Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4S

• 17-06-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm thinking of finally moving onto a smartphone, and the iPhone really appeals to me. Just wondering is their much of a difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4s?
    I've heard that the charger for the 5 is delicate enough to be a pain, so I suppose what I want to know is, what benefit is there to buying a 5 over a 4s?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bagsofballs

I've just upgraded to the 5 after having the 4s since launch, there isn't a massive difference but it certainly feels better and the extra real estate on the screen is very welcome. If money isn't an option go for the 5 but the 4s is still a very good phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

If you're insisting on buying apple I would go with the 5. Better build quality, looks nicer, better sound, camera, etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd go for the 5 for sure, there doesn't appear that much difference to begin with, but if you use the 4S after a couple of days with the 5 if feels like a brick in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The 5 is a lot lighter as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

guil wrote: »
    The 5 is a lot lighter as well

Good point. I'm usually knackered at the end of a long day humping this lump of a 4s around.

One would assume this isn't the place to ask about buying an iPhone 5 over any other smartphone?
    Only reason I ask is the inability to download music directly
    to iPhone from meteor music (for example) is a little bit of a downside to me. Does anyone else find this a pain or...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

s-cogan wrote: »
    One would assume this isn't the place to ask about buying an iPhone 5 over any other smartphone?
    Only reason I ask is the inability to download music directly
    to iPhone from meteor music (for example) is a little bit of a downside to me. Does anyone else find this a pain or...
    if paying you can download from itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Upgraded from 4s to 5 last month. Miss the weighty feel of the 4s !
    Also the 5 wifi is not as strong (unless mine is faulty), the wife has 4s and we can be sitting beside each other and she has full wifi but my 5 has dropped it all together and switched to phone data ! And that's dead slow!
    I do love it though, bigger screen is better, doesn't drop the blue tooth connection to hands free in car like the 4s does (despite both phones running latest OS), camera is that bit better, and being lighter means (in theory) less chance of damage should you drop it!
    I probably haven't helped have I? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

At this stage you would be a fool to buy either, more so the 4S.

A new iPhone is only months away and the 4S will be two year old tech.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

4S, 5 isnt worth the extra money, dont listen to these rich nerds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Migworks wrote: »
    Upgraded from 4s to 5 last month. Miss the weighty feel of the 4s !
    Also the 5 wifi is not as strong (unless mine is faulty), the wife has 4s and we can be sitting beside each other and she has full wifi but my 5 has dropped it all together and switched to phone data ! And that's dead slow!
    I do love it though, bigger screen is better, doesn't drop the blue tooth connection to hands free in car like the 4s does (despite both phones running latest OS), camera is that bit better, and being lighter means (in theory) less chance of damage should you drop it!
    I probably haven't helped have I? Lol

i would think that there is a fault with yours, i pick up my wi-fi outside with the 5 where i didnt with the 4. i think its far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Ok so I would prefer the larger screen but anyone else prefer the look of the iPhone 4s over the 5, or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

etxp wrote: »
    i would think that there is a fault with yours, i pick up my wi-fi outside with the 5 where i didnt with the 4. i think its far better.

My 5 does it too if I leave data on. Really quite annoying being caught for data charges and only realising later. Turned off data and its range extended IMO.

With data on it would randomly decide it had enough of wifi and just disconnect. I could then go to settings and search and my home wifi would still be there within range but no connected too,

mad muffin wrote: »
    At this stage you would be a fool to buy either, more so the 4S.

A new iPhone is only months away and the 4S will be two year old tech.

I hear what you're saying. Is there a ballpark release date, does anyone know, as my current brick is terminally ill, and I need a new phone for work, but i'll struggle on for a small while if the new iPhone is due soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I hear what you're saying. Is there a ballpark release date, does anyone know, as my current brick is terminally ill, and I need a new phone for work, but i'll struggle on for a small while if the new iPhone is due soon.
    usually its around "Fall" time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Should be between September to November (this is by the time it gets an Irish release).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

thanks for all your help. Say i'll nearly go for a 5. Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

I like the iPhone 5 as a computer but in the land of marginal reception it is real poor at picking up reception .
    Walking to an area where there is reception is not enough -it simply doesn't seem to bother to see if there is any signal ( compared to my wife's iPhone 4s it is a dud she can make and receive calls indoors while my iPhone 5 shows "no signal" even on the window sill (outside) .
    Walking to an area where there is known reception in itself ,just to send a text requires me to dial a telephone no or go into settings and turn on then off airplane mode.
    Had a look at inter web and see that there was a band available for the earlier phones to improve their reception also came across a cover with areal for the iPhone 5 but on an independent test saw that the phone operated better without it .
    Any ideas or recommendations would be welcome .
    Thanks
    Ps The apple way of sending texts drive me nuts all my older phones once sent would always go eventually when the phone came into signal -and I had no problems making calls in the house with Nokias..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, trying to decide between both of these handsets.

One of my main concerns is 4G. Am I right in thinking that the 5 only works on certain 4G frequencies or something like that? If so, will it actually work when it's rolled out here? It was Three I was thinking of going to for it, but o2 have made me a decent offer on a tariff when I threatened to leave. (I know they're the same thing now)

Advertisement