Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hops best before

Options
  • 17-06-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

I opened a bag of hops about 6 weeks ago for a brew. After using it I sealed it back as good as I could and put it in the freezer. Doese anyone know how long it would still be good for?

I am planning on doing another brew this week and was hoping to use some of the opened hops in it if they would still be good

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hops don't really have a good/bad: they're in a continual state of decline from the moment they're picked. Use them as soon as you can.

Sealed in the freezer I wouldn't be worried at all until about six months, and after that I'd still use them, but more likely for bittering than flavour or aroma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

About to ask the exact same question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

While we're all here and discussing hops anyway, how much would people dry hop a 23 litre kit with.

Question applies to Pilsner and Saaz and also to IPA and Cascade, but not sure if beer or hop types make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It's all relative to the beer you are making and what you want to achieve. A typical example might be 25g but it varies a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

gosplan wrote: »
    While we're all here and discussing hops anyway, how much would people dry hop a 23 litre kit with.

Question applies to Pilsner and Saaz and also to IPA and Cascade, but not sure if beer or hop types make a difference.

I would usually use about 25 - 50 grams when dry hopping a beer. If using leaf hops I put them in a sanitised muslin bag. Saaz is a fairly subtle hop so you might need a few ounces to get a nice aroma. I actually dry hopped my latest pale ale with columbus pellets in a muslin bag and found it worked well. Pellets work a lot quicker when dry hopping than leaf but can dispersed all through the beer if not given plenty of time to settle or use refrigeration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement