Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rebuilding really that difficult?

Options
  • 17-06-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

I recently moved from cleros to a carto tank but i'm getting irritated by the hit and miss quality of cartos.
    I'm considering getting an AGA-T2, some mesh and kanthal wire. I watched a video of pbusardo building the device and it really doesn't look very difficult.
    I'm fairly bad with my hands though but am very particular when it comes to instructions.

I'm just wondering, is it as easy as it looks as long as I pay attention to the details or is is likely to cause me nightmares cause i'm bad with my hands?

Also, would you choose the AGA-T2 or RSST?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

RSST.

Mesh rebuilds are much easier now we have ribbon Kanthal. As long as you can wrap a coil fairly evenly around a wick, and you pulse the coil at low voltages until you see it heat evenly from the centre, it's not too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Thanks, just placed an order for the RSST :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Rebuilding can't be that hard. I'm very old with dodgy eyes and no coordination yet I manage to make a fair coil and wick without too much swearing :-D

p. s. Aga-T FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

It's really just a matter of trial and error. For some people this is too much messing, I and many others enjoy it. So its really a matter of attitude; if you tend to freak out if it doesn't work first time you might get very frustrated, if you're happy to play you might enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

your only requirement after you've got your wick and wire is opposable thumbs really, and as heli says a bit of patience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Depends though. Some are easier than others. I always found the Clockworks RDA very easy and forgiving, the Bulli reasonably easy, the A7 had a learning curve and fiddly as hell but good, the spheroid relatively easy but the gennies a real PITA......

Depends though. Some are easier than others. I always found the Clockworks RDA very easy and forgiving, the Bulli reasonably easy, the A7 had a learning curve and fiddly as hell but good, the spheroid relatively easy but the gennies a real PITA......

A7 was my least fave so far - I thought I'd got rid by selling it to my friend but I've rebuilt it every few weeks since selling it to him. STUPID MOVING COIL SLANTY ANGLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I think the A7 is the easiest of everything I've used to rebuild, definitely the quickest.

You know you can adjust the position of the posts? Just don't tighten the screws too much when you're trapping the wire and they should stay put. After that it's just a matter of leaving yourself plenty of wire to work with and positioning the coil diagonally between them. I'll be rebuilding mine later, I can put up a pic if you like.

I still haven't managed to get Digby's bulli working, shame really. If anyone has any good vids I could follow I'd appreciate it...

rickyjb wrote: »
    ...it's just a matter of leaving yourself plenty of wire to work with...

This is what I can't handle, I keep seeing all that waste. All those tenths of a cent of waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Snipping off a couple of cm worth at the end is worse than starting again because you've twisted the wire and coil into a mess...

[insert proverb about pennies and pounds here];)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

rickyjb wrote: »
    I think the A7 is the easiest of everything I've used to rebuild, definitely the quickest.

You know you can adjust the position of the posts? Just don't tighten the screws too much when you're trapping the wire and they should stay put. After that it's just a matter of leaving yourself plenty of wire to work with and positioning the coil diagonally between them. I'll be rebuilding mine later, I can put up a pic if you like.

I still haven't managed to get Digby's bulli working, shame really. If anyone has any good vids I could follow I'd appreciate it...
    I followed the A1 video on their site and it works pretty well for me in Digby's other Bulli :). It's not ideal, it seems to take a bit of time to break in and start wicking right or something, but when it's working right it's a stunning vape.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

grindle wrote: »
    This is what I can't handle, I keep seeing all that waste. All those tenths of a cent of waste.
    I used to be like that and try to use as little wire as possible, but when I snip off the little bit at the end it always flies off and dissapears. I'm terrified I'm going to end up inhaling a strip of kanthal one of these days, so I've gone back to leaving long legs to cut off, much easier to track after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Better to be looking at it than looking for it, thats what I always say, silently to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

With respect to SS mesh and coils I think I had a bit of a nightmare in the beginning with it and found it quite tough... but mainly because I was expecting it to be. Really the less attention I paid to getting a "pefect" oxidisation or whatever the quicker I got my wick and coil working.

What I do is: cut mesh to size. Roll mesh. oxidise top bit the coil will be on (heat with a gas torch n dip in water for a minute or two). insert in genny. wrap coil. fire up. if dodgy spot near the top twist wick/nudge coil until spots move down a bit.

Also any of the mesh included with devicxes has been questionalbe quality tbh and I've managed to burn holes through it while oxidising. Stter clear of this stuff is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Just finished setting up my RSST, took me a bit to get the hotspots out but thankfully no disasters. It's quite easy with a bit of patients.
    Delighted I went for it now, it's a cracking vape :D

Advertisement