Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Keys Cut (Dublin)

• 17-06-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Got a mortise key cut today for €3.80 on Clanbrassil st.

Had shopped around - in Ranelagh - Dunville ave, they were looking for over 8 euro and in the place in Nutgrove shopping center they wanted 7.95.

Here's the place:
    http://goo.gl/maps/A94WQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Had shopped around - in Ranelagh - Dunville ave, they were looking for over 8 euro and in the place in Nutgrove shopping center they wanted 7.95.

Here's the place:

Did you actually shop around to get a key cut

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Initially no, but I was so surprised at the cost - over 8 euro - at the first place I went into, I thought I'd see if I could get it done cheaper.

It's just for a spare key, so I was in no hurry.

Surely you should shop around for most things, where practical?

Also, if you shop around you get to know the places with the best value,
    and by sticking it on the internet, more people will use these services, which hopefully will keep prices down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Did you actually shop around to get a key cut

"Every pound is a prisoner".. or euro for us;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭teddyteddy

i got one done in meath street market . 4 euro . nice dealer . he sells brick a brack . but had a machine and a gazillion choices of designs of keys . english accent . nice man too . x

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know it's not Dublin, but I just got a key cut in the Parkway in Limerick for €3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

I did not have the original postbox keys to a house we bought. A key cutting place on Amiens Street, opposite Connolly Station, made me a new key for 6.50 euro, with 4.50 euro for each spare. They used a computerized setup to locate & cut the key. I found them very helpful and professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

Thanks OP, I pass by there every day going to/from work. Good to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Good work OP - some places will absolutely rob you for something that should cost an absolute max of €5. Always good to know the whereabouts of a Square Dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Here's the place:

There must be a huge % profit on key cutting, particularly in shopping centres. Key cutting goes hand in hand with cobblers for some reason:confused::confused:

I needed 2 spare keys for my patio door basta lock. Cobbler wanted €10. But DIY store a few doors down had a new lock with 3 keys for €8.95.

Bought new lock instead. Simple 5 min job to fit it with a screwdriver.

Result:- Saved money, new lock in door, 3 original keys instead of copies, sometimes key copies just never fit right.

I know with the more expensive locks that copy keys are cheaper than lock replacement. Also, the dead locks in timber doors need some skill to replace..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

nightster1 wrote: »
    There must be a huge % profit on key cutting, particularly in shopping centres. Key cutting goes hand in hand with cobblers for some reason:confused::confused:

I needed 2 spare keys for my patio door basta lock. Cobbler wanted €10. But DIY store a few doors down had a new lock with 3 keys for €8.95.

Bought new lock instead. Simple 5 min job to fit it with a screwdriver.

Result:- Saved money, new lock in door, 3 original keys instead of copies, sometimes key copies just never fit right.

I know with the more expensive locks that copy keys are cheaper than lock replacement. Also, the dead locks in timber doors need some skill to replace..

Looked into it myself a couple of years ago proper machines are very expensive, you can never have enough key types in stock, many key types will sit in stock forever then once you get into laser keys, honda, yamaha, ford, etc, needing cnc type machines or dedicated machines, then paying for software updates, transponders, immobiliser emulator, programmers etc. etc. the overheads are massive. Its grand for the person with an 80euro chinese knockoff machine to charge half nothing for cutting single sided house keys. The proper locksmith has to cover their overheads.

Heres a good bargain tip though. Take a picture of your keys square on, zip and encrypt and email to yourself. Then if you ever need a key a good locksmith will read the mechanical code from the picture and your back in business. Saves getting locks picked/drilled/replaced.

With regard to your patio door lock for 8.95 you can snap the cheap ones in two and open the door with almost no noise or disturbance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 LingLingLove

€2 for keys cut in the building equipment shop on watery lane clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭teddyteddy

i have basta keys spare sets i got them cut for the old locks in doors bedrooms . got cut today 3.50 taught it was a good find .. same guy thomas st handy ... number 12 seems to be most popular. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Worst 3.80 I ever spent, got a mortice key cut yesterday from this place and the thing doesn't work... Will have to get filing the key down...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

€2.80 for standard house key, in Woodies DIY, Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

Old thread I know, but got two keys cut yesterday at 3.50 each. Thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

browsing wrote: »
    Old thread I know, but got two keys cut yesterday at 3.50 each. Thanks op

Which place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

nightster1 wrote: »

I used to think that til I chatted to someone that offered the service.

The number of different blank keys needed is a huge stocking cost. The machine is expensive too and its not exactly a massive demand item.

So stock and machine lies idle for most of the time.

His earnings came from callouts and commercial lock and safe business and the keycutting was a necessary pain in the ass.

Advertisement