. You could look the story up on a wiki or something.

Pick both up I say, they're wonderful games. The soundtracks particularly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved The Witcher 2. One of the few games where you can make a choice, and have the game completely change afterwards. Was also nice and challenging, which is something that's not too common these days.

Can't wait for the 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Witcher 2 was one of the few games I have ever pre-ordered and will be pre-ordering the 3rd one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, Witcher 2 was a great game, one of the best of the year.

Withcer 3 is an instant buy for me after the first 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

I dont really think it will be worth spending money, why not just wait for Witcher3 ?
    Witcher 2 - Was the most epic game in my life to be honest, It got everything to keep you on the seat for hours, the combat system the graphics everything was perfect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ODRIN

WHERE ARE YOU?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Dammit, I missed it - 19.99 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

my favourite type of magic...

Witcher 3 is due out next year, looks unreal. Day one purchase for me anyways. Probably PC but unsure yet, If anything like Witcher 2 it will cripple a lot of current machines. Might be a ps4 purchase.

Bought both last night night and played an hour of Witcher 1, the combat is certainly different.
    I dont mind different though, new challange in stead of just hack and slash button bashing, which can be boring I find. The timing the strikes and the stance thing did catch me out though, couldn hit people for 5 mins and couldnt work out why lol.

Graphically W1 isn as bad as id thought it would be with its age. There are some bad textures but nothing that would put me off.

The story has also got me interested, the intro is pretty long but good, so I reckon ill be sticking it out and finish it before I touch number 2.

Zulu wrote: »

Im new to pc gaming but everyone keeps saying the steam summer sale is only round the corner so hopefully it will be reduced again

Eli Nich wrote: »
    I dont really think it will be worth spending money, why not just wait for Witcher3 ?
    Witcher 2 - Was the most epic game in my life to be honest, It got everything to keep you on the seat for hours, the combat system the graphics everything was perfect

I would not have payed full retail price but Steam had witcher 1 and 2 enhanced editions for under €10 for both so thats why I said id buy it, price of 1 cinema ticket for god knows how many hours of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Keep an eye out for the Full Combat Re-balance 2 Mod.

It looks very interesting!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-2s-full-combat-rebalance-2-mod-comes-out-june-20th-massive-changelog-revealed/

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »

Witcher 2 is now $5.99 on gog.com. They have a sale on this week

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

Witcher 2 is now $5.99 on gog.com. They have a sale on this week

Come on Zulu grab it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for the Full Combat Re-balance 2 Mod.

It looks very interesting!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-2s-full-combat-rebalance-2-mod-comes-out-june-20th-massive-changelog-revealed/

This is out now. Apparently it's a bit buggy and also a 1.5gb download.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It sounds fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Eli Nich wrote: »
    Come on Zulu grab it :p

I forgot to pick it up, thanks for reminding me. It went up to $10.. better be worth it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just to remind people. witcher 2 is a fat bastard to download with all patches. You looking at not far of 30gb folder.

We'll worth it though :)

Advertisement