Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Friendly Accommodation in Dublin?

• 17-06-2013 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there. I'm struggling to find pet friendly accommodation in Dublin. It seems most places are anti-animals. I have two very well behaved cats, once is barely past kittenhood. My friend and I are looking for a 2 bed apartment, preferably near a DART line.

Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to have to consider rehoming them. That would break my heart and I don't see it as an option.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mentalist101

It'll be pretty hard for you to fin a two bed pet friendly accommodation in Dublin, and if you do you will probably have to pay pet deposit or sign an agreement that you will pay for any damages caused to the property by the animals as well as to steam clean the house when you are moving out.

I've been living in rented accommodation for three years now and have been a great tenant, but the mention of possibly bringing a kitten into the house almost led to my lease no being renewed.

Good luck with your search..... you'll be needing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Go to look at places, talk to the landlord and let them see that you are decent people. If you like the place, then mention you have pets rather then telling them over the phone.

I rent and have lots of pets and there is no problem so don't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Am renting myself, 3 bunnies in the garden and 2 toms, who are outdoor cats...well, indoor and outdoor, depending on me being around or not.

No problems with the landlord either, I mentioned having a pet insurance with Third Party liability, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I'm renting with a dog, previously a two bed apartment in North Dublin and now a house in South Dublin at the end of this month so I've been looking up till yesterday when we got somewhere. There are a good few places pop up on Daft with pets allowed and a lot of the time as well it might not say it on the ad but once you talk to them they are okay with it. Its pretty easy to judge the places that would and wouldn't take pets. Cats might be easier than dogs in terms of making less noise. Its very very limiting to what you can rent but there are options out there. Where are you looking to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

hang in there and keep looking, you'll find somewhere - I agree with the above posters - in my experience once you go and talk to the land lords and they know you are decent it will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

If you're looking on Daft, don't click the "pets allowed" option. That'll limit the results you get by a lot. There are some landlords who don't put "pets allowed" on their ads but it doesn't mean they won't accept them. For example, there was no "pets allowed" on the apartment I rent and when I said it to the landlord that I have a lot of guinea pigs he said "That's grand and thanks for telling me, but you can get a dog if you like".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

You'll do better if you actually go and see somewhere, meet the landlord and then mention it in person.
    Our landlord said no pets but its 3 years later and we have 4 guinea pigs and a rabbit! She said that she had a good vibe from us so wouldn't mind about the pets. She just didnt want to be near them cos she's scared of the little furries!

Advertisement