Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quadricycles on an AM license

• 18-06-2013 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys

Daughter has just gotten a new job and wants a motorbike - not going to be happening! I read about the new category that allows new drivers to drive a quadricycle on a motorbike license (and therefore unaccompanied?). I checked the RSA website and we have it too but can't find any information about these quadricycles in Ireland, any difficulties with insurance or how you might go about getting one. Also not clear whether you can do a test in one or whether that would have to be on a motorbike. Anybody know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You can drive one of them on a motorcycle license these days, eh? I suppose that's sensible enough - imagine the accompanying qualified driver the other way. Do note that such a thing has to be road legal - lights, indicators, etc. and I have heard tell of the occasional "enthusiastic" Garda who will even insist on a beacon light.

Note that most of these things are designed and sold as off-road contraptions, and thus you may need to go through the whole "EU certificate of roadworthiness" rigmarole. Not every quad can get one. It all gets a bit complicated - hint: "differential".

I believe FBD are the only insurance company in Ireland who will do quads. I believe they are mainly used by farmers, scooting around and between fields. I'd be surprised if the RSA would allow you to do an actual test with one, mind you. But I've been amazed before. ;)

Finally, be aware that quads are a dangerous little bassid of a thing out on the public road. They'll turn over at the drop of a hat. Why not just let her get a motorbike, with proper and comprehensive training??

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

No, no, these aren't quads in the usual sense. I absolutely agree that a bike would be safer than a quad. These are like microcars. Heres an example of a french one: http://www.aixam.com/en/licence-free-car-coupe They can drive them without a license in France but under the new AM category here.

No, no, these aren't quads in the usual sense. I absolutely agree that a bike would be safer than a quad. These are like microcars. Heres an example of a french one: http://www.aixam.com/en/licence-free-car-coupe They can drive them without a license in France but under the new AM category here.

Every day I am amazed anew. 'Tis a costly ride-on lawnmower. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

Indeed they are! On the other hand: speed limited, enclosed with some protection between them and the road etc etc. Just frustrated because I can't find any info but then I suppose it only changed in January. Thanks so much for your reply, though - will try hard not to laugh when I hear it running!!

Indeed they are! On the other hand: speed limited, enclosed with some protection between them and the road etc etc. Just frustrated because I can't find any info but then I suppose it only changed in January. Thanks so much for your reply, though - will try hard not to laugh when I hear it running!!

Well, if it's any use to you the EU vehicle category is L6e, and it is explained somewhat here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorised_quadricycle#Light_quadricycles_.28L6e.29

Personally I consider 6BHP and 30MPH highly dangerous in itself in modern traffic. Mind how you go, and good luck. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, if it's any use to you the EU vehicle category is L6e, and it is explained somewhat here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorised_quadricycle#Light_quadricycles_.28L6e.29

Personally I consider 6BHP and 30MPH highly dangerous in itself in modern traffic. Mind how you go, and good luck. ;)

They can't even do the speed limit as they are restricted to 45km/h:eek: so it could be an automatic fail for not making progress. But even if they could be used for a test I have to agree 45km/h on our roads is crazy and I'd hazard a guess it'd take a good while to get to that speed. She'd be better off on a bicycle than one of these, the battery assisted bikes don't need a licence or insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys

Daughter has just gotten a new job and wants a motorbike - not going to be happening! I read about the new category that allows new drivers to drive a quadricycle on a motorbike license (and therefore unaccompanied?). I checked the RSA website and we have it too but can't find any information about these quadricycles in Ireland, any difficulties with insurance or how you might go about getting one. Also not clear whether you can do a test in one or whether that would have to be on a motorbike. Anybody know anything about it?

A motorcycle would be much saver on our roads than one of these. They don't offer any crash protection other than a little bit of sheet steel and at least on a bike you can squeeze through a tight spot if needed, these will just crumble around anyone in them as they don't have enough power to get out of trouble and are too big to avoid it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    ...they don't have enough power to get out of trouble and are too big to avoid it.

In a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Hi guys

I'd agree wrt motorbike. Ireland happens to be one of the most dangerous for motorbikes in Europe by a factor of 2 or 3 compared to most other European countries.
    Found this Irish site as have seen a few of these electric "thingies" about in Dublin
    The Reva - says it is the lowest insurance classification, but no mention of lower learner restrictions. I'm not sure they even get a category in Irish rules. I'd be a little suspect re the safety tests mentioned, as India would be very far from top of the league in that aspect.

You could consider the third option of a proper car and some accompanying lessons or companionship to and from work, or a coworker car pool.
    Know some people who did that.
    You do still see many unaccompanied L-plates still, unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

OP: I know nothing about these, do not intend to get one, but have followed this thread since you started it. If you - or anyone else - gets one of these contraptions, I'd be very interested if you could report back what it's actually like. Or even if you figure out what the licencing/insurance situation is like.

Now, for a general rant, based on nothing but far too many google searches and reading up on what I first hoped were an out-of-date joke: These things look like death traps! Come back Nissan Micras, all is forgiven.

Slow ≠ safe

The bad habits picked up in one of these things could haunt any learner - just looking at them, I'd say the safety in them is purely illusory. At the very least, you'd have to factor in the 'road rage' from other road users as - depending on model - some can barely reach 45 kmph/30mph.

You remember those invalid carriages from bygone days that led on to Reliant Robins and the like? Lethal, dangerous things that were designed to get around licencing and taxing restrictions and were mainly built to provide employment rather than actually serve the need of the occupant? I would strongly suspect these things are of a similar vein, just with a modern French twist.

I also note from Google that one man's microcar is very different to another, with the 'nicer' ones being more like 2-seater Micras and certainly exceeding their class requirements (i.e. needing a licence, able to do normal speed... in essence something I like to call 'a car').

From my perspective, a 125cc motorcycle makes more sense - a little bit of a cool factor, responsive enough to avoid trouble but not enough power to reach high speed, flip wheelies or any of the other things inexperienced riders are wont to do. No ability to carry passengers or give lifts to mates, very little likelihood of a learner wanting to go out in the pouring rain or doing any of the other things learners really shouldn't be doing.

I never felt the need to drive a car unaccompanied as a learner (passed my car test last year - been riding bikes ten years), but if it came down to it, a small car unaccompanied would be preferable to what I will now hysterically call these namby-pamby electric death traps.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

psicic wrote: »
    ..., a small car unaccompanied would be preferable to what I will now hysterically call these namby-pamby electric death traps.

Rant over.
    Despite the law, and certainly as it has been applied till now, I'd find it hard to disagree with this.:)

But then laws dont necessarily imply safety, and if it was my daughter...well in my experience, she could get away with anything:D

Advertisement