Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirming a build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is this gaming build (€1056+ €230 for a mechanical keyboard and 24'' monitor) the best I can get for a budget of €1280~ ?

http://imgur.com/id1exsS

You could go haswell for a bit more but other than that it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

IMO if its for mainly gaming you'd be better off with a headset rather than speakers and mic. Really annoying to other users when the mic picks up the sounds from your speakers over Teamspeak ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MyNameIsBoxxy

I know that the haswell is a bit better but it doesn't overclock as well because it is 30% hotter and the 3570K overclocked to 4.5GHZ is a beast anyway :)

Thanks for the suggestion port. Now that you say that I'll probably get something like http://www.hardwareversand.de/Wired/52462/Tt+eSports+SHOCK+one+schwarz.article in a month or so. I was just wondering if the other parts are good? Like the GPU, fan, case etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I know that the haswell is a bit better but it doesn't overclock as well because it is 30% and the 3570K overclocked to 4.5GHZ is a beast anyway :)

Thanks for the suggestion port but I already have some hd beats that my brother owns that he lets me use. I was just wondering if the other parts are good? Like the GPU, fan, case etc?
    Good is a relative term - yes they are quality products. You have a powerful CPU that'll last you a long time, and a very nice GPU which will OC very well indeed.

Thanks that's all I wanted to know :D
    Besides the CPU I guess it's the best I could get for this budget ? Anyway ill get a second GPU or sli two new GPUs in a year or so.

The build should dispatch tomorrow, thanks!

• Advertisement

Thanks that's all I wanted to know :D
    Besides the CPU I guess it's the best I could get for this budget ? Anyway ill get a second GPU or sli two new GPUs in a year or so.

The build should dispatch tomorrow, thanks!
    It's an expensive mech keyboard preferring... You could spend ~340 euro and get SLI 660s and be sorted perf-wise for some time to come but I imagine you'll enjoy your keyboard either way :P And a 7870XT is a good card. The Dualx cooler will be great for overclocking.

Well bloodbath recommended it to me because its mechanical and very good and he says it is underpriced

Yeah I could get dual sli but arma iii at the moment doesn't allow sli so it only uses one of your GPUs and it will remain like that in alpha mode until Q3 of 2013 and mightn't even allow sli at the end o.O

The hd 7870 xt boost is still a beast and will get me 50+ FPS in my fav games according to the videos on youtube with similar builds to mine and the same GPU and CPU

The main question was that I'm getting the right things in my build beside the CPU so thanks

Ps: the keyboard is €60 and the monitor is €170

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-24EA53VQ-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B00BSOT2LA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370704631&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+24ea53vq

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00C67C79C/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1369985253&sr=1-2&keywords=coolermaster+cm+mechanical+keyboard

Oh... Thought you meant 230 on keyboard alone :P No, you've made great choices. I've bought that keyboard myself, ordered it last night. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to deliver!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I know that the haswell is a bit better but it doesn't overclock as well because it is 30% hotter and the 3570K overclocked to 4.5GHZ is a beast anyway :)

What does 30% hotter mean? You still have a better upgrade path with Haswell. We might see more options if AMD starts clawing back gamers with better multi-threading. Anyhow, it is much of a muchness, to be fair.

Have you considered homeplugs instead of wireless?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/

Gumbi wrote: »
    Oh... Thought you meant 230 on keyboard alone :P No, you've made great choices. I've bought that keyboard myself, ordered it last night. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to deliver!

Yeah I contacted amazon via their online chat thing and I ordered on the 8th and their online support told me it would take them 20 days or so for the keyboard to come in so I'd say it'll take you more or less the same :)

And the i5 4670K is 30% hotter temperature wise and 10% faster overall but if you were to get a cooler worth like €50+ then you'd have no problem. But, the i5 4670K struggles to get to 4.3 GHZ without being hot with a cooler worth less than €50 while the i5 3570K can get to 4.5GHZ with a cooler worth €30 like the Coolermaster hyper evo 212. I'm getting that fan and I plan to get 4.5GHZ. So for someone like me, I believe it's best to get the 3570K because ill be able to overclock it and make it faster and cooler than what Id be able to overclock the i5 4670k to

And I might get home plugs in a month or so because in a month or so my new 50mb/s Internet speed will be in and that should make my wifi signal super fast..if not, ill get homeplugs

Thanks for the suggestions guys my build will depart tomorrow and hopefully they'll change the windows 8 to windows 7 for me
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

You can't just say something is 30% hotter, it makes no sense unless you're talking about the CPU producing heat rather than temperatures, and I don't think it's true about it producing that much more heat. 4.3GHz with Haswell than Ivy Bridge though and power efficiency would be better too (although max power seems a bit higher). With performance much the same, I'd go for the newer tech myself on a new build. So long as you're happy, though, I suppose as they're all much of a muchness - you probably can squeeze a tiny bit more out of the 3570K as the 4670Ks seem to be mixed bag when it comes to overclocks.

The issue with wireless is not about speeds being too low in terms of mb/s, it's the latency and variability in the connection due to the nature of the technology. Getting a better connection doesn't solve the last step, from your router to your PC. I'm talking about for gaming, as it won't be a major factor for web browsing. However, it would be a huge step up if you were on wireless with a mobile network or one of those midband things from imagine to a fibre connection. The latency tends to be so low that even if you are on a wireless connection, it's so fast up to that point that overall, it's quite fast. Wireless is still quite vulnerable to interference from other signals, so if lots of people are using wireless around you, you'd want a wired connection. A proper wired connection is the best, but homeplugs are a halfway solution which are easy to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Make sure the ram is a kit of 2 x 4gb and not a single 8gb stick.

Apart from that the build looks great.

I understand going for ivy over haswell as well. The boards cost a fair bit more and the cooling requirements are higher for 4.5ghz overclocks. 4.2 on Hawell would probably perform around the same as 4.5 on ivy though.

Upgrade's are not an option. People list it as a reason to go for Haswell all the time. If you buy a 4670k you will not upgrade using that socket ever, period.

Sure there's plenty of people that have upgraded from 2500Ks to 3570Ks. I'm not saying it was worth their money, but they did nonetheless.

What I'm thinking of, is that AMD is getting the upper hand with multi-threading in games. We know that in the right scenario, that their 8-core CPUs can easily beat a 3570K and take on a 3770K. You can get an 8320 for the most of €100 cheaper than a 4670K. In time, AMD may finally be able to compete at this level again and force Intel into releasing a hexacore - or at least a Broadwell that doesn't have rubbish thermal material.

There's only literally a few games at this point to use multi-threading well enough; games do take a while to develop, but I imagine by Broadwell's release ~one and half year's away, we'll see a few more.

Of course, Intel could decide to change the socket again anyway, so you won't have any option. The other thing is that a 4770K will be easier to find and upgrade to than a 3770K, if the games do decide to move in the direction to be able to use HT.

I read from many reviews on the web and some forums on this that it is 30% hotter and I know it is 10% faster but as I said, with my decent cooling array, I won't be able to overclock the haswell as much as ill be able to overclock the ivy so I prefer the ivy only because of that.

Also, I accidentally bought W8 instead of W7 and I emailed them two days ago asking to change that, the order departs tomorrow or on the 20th so I hope they change the windows 8 to 7 on time. They cost the same and windows 7 home premium is in stock so I imagine they will do it for me. Besides that, my build is all perfect for me I suppose.

In the future (year or so) should I buy a second hd 7870 xt boost and crossfire it with my current one?

You could always try to trade with someone who wants a Win 8 and get them to order 7. You'd just need to download the right images for discs and you can email the keys.
    You can go ahead and install Windows 7 and use it on trial for 30 days without a key (or up to 120).

That motherboard isn't suitable for crossfire graphics cards, and I'm guessing offhand that 500W isn't really enough either, or it's cutting it tight if it is.

Edit: No, you'd want more than 200W for each of those cards and another 200W for the rest of an overclocked system. You'd be talking about 600-650W as well as another motherboard.

You'd be better off waiting about two years or so and just getting a new card.

What's the beef with windows 8? It's the better os.

If you don't like the metro ui or other parts of it you can restore windows 7 or previous versions functionality with "classic shell".

BloodBath wrote: »
    What's the beef with windows 8? It's the better os.

If you don't like the metro ui or other parts of it you can restore windows 7 or previous versions functionality with "classic shell".
    I've heard for streaming it's very nice. Windows 7 has a moderate perf. hit, 8 does it a lot more efficiently apparently.

I saw a few benches some month ago, when 8 was brand new, and it had very minor FPS advantages in games overall. I wonder has this changed?

It has other nice features like ultra fast boot which speeds up loading times a fair bit by bypassing most of the post operations on boot up. With a fast ssd you will get sub 5 second boot times.

I do file editing and modding and basic texture making for this game I made (it's a non profit game) and Windows 8 restricts what I do more and its file system is a lot more complex than the file system in Windows 7 according to my friend who helps me with the game and who had Windows 8, but now has Windows 7. The bottom line is that I don't like its looks and hate its file, image and task managing system and plus it doesn't give me extra gaming performance so I much prefer Windows 7.

my game: http://www.roblox.com/USSF-Forward-Operating-Base-place?id=15110664
    my friend: justin12h (who makes the physical parts of the tanks)
    Just in case you guys don't believe me :P
    Btw I don't play that kiddy website I just make games on it

Alright so my build is dispatching today (finally) and I'm just wondering how long it should take to arrive?

• Advertisement

3 working days normally. You might have it by friday if you are lucky.

Advertisement