Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking as Sport Category

Options
  • 18-06-2013 9:08am
    Site Banned Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm totally new to this forum, so forgive me if this topic has appeared before. I haven't been able to find it in any case.

I'm just wondering why Walking isn't categorised as a sport under Sports in Boards.ie.

Is it a forum policy or merely an oversight. I know it is technically an 'Outdoor Pursuit', but even Frisbee managed to get its own category.

I would presume there are more people, either competitively or otherwise, walking in Ireland than there are partaking in any other sport.

Just wondering.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It's probably due to lack of demand. If you'd like a Walking forum, ask for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Not quite sure what's happened Donny5's link there - the forum to request a new forum is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Read the Charter of it:
    "Any user with over 50 posts *and* 3 months time as a member can suggest a forum" - so you won't be able to request a forum for a couple of months and you'll have to have contributed on the site first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Donny5's link works just fine (it is an https: link maybe that was what caused your problem?) Anyway, this wouldn't be the only anomaly in the structure of forums in boards, there are many more examples to be found as the whole thing seems to have grown organically over the years. Various requests to reorganize and rationalise things have been met by a less than enthusiastic reception by the powers that be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Orion wrote: »
    Not quite sure what's happened Donny5's link there - the forum to request a new forum is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Read the Charter of it:
    "Any user with over 50 posts *and* 3 months time as a member can suggest a forum" - so you won't be able to request a forum for a couple of months and you'll have to have contributed on the site first too.

Orion, are you by any chance using Firefox 23+?

Nope - it's a work thing. There's some filtering on secure links in here. Didn't think to check your link on the phone which it does work on.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Donny5's link works just fine (it is an https: link maybe that was what caused your problem?) Anyway, this wouldn't be the only anomaly in the structure of forums in boards, there are many more examples to be found as the whole thing seems to have grown organically over the years. Various requests to reorganize and rationalise things have been met by a less than enthusiastic reception by the powers that be.

There are processes in place now though. If a forum request meets the required support level it will be considered. Mind you the last one approved was in April. Admins are volunteers too and Khannie had been looking after the forum before he left. Maybe things have just fallen through the cracks.

I presume competitive walking, as in the Olympic sport, is covered in the athletics forum - that covers all track and field, so sports like hurdling, steeplechase, cross country etc. do not have separate forums.

Mountain running is covered on that forum, a fair few mountain runners post there regularly and I see some here.

I presume this forum is more concerned with the pastimes of walking, hiking, trekking, camping and then of course climbing of all types, mountaineering, and that can be competitive.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Since the likes of kayaking, surfing, sailing etc all have their own forum this forum should just be re-branded as Hiking, Orienteering & Mountaineering since that's pretty much what most if not all of the threads are on.

It would make sense to me to make the above forums into an Outdoor Pursuits sub category under sports.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 KMDActive

Well, yes. I'd have been referring more to a category aimed at the members of walking clubs around Ireland, of which there are quite a few, who take on walks on forest paths, roadways and on mountains rather than walking in the Athletics sense.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Since the likes of kayaking, surfing, sailing etc all have their own forum this forum should just be re-branded as Hiking, Orienteering & Mountaineering since that's pretty much what most if not all of the threads are on.

Camping and...think the word might be "bushcraft" should be included I guess, they seem popular enough topics here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mickeroo wrote: »

It would make sense to me to make the above forums into an Outdoor Pursuits sub category under sports.

Does that not just pigeon hole the forum then? As the above poster said, camping and bushcraft are popular here too. Outdoor pursuits is a good all encompassing title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I used to work as an 'outdoor pursuits instructor' and we covered amongst other activities: canoeing river & sea, wind surfing, surfing, climbing, hill walking, orienteering, gorge walking, camping, caving etc. It's a very vague term and means different things to different people.

Advertisement