Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed leaving cert maths twice

• 17-06-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Failed leaving cert maths twice dont have a clue what to do want to do business management but cant get to college i have 6 other passes with 290 points at should i do i tryed online courses and all of them require you to do a level 6 minor then a level 6 major to get to college and this will take 2 years at at min please help with ideas reall going mad cause i want to do something with my life and i am unable :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyway, you're probably better off asking elsewhere. I think there is a forum for mature students, people over there may have a better idea of your options.

Can you get a PLC without maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There are some old posts out there where folks talk about friends who got into PLC's after failing Maths. I personally know someone who failed Maths in the leaving cert, but got into a PLC in Tralee.
    That was in Tralee Community College, so I imagine one can get into doing a PLC without maths in other places. You may want to contact your local FAS/ SOLAS/ Community College in regards to this. But many are very cool and calm about this, gladly taking folks on board who are willing to do the work. And that is all it requires, one must be able to do the work.

I commiserate with folks, to be honest. I remember doing my LC years ago, and absolutely fretting like crazy that I had failed Maths.
    I did Ordinary level maths, got a D1, and was absolutely delighted. (For me, passing Maths was like winning the world cup. I was absolutely terrible at the subject, just awful. So to pass it, was, well, very pleasant experience. And remember, that D1 was through the use of Maths Grinds. I really cannot underestimate how bad I was at maths, and would have failed it without grinds.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dachshunds

loi09 wrote: »
    Failed leaving cert maths twice dont have a clue what to do want to do business management but cant get to college i have 6 other passes with 290 points at should i do i tryed online courses and all of them require you to do a level 6 minor then a level 6 major to get to college and this will take 2 years at at min please help with ideas reall going mad cause i want to do something with my life and i am unable :confused:

hi there, did you know that some of the institute of technologies let you do a maths entrance exam for those people who have failed leaving cert maths. Its usually on the week after the leaving cert results are out, there is details in the college prospectus about it. so check it out, you can also do a plc course and some it's are linked to specific schools where u have a better chance of progressing onto the it if you do the course in the one they are linked with. you have a good leaving cert result there should be a way around this, let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

loi09 wrote: »

You should have failed English as well if this post is anything to go by:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 little missunshine

You should have failed English as well if this post is anything to go by:D

Ignorance.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Kristopherus, as a long time user of Boards you are well aware of what is and is not tolerated. All users are expected to be civil. Don't make a post like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Also would like to add that there are many PLC's up and down the country that allow you to repeat Maths, and other subjects, as part of the course (you just have to ask about it). I have read a few other posts regarding that. Again, look into it, and contact your local PLC place.

How much are the points for the course? Check the prospectus as they may have dropped a tad. I know a few courses that significantly dropped in points from a few years before. Some that used to be, like, 340, went down to 280/290. The drop in points can be put down to either lack of demand/ or a high instance of people quitting the course (A lot of folks transfer from one course to another, and then there are some that drop out to pursue another course somewhere else entirely).

Advertisement