Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college.

Options
  • 18-06-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the right section, I guess it is a kind of non traditional query.

I am hoping to go back to college this Sept. and apply for BTEA while doing so. I am confused as to whether I have to apply for the grant aswell or do I just apply for BTEA?

If I do get BTEA, what other costs will be incurred? Will I have to pay registration fees or any other, I'm not sure how the whole thing works.

I would really love some advice, am currently unemployed, never got the chance to go to college, and I am only 20, so would like to do what I have wanted now.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

I don't know much about the BTEA but there are registration fees which everyone has to pay, I think they're sitting at 2250 euro a year at the moment, if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever financial aid you can get is dependent on your circumstances so hopefully someone on here can help you with that, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

BTEA would be a weekly payment that you would receive during the term.
    If you have never attended uni before your fees would be paid BUT there is still a Student Contribution Charge of €2,250 but you can apply to SUSI to get a grant to cover this (provided you are eligible).
    There is also a Student Levy, which can vary from place to place and can range from €77 to €250 depending on your uni.

Also, as you are 20, there may be some age limits applied on the BTEA. You can read some of it here.
    If you weren't eligible for BTEA, you may be eligible for the maintenance grant from SUSI. *note* You can not get BTEA and the Maintenance Grant at the same time, but you can get BTEA and a FEES grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Is it only if you've never been to college and availed of a grant that one would be entitled?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Is it only if you've never been to college and availed of a grant that one would be entitled?

Entitled to which?

Maldesu wrote: »
    Entitled to which?

a grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

I think if you've been through college, whether or not you availed of a grant, you won't be entitled to one if you decide to go back

If you already have a degree, I'm fairly certain that you cannot get a grant. If, however, you attended and never qualified you may be eligible as a second chance student, which means you have to be over 23 and out of education for 5 years or over.

Ah right. Thanks guys. I have a degree already so there goes that one. Dont mind though, not a whole lot of money in the pot so better they try to give to the first timers :) Not their fault I changed my mind about wanting my degree and did a comlete career flip lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

You cannot get both the BTEA and the Maintenance Grant. But you can apply for the Student Contribution Fee Grant and also the BTEA.

Advertisement