Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulking up

• 17-06-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi lads

Need a bit of advice.

What body fat should you be before starting to do real strength training and really trying to bulk up. Im down to 22% bf from 28%. Im 6 2 tall so I hold ot well enough and my weight is 16.5 st.

I dont want to be one of these fat strong lads you see on tv. Stong and lean is what I want. Will the strenght training get rid of the unwanted bf as I go.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I'm going to try carb back loading for this purpose, see how it goes. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

The way my body usually works is:

Gain Mass

then

Shred Fat

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭biinman

i would generally recomend being around 15% but i have found strength only seems to drop once you go below 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Robbie220 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Need a bit of advice.

What body fat should you be before starting to do real strength training and really trying to bulk up. Im down to 22% bf from 28%. Im 6 2 tall so I hold ot well enough and my weight is 16.5 st.

I dont want to be one of these fat strong lads you see on tv. Stong and lean is what I want. Will the strength training get rid of the unwanted bf as I go.
    strength training won't make you fatter and at the beginning the gains in strength are increased response from your body rather than physical change. Why don't you just count your calories eat lots of protein and split some cardio with some strength training

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aaronmcnulty

well your best bet is to do plenty of ab workouts if you want to look good and turn fat to muscle.. when weight lifting you loose fat but put on muscle which will make you heavier but its good.. make sure to have a good diet try eat some sort of protein before or after your workouts.. i have 4 eggs a half hour before i workout and this is the same as the protein shakes but your home made one ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlor59

You need to follow a cutting diet and you can still strength train. This will allow you to keep existing muscle mass and lose body fat due to the diets low carb intake. Bulking needs a high enough carb intake with most coming from breakfast(porridge) and other complex types throughout the day. Cutting needs a slightly higher protein intake to support you existing muscle mass.

Bulking Diet
    Protein – 1 gram per lb. of body weight
    Carbohydrates – 2 gram per lb. of body weight
    Fats – 1 gram per 3lb. of body weight

Cutting diet
    Protein – 1 gram per lb. of body weight
    Carbohydrates – 1 gram per lb. of body weight
    Fats – 1 gram per 5lb. of body weight

Stick to compound exercises for really good gains.
    Remember thought not all protein, carbs and fats are equal. Do a bit of research on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Robbie220 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Need a bit of advice.

I dont want to be one of these fat strong lads you see on tv. Stong and lean is what I want. Will the strength training get rid of the unwanted bf as I go.

Weight loss or gain is dictated by your diet.
    Strength training will be a benefit regardless of your current goals. As it it will help both.

There's a lot of nonsense posted already in this thread, just keep it simply. Do strength training and diet to match your goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

your bodfat percent seems pretty high...id advise throwing in some intense cardio into your workout to build a stronger core and completely cut bodfat. it wont effect your strength unless youre running marathons or something to that extreme

swimming or running or cycling all work...preferably swimming for keeping upperbody strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

well your best bet is to do plenty of ab workouts if you want to look good and turn fat to muscle..

turn fat to muscle ey? :pac:

Advertisement