Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane - good food & Drink

Options
  • 18-06-2013 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

I am off to Brisbane for the Lions match this weekend and staying in Spring Hill.

Any recommendations for good places to eat & drink?
    On Thursday I reckon we'll head to somewhere moderately priced, but ideally good food (not pub grub) Shared food is always welcome, but not really any restrictions.

Friday hoping to go somewhere a more more fancy (ideally up to $30-$40 a main) and have some decent wine with the meal too.

Then afterwards hit a lively pub possibly with (live) music, but not a 'no shirt no service rules'

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

There is a pretty good Tepanyaki in Spring hill, Little Tokyo
    For some casual beers and pretty passable pub food, the Pig and Whistle on Eagle st. is pretty acceptable. It'll be a zoo because of the Lions game though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I don't know if it's your thing but for Thursday there's a great casual Japanese place in Fortitude Valley ("the valley") called Harajuku Gyoza - http://www.harajukugyoza.com/

I usually start there if I'm having a bit of a session in the city later.

For a pub The Elephant and Wheelbarrow (230 Wickham St, Fortitude Valley) is nearby. I wouldn't say it's a great place but any time I've been there it's been lively and there's been a band playing. Could be somewhere to pop into for a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anyone know if there are any rugby events on that day of the test? Heading up as well and want to try and get involved with the atmosphere and build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

jank wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are any rugby events on that day of the test? Heading up as well and want to try and get involved with the atmosphere and build up.

I have been trying to quiz mates in Brissie about possible events but drawing a blank so far. I think it'll be a case of finding a good pub and soaking up atmosphere for Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Youredeadright

You'd have to cross the river but there's plenty of good restaurants in South Bank - Piaf is always reliable and I think it has a fair wine list but there are loads to choose from. Archive in West End is nearby (5 minutes in a taxi or a 20 minute walk) and that's always got a good atmosphere on Friday nights or a bit further up the same street is Lock N Load which is smaller but usually has better bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

try book a table in georges of paragon on eagle st, (07) 3211 8111 , menu is 1/2 price if your seated between 5;30-6;30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

The best bar in brisbane is Alfred and Constance in the Valley.
    If you want a great night, go there.

For food Himilayan Cafe do amazing food in new farm/the valley and reasnobly prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Alfred and Constance is good for drinks and a night out , never had food as there booking policys are awkward .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Good call on Alfred & Constance. The food is spot on, I've eaten there a few times. It's not particularly cheap, and its a very meaty menu, but good food and usually pretty quick and friendly service.

As for the bar itself, It's a bit of hipster magnet, I've seen a few oldies in there, but for the most part a very young crowd....

Advertisement