Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being Put On The Spot

• 17-06-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm an intelligent person. I can argue a point, consider all sides of an argument & make rational decisions, and understand other people's opinions. I can also admit when I'm wrong, and hopefully learn from it.

However, I'm terrible when unprepared or put on the spot. When something unexpected happens. My mind just goes blank. It's always happened, in exams, interviews, business meetings, or even just having a good aul debate / discussion / argument with someone over anything.

I tend to draw a blank and it's only hours (sometimes days) after the event when something will come to me and I'll think to myself "why didn't I think of this at the time?!".

Has this ever happened to you? If so, what tricks do you use after running out of ideas in the middle of an argument??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No matter what the argument, if your stuck, all you have to say is, "Yeah well so's your face!"

It wins any debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

El Guapo! wrote: »
    No matter what the argument, if your stuck, all you have to say is, "Yeah well so's your face!"

It wins any debate.

That phrase makes me want to bitch slap the silly little face that utters it. It's puerile, humourless and is the mark of a person with no imagination whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It wins any debate.

I'm a fan of, "Yeah, well. Your dog hates you".

Works extra well if they don't even have a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It wins any debate.

'FGR for the last time I think you should see a doctor about that pain you have..'

'YEAH WELL SO'S YOUR FACE!'

/win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

"you look like ya smell of piss"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Grayson wrote: »
    That phrase makes me want to bitch slap the silly little face that utters it. It's puerile, humourless and is the mark of a person with no imagination whatsoever.

Yeah well so's your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm a fan of, "Yeah, well. Your dog hates you".

Works extra well if they don't even have a dog.

Unless it's a big fella you're arguing with and he thinks you're talking about his girlfriend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

And if they say "that doesn't make sense", you can say back "Yeah, well neither does your face!"

tempnam wrote: »

I tend to draw a blank and it's only hours (sometimes days) after the event when something will come to me and I'll think to myself "why didn't I think of this at the time?!".

Keep some handy phrases in your arsenal that suit any occasion.
    Here's two you can run with:

'Yes'.

or if that seems inappropriate:

'That would be an ecumenical matter'.

If either of those two don't seem apt, I'd go with 'So's your face'. It's a good all-rounder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

How did the exams go today kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

usually happens when you try to think of things from too many sides or ways at once, just say something then when they say something or :eek: just say something to explain further and bring in the stuff you were thinking but didnt say, this is called a conversation. try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

....ummm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

If in doubt .. use BRB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

if in doubt insult there mother
    that will show them... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have a neighbour whose completely useless when put on the spot. (intelligent fella too)

Conversations go like this

Me:
    'Happy New Year <insert neighbour's name>'

Neighbour:
    'That's the main thing <insert my name>'

Poor fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've won every argument I've ever had.

afterwards, while I'm standing in the shower thinking of all the stuff I could have said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'm pretty poor on my feet too. I've seen some people who are great on their feet but one of the most common traits I've noticed in these people is that they spoof but they give the impression that they fully believe the spoof.

What's the old saying about learning to fake sincerity?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Had to look up puerile... thanks for the new word Greyson. :)

Get some Phoenix Wright into you........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

The solution to this is, go to the pub very often, staying 10 to 12 hours at a time. Do this for about 10 to 20 years. Trust me you will be fukn great at arguing. Even about stuff you don't give a sh1t about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Being caught completely unprepared can be pretty horrible but I've found it best to always have something, say it with confidence, then notify everyone of the slight modifications to the plan (aka complete about face and re-write) later. The key is to say it with confidence, if you don't believe what you're saying then no-one else will.*

*This post may be subject to slight modification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

HondaSami wrote: »
    How did the exams go today kids?

Brilliant. Turns out it's just scabies and not leprosy after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I can totally relate OP. Every time I have to give a presentation, it really doesn't matter how well I know my subject, first there's a mad dash around my brain of everything I know about the subject, followed by a huge plop as it all lands in one soggy mess on the thinking part of my brain and then, there's silence. Complete and utterly empty silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I can totally relate OP. Every time I have to give a presentation, it really doesn't matter how well I know my subject, first there's a mad dash around my brain of everything I know about the subject, followed by a huge plop as it all lands in one soggy mess on the thinking part of my brain and then, there's silence. Complete and utterly empty silence.

Step 1 - Tell them what you're going to tell them. "Today I'm going to tell you how our sales went last quarter".

Step 2. Tell them. "Last quarter our sales went like this".

Step 3. Tell them what you've told them. "So you can see that last quarter our sales increased by 5%".

If you get a question and you want time to process it, these are good phrases.

"Why do you ask that?"
    "That's an interesting question"
    "I'm glad you brought that up."
    "What do you think it means?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah, well my Da can batter your Da!

Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Accuse them of being uneducated and imply you have neither the time nor patience to explain the subject to them.

Advertisement