Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A car charger that works??

• 17-06-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

I am going through car chargers for my iphone 3gs like they are going out of fashon. Every one i get works fine for a few days then starts showing a message that "charging is not supported with this accessory"

I just keep bringin them back for a refund or exchange but its very annoying. Anyone got a recomendation for a charger that works?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Where are you buying them? Mine is working for years :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It should say made for iphone/ipod on the box of the charger (that means it's a licensed accessory). Have you checked that the charging port on the phone is not full of crap, have a look it's probably fully of pocket fluff, poke it out with a pin when the phone is turned off.

made_for_ipod_ipad_iphone.eps.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Bought them in argos, an electrical shop and the last 2 in a phone repair shop. Never had any that say made for iphone on them? Will try find one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I bought one in Dealz for €1,49 and connected my lightening cable to it & it charges my iPhone 5 perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

aaakev wrote: »
    I am going through car chargers for my iphone 3gs like they are going out of fashon. Every one i get works fine for a few days then starts showing a message that "charging is not supported with this accessory"

I just keep bringin them back for a refund or exchange but its very annoying. Anyone got a recomendation for a charger that works?

Its the phone not the charger. Clean the port that the charger connects to, I had the same problem with mine before. Get an old toothbrush and clean it, should have no problems after that. Or look up youtube, plenty of videos on how to clean them :D

• Advertisement

Cleaned it out, there was a fair ammount of lint in it.... Hopefully thats it! Cheers lads

Well that hasnt worked... My phone seems to only charge with apple cables! The one i got woth it works fine same if i use my brothers or any number of them in the office but the spurious ones keep bringing up the same message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Got mine in dealz as a previous poster mentions for my 4s and its doing the business. The cig connecter and the wire at €2.98. Give it a go anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Just get a cig lighter usb charger,oem apple cable plugs into this and charges phone,oem sat nav plugs into it if I don't need the phone charged.

hi,
    might be overkill but i got one of
    these
    for about €90 last year in halfords.
    (€25 for the connector)

i was tired of messing about with cheap radio transmitters and, like your problem,
    i had bought a few cheap crappy cigarette chargers which didn't help either.

i drive an hour each way to/from work and phone (4S) is charged with no problems.
    132544.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have been in that situation too but found a "Dexim" brand iphone charger in xtravision for €10. It's outlived every single car charger I ever bought!!

Unfortunately I only gave it away a few days ago to another boardsie as I've bought the iPhone 5 and its no good.

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/dexim-car-charger-apple-no-layout-updates.html

Btw. For my 5 I bought a TomTom car usb plug from pc world. It cost around €15 and has 2 USB sockets in it, one of which is a high speed charging USB. Charges my iphone 5 from empty to full in bout an hour! You do need to use your usb cable with it though.

The thing I like about this one is that it will charge my ipad or other device and phone at the same time. Here's a link to it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/tomtom-announces-3-in-1-car-charger

ed1604 wrote: »
    hi,
    might be overkill but i got one of
    these
    for about €90 last year in halfords.
    (€25 for the connector)

i was tired of messing about with cheap radio transmitters and, like your problem,
    i had bought a few cheap crappy cigarette chargers which didn't help either.

i drive an hour each way to/from work and phone (4S) is charged with no problems.
    132544.jpeg
    Looks good but not an option as im in a company car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

aaakev wrote: »
    Looks good but not an option as im in a company car

Why not? Unless you have a built in radio, just keep the original.

Other option, as mentioned above, is get a USB car charger and another Apple USB cable. I got a double socket USB charger in TK Max for 6 quid. Works a treat.

TBi wrote: »
    Why not? Unless you have a built in radio, just keep the original.

Other option, as mentioned above, is get a USB car charger and another Apple USB cable. I got a double socket USB charger in TK Max for 6 quid. Works a treat.
    Yeah its a built in double deck so wont work..

Think thats the best option, ill pick up an apple cable in carphone warehouse i reckon!

Advertisement