Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 860

Options
  • 17-06-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Is this any good like i wanted to upgrade my cpu from and i5 3450 to this but then realised that it has a 1156 socket :( but would it have mad much of a difference in speed and performance ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not unless you were doing serious video editing or something equally CPU intensive. For day to day stuff you probably wouldn't really notice. If you're interested in selling the i7 I might be interested ? I have an i5 iMac that would benefit from an i7.

This might explain it a bit.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

ZENER wrote: »
    Not unless you were doing serious video editing or something equally CPU intensive. For day to day stuff you probably wouldn't really notice. If you're interested in selling the i7 I might be interested ? I have an i5 iMac that would benefit from an i7.

This might explain it a bit.

Ken

I do alot of graphic designing that really runs my i5 , I dont actually have the i7 i was thinking of getting it :P but i wouldnt bother if that would be the only difference :L But thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Does the software you use support any gpu acceleration. Software that supports "CUDA" or "Open CL" support can get massive performance gains with a cheap graphics card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Is this any good like i wanted to upgrade my cpu from and i5 3450 to this but then realised that it has a 1156 socket :( but would it have mad much of a difference in speed and performance ?

It would be a downgrade if anything the i7-860 is almost 3 years older than the i5-3450 and despite the lack of hyperthreading the i5 will outperformed it in most tasks.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-860-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3450

Advertisement