Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short games...

• 17-06-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

My lack of free time and short attention span means I get to complete very few games nowadays.

The latest one was Mafia 2. (Great game, very under-rated IMO). I really enjoyed the fact that I could see it through in few sittings rather than slog away for weeks. Gone are the days where I could do 10 hour nightly stretches over the course of a week on Oblivion, Fallout or some RTS.

I have the following staring at me at various distances from completion:

Far Cry 3
    Just Cause 2
    Fallout NV
    Dead Space 2
    Skyrim
    Red Dead Redemption

I want something (ideally Xbox or PC) that I can finish quickly, file away and have enjoyed.

What games are out there that focused on quality over quantity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Limbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Tomb Raider is quite short, around 8 hours for me. It held my attention well. QTE was the only bad point of that game imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I can relate to this request!

The Max Payne Trilogy are all a nice gameplay length I think. Each are about 6-7 hours really. I know some people are not going to like not getting their value for money but sometimes games over stay their welcome too. Max Payne 3 will surely pop up on the next steam sale if you haven't got it already.

Spec-ops the line, another short and sweet game. Its gameplay is fun but fairly by the numbers but its storyline is very "holy shít" didn't expect that!

Portal 1 and 2, 1 in-particular is only like 2 hours long I think? Sequel is not long either, I think about 10 hours. They should really be your benchmark for "quality over quantity"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i know you said xbox or PC but if you have a PS3 Journey is great. I am very bad for finishing games, but you can play through that in a few hours. It takes little concentration , very easy to play through , and a brilliant game as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Walking Dead series - won't get a finer game, and being in 5 episodes makes it easier to pick up and play (kinda hard to put it down though!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Duke Nukem Forever.

You'll play 5 minutes of it and never boot it up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Vanquish (xbox) is one I'm currently playing through. It's broken up into 5 Acts (i think) with 5-6 sections in each Act taking around 5-10 minutes (some less) so easy to leave and come back too with the whole game taking around 5-6 hours to complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

quarryman wrote: »
    What games are out there that focused on quality over quantity?

The Last of Us IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hey did say Xbox or PC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hey did say Xbox or PC :)

Oops

Let me amend my recommendation then.

Get a PS3 and The Last of Us!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Gunpoint and The Swapper are two great indie games out on PC.

Good fun and pretty short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Game Dev Tycoon is pretty short per game. You can get the demo free, or buy it here http://www.greenheartgames.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Hotline Miami.

Short, but quite difficult game. I wasn't able to put it down for the 6 hours or so it took me to finish.

Dishonored is a relatively short game that is fun to play. Personally, I found it a little easy and the story was lacking but it's worth a shot if you can get it for cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Monkey Island, Portal, Bastion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Tomb Raider released this year is short and v.enjoyable.
    Give Alan Wake, The Walking Dead(the TellTale one), Binary Domain and Batman: Arkham City and Asylum a look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Vanquish (xbox) is one I'm currently playing through. It's broken up into 5 Acts (i think) with 5-6 sections in each Act taking around 5-10 minutes (some less) so easy to leave and come back too with the whole game taking around 5-6 hours to complete.

We have a winner.

I forgot all about his game from when it was first out. I remember thinking at the time "No way am I paying €50 for a game that lasts 6 hours". Can pick it up second hand now for less than a tenner!

Advertisement