Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yosemite. 2 day trip?

Options
  • 17-06-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi folks. My sister is in LA for the next few weeks with work and hopes to travel around a bit while she's there, San Francisco, Las Vegas etc but she would really love to go to Yosemite.
    Anyone been there? And if so for how long? Is two days enough? She'll most likely head up there on her weekend off.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've been 3 times the last year and done most of the trails in Yosemite Valley.
    It would recommend staying overnight as its a long drive even from San Francisco (3 & half hours) into the Valley and there is lots to see.
    If you are travelling only for a weekend, you have to leave very early in the morning, no later than 7.30am as the queues to get into the park will be massive.

Curry Camp is the place to stay in the Valley, its peak season now so you will have to book in advance + it'll be expensive.

If your sister is into hiking and doesn't mind heights and tough trails I would recommend "The 4 Mile Trail" up to the top of Glacier Point. It a tough slog, 4 hour round trip for someone used to the hike. Add another hour depending on your fitness and stamina.

Other highlights for me would be the Mist Trail (bus stop 16) with Vernal Falls looking stunning this time of year, The Mirror Lake (bus stop 17) and then Yosemite Falls itself, which you just walk up to and admire or hike up to the top of.

Bring a packed lunch, lots of water as its into the 90F in the Valley in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

ongarite wrote: »
    I've been 3 times the last year and done most of the trails in Yosemite Valley.
    It would recommend staying overnight as its a long drive even from San Francisco (3 & half hours) into the Valley and there is lots to see.
    If you are travelling only for a weekend, you have to leave very early in the morning, no later than 7.30am as the queues to get into the park will be massive.

Curry Camp is the place to stay in the Valley, its peak season now so you will have to book in advance + it'll be expensive.

If your sister is into hiking and doesn't mind heights and tough trails I would recommend "The 4 Mile Trail" up to the top of Glacier Point. It a tough slog, 4 hour round trip for someone used to the hike. Add another hour depending on your fitness and stamina.

Other highlights for me would be the Mist Trail (bus stop 16) with Vernal Falls looking stunning this time of year, The Mirror Lake (bus stop 17) and then Yosemite Falls itself, which you just walk up to and admire or hike up to the top of.

Bring a packed lunch, lots of water as its into the 90F in the Valley in the summer.

Thanks very much for your help ongarite, I'll pass it on to her, she'll be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

You should see plenty of Yosemite in 2 days. My wife an I visited there last year before driving to Las Vegas via Death Valley (stopping overnight on the west side of Death Valley). Then we did a drive around the Grand Canyon, highlights being the Grand Canyon itself and hiking the Narrows at Zion National park in Utah (you should see if you could fit Zion into your trip, would be well worth it).

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

McG wrote: »
    You should see plenty of Yosemite in 2 days. My wife an I visited there last year before driving to Las Vegas via Death Valley (stopping overnight on the west side of Death Valley). Then we did a drive around the Grand Canyon, highlights being the Grand Canyon itself and hiking the Narrows at Zion National park in Utah (you should see if you could fit Zion into your trip, would be well worth it).

Thanks McG, she's heading to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon this weekend so I'll pass on your info to her. Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

I am travelling to the USnext month. Travelling from DV to Mariposa(Best Western) then onto San Fran.We want to take In Yosemite on the way. What is the best way of doing this???

Drive into/through the park fromDV or drive to Mariposa from DV then into the park and back out?

We cannot stop of anywhere as wehave no free days.

Also we have a few nights inVegas, what is the best/cheapest way to book the Grand Canyon tour. Here before I go or over there?

Any good websites?

• Advertisement
Advertisement