Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get your JC results?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hello 1996 wrote: »
    They also tell you your general position in the year-results wise!

What a horrible thing to do.
    JC results day is a day to feel good about yourself, not be told that there are x number of people who got 'better' or 'worse' results than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

spurious wrote: »
    What a horrible thing to do.
    JC results day is a day to feel good about yourself, not be told that there are x number of people who got 'better' or 'worse' results than you.
    Totally agree. The JC isn't meant to be a competition between students. Leading up to the exams, a couple of my teachers constantly reminded us that we were "up against every other 3rd year in the country", and that we had to do such and such to get on top.. blah blah. I could not give a damn what place I come in, I just want to get results which represent the work I've put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Totally agree. The JC isn't meant to be a competition between students. Leading up to the exams, a couple of my teachers constantly reminded us that we were "up against every other 3rd year in the country", and that we had to do such and such to get on top.. blah blah. I could not give a damn what place I come in, I just want to get results which represent the work I've put in.

That's to the people who are top in their class or whatever not to slack off. "Put in your absolute best effort" would be a better phrasing, because if everyone finds an exam easy-going, they'll have to differentiate between the A, B and C candidate somehow IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

It's not a competition but i've been treating it as a competition between my best friends for three years now and I can clearly see that this "idea" has motivated us to work harder, even pass our full extent. But some people shouldn't treat it as a competition as many people show no sportsmanship and take it too far.

Although it's a good thought, it motivates me and my friends, so yea :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

That's to the people who are top in their class or whatever not to slack off. "Put in your absolute best effort" would be a better phrasing, because if everyone finds an exam easy-going, they'll have to differentiate between the A, B and C candidate somehow IMO.
    That would definitely be the best thing to say.

And sure, Arnie, a little competition between a few friends isn't all that bad, but I would think that whichever one of your friends got the worst grades would feel a little disheartened, when there is no need to be. Anyway, at least it's not as bad as teachers encouraging students to strive to beat everyone else in the country. Too much pressure, and not the purpose of the JC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

That would definitely be the best thing to say.

And sure, Arnie, a little competition between a few friends isn't all that bad, but I would think that whichever one of your friends got the worst grades would feel a little disheartened, when there is no need to be. Anyway, at least it's not as bad as teachers encouraging students to strive to beat everyone else in the country. Too much pressure, and not the purpose of the JC.
    My "good" friends in class are the ones that get the top results in class ... between us 3 .. we're the only ones achieving the best results in class tests :D, I think they'll be dishearted if my dream of getting 7 As comes true. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 3yearstudent98

At our school the fourth years all go to the big school room at 12:00 and then they had them out in envelopes and then the whole year goes into town with teachers and does random stuff for the whole day!!

I know I'm gonna be so nervous September 11th as I always over think things and I know if I don't get a good few As ill be really disappointed!!

Advertisement