Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number

Options
  • 17-06-2013 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭

Quick question, why would a landlord ask a potential tenant for their PPS number, if they already have a reference from the tenants employer? Is this normal? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Possibly for the PRTB form.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

PRTB require it for registration of the tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    PRTB require it for registration of the tenancy.
    While it is requested on the form, I get the impression it isn't mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is a "potential tenant" so I assume its prior to any agreement.

Why don't you ask the LL why they want it? I'm curious also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

beauf wrote: »
    This is a "potential tenant" so I assume its prior to any agreement.

Why don't you ask the LL why they want it? I'm curious also.

The only reason they need it is for the PRTB, and whilst you can say on the form 'unknown' it can cause a bit of hassle. I would be wary of any tenant who wouldn't give it tbh.

• Advertisement

Yes but why get all the pps nos for everyone who applied. You only need the ones from the people who end up as tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Yes but why get all the pps nos for everyone who applied. You only need the ones from the people who end up as tenants.

You don't know that he has. The OP says potential tenant but my reading is that the LL was going to offer them the place and therefore asked for this.

It may just be a badly worded opening post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I wouldn't say it's for everyone who viewed, OP says he has already given an employers reference so I would imagine the place is his subject to all paperwork being satisfactory.

Ye are probably right. Badly worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I don't see what the problem is with supplying a pps number, in fact it should be mandatory to exchange pps numbers - renter & LL.

There's a lot of money at stake both in terms of the property (potential damage and non payment) and tax reliefs for the tenant.

The bank issuing the mortgage insist on it, why shouldn't a landlord?

By exchanging pps numbers and registering them with the relevant authority (PRTB & Revenue), ahuge amount of tax avoidance could be eliminated as well as security for landlords enhanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

OU812 wrote: »
    There's a lot of money at stake both in terms of the property (potential damage and non payment) and tax reliefs for the tenant.

Tax reliefs for new residential lettings were withdrawn in 2010 for tenants. you can claim tax relief on rent paid only if you were renting in that particular property prior to December 2010.

The only valid reason the LL could have is for the PRTB form.

So therefore, it should be compulsary to collect & register.

OU812 wrote: »
    ...(potential damage and non payment) ... as well as security for landlords enhanced.

How does a PPS help you with that. What can you do with the PPS?

Will the Garda get involved? Unlikely. Will anyone (govt body) give you details based on a PPS. unlikely.

You could make a claim against social welfare for damages incurred. Would take a long time to get anything, but I'm aware of people who've successfully done so. The payee of the rent is legally responsible, in this case it's the government.

The added benefit is that rent allowance will be suspended for the offender, so it's unlikely they could repeat offend.

When people are "handed" something, their level of respect for it is way down the list Vs someone who earns it.

I like to hear more details of that. If its a Rent Supplement or RAS.

I don't see how the government is liable with Rent Supplement. Theres no contract between the LL and HSE or DSP. RAS is different and the RAS contracts seem to vary between councils. You have to negotiate the cost of repairs with the council.

So I don't know how the scenario would arise where you can claim against social welfare/dsp?

I know of several people who were successful in claiming for damage agains the saw, however it too in one case seven years and in another, just shy of ten.

It was held up that the person paying the rent (dsw) wa legally responsible for the actions of its customers (the tenants) as they had agreed to pay the rent, they had assumed responsibility.

Advertisement