Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested in Australia

Options
  • 18-06-2013 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I will be getting legal advice but just want to know where I stand right now.

I've recently been charged with a minor assault here in Australia, is it best I face the charge and then head home? If i go back to Ireland without appearing in court, is there a possibility this could follow be back to Ireland?

Any help is appreciated, very worried as have never been in any trouble here or in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod I think the first thing you should do is get legal advice, asking strangers on the internet what might happen is not the wisest decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

Are you out on bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

hussey wrote: »
    Mod I think the first thing you should do is get legal advice, asking strangers on the internet what might happen is not the wisest decision.

Well, if he didn't post he wouldn't have got this sage advice from you.

Bourke - Im reckon I can give you some solid advice. Just need more details. Was there drink involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Bourke - Im reckon I can give you some solid advice. Just need more details. Was there drink involved?

Me reckon the Australian Police forces are a wee bit different to the An Garda Siochana, having a wee lash off the old sauce is not really a valid defence or a reasonable excuse sorry, and having a second cousin who went to school with a former Garda does not work either, I know what use is that dopey second cousin now... :rolleyes:

OP: I've got no advice for you other than to face it now rather than have it hang over you for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Depends on what you are looking at,.,, fine, slap on wrist. I don't know. Is it going to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I seriously doubt an Aussie counrt would bother with you once your gone, i remember reading about statute barred after 5-7 years. Meaning charges are gone then.
    You may face a problem if you intend to return tho before the 5-7 years, ask a solicitor and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrbourke555

Yes, there was drink involved, assault is related to a scuffle with 2 door staff.

Police have said, I am likely to be charged in 2 weeks and this will go the court, if i am charged and subsequently released on bail, can I still leave the country? Not being able to come back isn't a issue, was thinking of leaving soon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

If you intend on leaving just go and don't come back. Who's to say you have gone home to Ireland? You could be anywhere in the world and the Aussie cops probably won't find you mate.

If you intend on coming back later, well then you have an issue.

If there's any chance of jail time or a big fine....best to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Stand up and take responsibility, apologize, be humble and contrite and do whatever necessary. You never know what happens in life and you may want to comeback at some stage. Even if not I hope this serves as some warning to Irish People lose the attitude and grow up and if you cant hold your drink and behave well then don't bother drinking in the first place.
    You represent us all when abroad and give us all a bad name. Some people need to work and this sort of carry on ruins it for the people who are trying to get on in life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

If you intend on leaving just go and don't come back. Who's to say you have gone home to Ireland? You could be anywhere in the world and the Aussie cops probably won't find you mate.
    You mean other than all the Aussie cops who post here on boards I am assuming?
    If you intend on coming back later, well then you have an issue.

If there's any chance of jail time or a big fine....best to go now.
    This is not the most excellent advice I've seen posted here on boards.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement

skippy2 wrote: »
    Stand up and take responsibility, apologize, be humble and contrite and do whatever necessary. You never know what happens in life and you may want to comeback at some stage. Even if not I hope this serves as some warning to Irish People lose the attitude and grow up and if you cant hold your drink and behave well then don't bother drinking in the first place.
    You represent us all when abroad and give us all a bad name. Some people need to work and this sort of carry on ruins it for the people who are trying to get on in life
    This is much better advice.

Again...each to their own...in my opinion this is much better advice.

I seriously doubt an Aussie counrt would bother with you once your gone, i remember reading about statute barred after 5-7 years. Meaning charges are gone then.
    You may face a problem if you intend to return tho before the 5-7 years, ask a solicitor and see what they say.
    These things can definitely come back to bite you.

Yes, there was drink involved, assault is related to a scuffle with 2 door staff.

Police have said, I am likely to be charged in 2 weeks and this will go the court, if i am charged and subsequently released on bail, can I still leave the country? Not being able to come back isn't a issue, was thinking of leaving soon anyway
    1. Shave, shower and some decent clothes and go to court. Say what you need to say.
    2. Don't flee the country before it's resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Go to court, be respectful and remorseful. Immigrants as a percentage commit a fraction of the crime when compared to Australians. Although you may be leaving anyway it best not to leave with unfinished business. You'd be kicking yourself if you met some Aussie you want to marry in the future and this become a hinderance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Or you could do a Ned Kelly on it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

seachto7 wrote: »
    Or you could do a Ned Kelly on it....
    Don't encourage, they might make him an honorary citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

catbear wrote: »
    Don't encourage, they might make him an honorary citizen!

Or call him a Knacker and mock him........... :pac:

awaits threats of legal recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

If its petty assault then why not go to court, you'd be looking at a fine or community service i dont see prison being enforced in this case. Just go presentable (as other people have said) and for the love of god dont make a show of us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Get a lawyer.

Advertisement