Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Knocks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Been trying to get into NFL for years but found it impossible with no team.

Few mates are quite into it and about 6 months ago decided the Texans were my team. Hard knocks such a bonus to get to have an idea who everyone is.

Edit - They decided, not me. I refused to go with any of the big teams, It was agreed I needed some disappointment, but a team that could maybe go 8-8ish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Welcome, but your team sucks

#titanup :pac:

Welcome, but your team sucks

#titanup :pac:

You must be the same as me, picking a not great team starting off... ziiiing :D

Even my limited knowledge managed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hard knocks such a bonus to get to have an idea who everyone is.

So you know Brian Cushing's a d$%k already then?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

enjoyed the series so much

seriously rooting for texans this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

When is the 5th ep on gamepass?

So you know Brian Cushing's a d$%k already then?

Amen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Best season in a long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Really, really like Bill O'Brien as a coach. Comes across great and always in control, commands the respect of the players too. Possible future Superbowl winning coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

SantryRed wrote: »
    Really, really like Bill O'Brien as a coach. Comes across great and always in control, commands the respect of the players too. Possible future Superbowl winning coach?

not with texans, they should wreak havok on offences this year, but I would be confident of picking off any of their qbs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

not with texans, they should wreak havok on offences this year, but I would be confident of picking off any of their qbs

I'd doubt it with the Texans too. But I think he will.

Loved this season btw. By far the best in years.

I think O'Brien is universally loved, he came across very well and respected.
    Ryan Mallet... Not sooo much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SantryRed wrote: »

Future Patriots head coach, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Def best season of Hard Knocks. Hard not to root for BO'B and his team after it. I really like how he gets the "We're gonna release you" over with before he and the player have sat down, then spends a minute softing the crushing chest punch with motivation so the player leaves with dignity. He made the series for me

Ryan Mallett named starter. What do you think of how O'Brien has handled that? I recall him saying that Hoyer wouldn't be on a short leash on Hard Knocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i thought he said he would be on a short leash.. maybe time for a rewatch

i thought he said he would be on a short leash.. maybe time for a rewatch

O'Brien:
    “What I would expect from you, Ryan, is to be a professional about it, to prepare like a starter, to be ready to play,” O’Brien said. “If things aren’t going very well…Look, we’re not on a short leash here, but we’re not going to sit there and let it go eight games of not being very good. You need to be really ready to go.”

I think he'd have been better served giving Hoyer another couple of weeks. There's a huge difference between say, not letting it go 8 games and then changing it after 1 week and lets be honest, Mallett is hardly that much of an upgrade if at all. These are the small things that distinguish great managers from the rest IMO. Will the Texans who saw the meeting on Hard Knocks be thinking "well he told me X/Y/Z, but he changed his mind very quickly on the QB situation and somewhat went back on what he said." Quite possibly. That said, if Mallet goes something like 7-3 over the next 10 games it'll be called a stroke of genius and even if goes .500 it's justifiable.

It'll be an interesting one to follow.

So the Texans finish the season 9-7 and win the AFC South.

Quite the turnaround for O'Brien and the Texans, though I can't help but feel he got a massive stroke of luck with Mallett's disciplinary issues. He really had no choice but to cut him at that point, but even up until then he still didn't seem to have much of a grasp on his QB situation and I think it's fair to assume (based on the first quarter of the season) that he would probably have kept chopping and changing if he'd had Mallett on the roster.

Paully D wrote: »
    So the Texans finish the season 9-7 and win the AFC South.

Quite the turnaround for O'Brien and the Texans, though I can't help but feel he got a massive stroke of luck with Mallett's disciplinary issues. He really had no choice but to cut him at that point, but even up until then he still didn't seem to have much of a grasp on his QB situation and I think it's fair to assume (based on the first quarter of the season) that he would probably have kept chopping and changing if he'd had Mallett on the roster.

With the exception of Cushing (and maybe Watt's playing up to the cameras), they came across in Hard Knocks as a team that you could root for. O'Brien seemed like a nice bloke anyway. Glad they made it to the playoffs.

Probably a bit earlier than usual to start the speculation for next season but the Saints are being mentioned

http://deadspin.com/the-saints-are-reportedly-preparing-to-be-the-subject-o-1761712539

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Shefter reckons this could be announced today.

Rumours are either Saints or Rams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

LA Rams is this seasons hard knocks team. Obvious choice to be fair, was hoping for the bears but there you go.

gufc21 wrote: »
    LA Rams is this seasons hard knocks team. Obvious choice to be fair, was hoping for the bears but there you go.

The team with the least interesting coach in the league. Well that's the way he comes across anyway. Maybe this will show that he has some sort of personality.

Jeff Fisher on the quest once again for his Super Bowl - a 7-9 season.

Paully D wrote: »
    Jeff Fisher on the quest once again for his Super Bowl - a 7-9 season.

This time with more cocaine and hookers

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I thought raiders would be a better choice - or jags - but obvious choice picking the rams with moving to LA and that - cant wait to watch the qb battle for averageness :D

Well it should be an interesting watch this year anyway after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

If Rams choice is Wentz it will be like the setup for a football based sitcom.

Country kid playing small time football in North Dakota finds himself in the bright lights as the great hope of of LA's new team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

He was only on screen for about 5 seconds but Jeff Fisher was already sending me to sleep.

...that opening music though...

Was ep 1 last night?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Was ep 1 last night?

Yep, wasn't up on gamepass yet when I looked earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Limpar

Yep, wasn't up on gamepass yet when I looked earlier today

This is my first year having GamePass at this stage - is Hard Knocks usually up there pretty soon after it's aired on HBO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 RazorMcBlade

I don't think it goes up until it airs on Sky Sports here. I could be wrong, but I haven't been able to get it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think it goes up until it airs on Sky Sports here. I could be wrong, but I haven't been able to get it either.

That's what I thought as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Last year I'm sure it was on the NFL Network on Gamepass the morning after HBO showed it. Dont' think it is this year, so really hoping it goes onto the Archives on Gamepass.a

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

When is it set to air on Sky Sports does anyone know? I can't find info on it anywhere?

Just read that Hard Knocks goes up on Game Pass on Friday's. So it will always be Friday's for the 5 episodes.

• Advertisement

First episode was a little disappointing I thought.

First episode was a little disappointing I thought.

I think that's because Jeff Fisher is so dang boring, we had such a dynamic coach to watch last year, that Fisher just doesn't live up to previous seasons. I am just looking forward to seeing the progression of Goff.

I think that's because Jeff Fisher is so dang boring, we had such a dynamic coach to watch last year, that Fisher just doesn't live up to previous seasons. I am just looking forward to seeing the progression of Goff.

Yah interesting to see Goff...

We were spoiled with O'Brien last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

I had to laugh when Fisher said no team of his was going to have a 7-9, an 8-8 or a 9-7 season with a straight face

Ah tbf the format is just tired now. Its what? Season 11,12. It's just new actors telling the same story 11 or 12 times. In saying that i haven't seen this series ye

Ah tbf the format is just tired now. Its what? Season 11,12. It's just new actors telling the same story 11 or 12 times. In saying that i haven't seen this series ye

Well there was some comedy in episode one with Jeff Fisher saying they won't be going 7-9 or 8-8. That made me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Loughc wrote: »
    When is it set to air on Sky Sports does anyone know? I can't find info on it anywhere?

Second this. Had a look through the listings and couldn't see it anywhere in the next week.

I think they should bed in with a playoff bound team towards the end of the season and run it over 4 weeks of that but with a decent delay or a run of a playoff bound team.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Second this. Had a look through the listings and couldn't see it anywhere in the next week.

I think its tiward the end of August, not before week 3 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OK so the sun rising thing was a bit of a lark but....... even still........ Goff did not come out of it looking all that bright.

Fisher is some tool though jeez.

U can he has been around ages though, he made the cutting of Foles and the horny rookie WR look like a piece of cake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement