Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport and visa

Options
  • 18-06-2013 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Long story but my passport is out of date this week and I have been injured at work
    so will go back to Ireland for a break from mid July to end of August. I have a 457 visa so I need to know what is the best way to go home and update my passport.

Should I fly home on emergency one and then apply for express passport in Dublin? But then how will I get my visa updated to the New passport? Can I do it in Australian embassy in Dublin?

Is there any other way I could solve this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Firstly, letting your passport expire when you were overseas was pretty stupid.

From here you have two options that I can see. Either;
    Go home on an emergency passport, get a new passport at home, and connect IMMI with the new details using this form (Form929).

Or, you can apply for a new passport from Australia via the consulate in Sydney, embassy in Canberra... etc. Update your details with immigration (using the form above) before you go home, and return with that one.
    The second option is probably the best option imo.

Also, i'd check if you are able to go home for that long. Possibly seek clearance from immi first. The 457 visa includes a condition that you don;t cease working for the sponsoring employer for more than 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Mellor wrote: »
    Firstly, letting your passport expire when you were overseas was pretty stupid.

From here you have two options that I can see. Either;
    Go home on an emergency passport, get a new passport at home, and connect IMMI with the new details using this form (Form929).

Or, you can apply for a new passport from Australia via the consulate in Sydney, embassy in Canberra... etc. Update your details with immigration (using the form above) before you go home, and return with that one.
    The second option is probably the best option imo.

Also, i'd check if you are able to go home for that long. Possibly seek clearance from immi first. The 457 visa includes a condition that you don;t cease working for the sponsoring employer for more than 28 days.

Thanks for the info, I think emergency is the way to go and fax the change form afterwards, I wasn't expecting to go so soon but it's an emergency and also immigration have approved the break, the 8 week's it would take for a new passport from Dublin to Oz is too long.

What is needed to apply for an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for the info, I think emergency is the way to go and fax the change form afterwards, I wasn't expecting to go so soon but it's an emergency and also immigration have approved the break, the 8 week's it would take for a new passport from Dublin to Oz is too long.

What is needed to apply for an emergency?
    All good so if they've approve it. Good idea to get the clearance just in case.
    For an emergency passport you can contact the consulate (in your are in NSW) or the embassy.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=89361
    EMERGENCY PASSPORTS

Under the terms of the Passport Act 2008, a Passport Officer may issue an Emergency Passport where a person is not in possession of their passport, provides evidence that a passport is required for immediate travel and where there are circumstances of urgency in relation to the application.

A decision whether or not the circumstances are such as to warrant the issue of an Emergency Passport will be taken by the Passport Officer in consultation with the Vice Consul/Consul General/Passport Office in Dublin as required.

A standard application form and the requisite documentation will also be required for an Emergency Passport.

Where there is insufficient time/documentation to issue an Emergency Passport an Emergency Travel Certificate may be issued to facilitate a one-way trip back to Ireland in urgent circumstances.

An Emergency Passport has limited validity and is not a biometric travel document. Some countries (eg US, Indonesia, South Africa) that ordinarily accept Irish passports without a visa, require a visa on an Emergency Passport. If you are issued with an Emergency Passport it is up to you to ensure that it is valid for travel to your country of destination, to organise any visas that may be required and to ensure that it will be accepted by your airline.

Advertisement