Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brumbies vs Lions, Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think SOB off is a good thing. He'll be on the bench for Saturday. Youngs is having a shocker I have to say. Murray on the bench for Saturday also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Only following it on text updates but jesus, it sounds like Best is having a total wipeout and also that O'Brien has given away a few penalties.

But what did we expect with a pretty poor front five and a backline containing four guys who weren't good enough to make the initial squad, a guy playing his second pro game at 10 and a full-back who's had 20 minutes so far this tour?

Feel sorry for the likes of Tipuric, Youngs and O'Brien who might have been in with a shot at a test spot but will be tainted by this fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not sure if that's a good or bad sign for SOB..
    Superbus wrote: »
    SOB off a good thing?

Defo a very good thing. Unless Lydiate has an amazing 20 min. SOB was the best player on the pitch so they're hauling him to shore with an eye on the bench for next week (atleast).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Jesus,Tipuric looked weak there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Effin hell. This game is there to be one if they just keep it in the pack now and keep their set piece on top.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Superbus wrote: »
    SOB off a good thing?

Definitely. Tipuric playing a full eighty. Lydiate will need to have a herculean 20 mins to oust him from the test squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Now that's a scrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Never been so glad to see SOB leave te field. What exactly are the crowd booing there :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

bilston wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up there Pete. He should be but I have a feeling that today's bench might be the test bench.

Tend to agree, think he will go with Lydiate at 20. NO idea why, but it feels that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Don't get your hopes up there Pete. He should be but I have a feeling that today's bench might be the test bench.

Hmmm, maybe. I have faith that Gatty won't completely ignore his excellent form. I mean, he basically kept the Lions in it for the first half with his breakdown work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

good call ref,, playing the ball off the feet

Hogg should play some of those competitions where if you hit the crossbar you get a car kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Still no Zeebs

Hibbard loses first throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

crisco10 wrote: »
    Tend to agree, think he will go with Lydiate at 20. NO idea why, but it feels that way.

If Croft starts and Lydiate is on the bench there is no cover for 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Hibbard!!!

good Scrum

Murray on.

This game is AWFUL.

Thank god, a real 10 comes on!

• Advertisement

What the actual ****?

What a rubbish pass

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Hon Murray

WTF. Wade tries to trap the ball with his foot rather than dive on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

If Croft starts and Lydiate is on the bench there is no cover for 8

I know. That's why it would be mad to do it, but Gatland loves Lydiate!

Only following it on text updates but jesus, it sounds like Best is having a total wipeout and also that O'Brien has given away a few penalties.

But what did we expect with a pretty poor front five and a backline containing four guys who weren't good enough to make the initial squad, a guy playing his second pro game at 10 and a full-back who's had 20 minutes so far this tour?

Feel sorry for the likes of Tipuric, Youngs and O'Brien who might have been in with a shot at a test spot but will be tainted by this fiasco.

SOB been MoTM tbh. He gave away one penalty, but it was for not releasing the ball, yet the replay showed he clearly released it and the brumbies player just couldn't claim it in the mess of a breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

SOB should be a starter on merit. But his versatility means he is the perfect bench player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hmmm, maybe. I have faith that Gatty won't completely ignore his excellent form. I mean, he basically kept the Lions in it for the first half with his breakdown work.

Hope you're right. It should really be a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

trouttrout wrote: »
    SOB on the bench anyway, well done Jamie Heaslip on upsetting the odds and the idiot pundits to claim the 8 test jersey

the fact you're basing this on a poor Faletau performance must make you question were the pundits correct all along about heaslip

Line out is not wat it should be

The difference a pack makes

• Advertisement

Murray is well able to pick up the tempo too. I think this idea that he's too similar to Phillips to bench may be overstated

Lions making a comeback here. The difference between Murray and Youngs is visible already. May be due to other subs as well though.

Wow, the other 7 players on the pitch finally getting to see the ball. G'man Farrell! I'd say it's nearly the first time the Sky cameramen have had to shift to a wider angle on Lions attacking ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Lions 9-14 Brumbies 63 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Cant see Lydiate featuring too prominently in a game the Lions are chasing, barring his clearout work.

bleg wrote: »
    Lions making a comeback here. The difference between Murray and Youngs is visible already. May be due to other subs as well though.

In fariness Murray is getting cleaner ball because of the work Cole, Lydiate and Hibbard are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Murray always seems a bit underrated but he seems the fastest scrum half to me. :)

trouttrout wrote: »
    Murray is well able to pick up the tempo too. I think this idea that he's too similar to Phillips to bench may be overstated

It's not.

Youngs is an ideal bench candidate, see Paul Marshall for further evidence.

The only issue is if you lose your 9 due to injury early, but Youngs off the bench on 60mins is a totally different prospect to Murray.

Their strengths are polar opposites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Iang87 wrote: »
    the fact you're basing this on a poor Faletau performance must make you question were the pundits correct all along about heaslip
    No.

They were wrong, this just confirms it.

• Advertisement

Absolutely no help for Kearney there. Come on ta fcuk.

Going in the tour I thought Youngs would be the starting 9. Now I don't think he should be on the bench even. His delivery was poison in this game, something that Murray has improved no end upon coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

WTF was Gray doing there?Just lying on top of Kearney!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hope you're right. It should really be a no brainer.

It would be beyond insane if Lydiate benched. Even if SOB wasn't in flying form you have pretty much no cover for the backrow with Lydiate on the bench and Croft/Warburton/Heaslip, Warburton can cover 6 at a stretch but you have
    absolutely no cover for 7 if Warbs gets injured or 8 if Heaslip gets injured. You'd be handcuffing yourself massively

Brumbies have won 3 penalties because of Gray's inability to clear a ruck

That was clear hands in the ruck. Ball had been placed, ruck formed, all fine and then Brumbies try to rip it. Gray didn't bother his arse to clear out and referee got it badly wrong.

• Advertisement

LOL, Gray should've played basketball...

.ak wrote: »
    Going in the tour I thought Youngs would be the starting 9. Now I don't think he should be on the bench even. His delivery was poison in this game, something that Murray has improved no end upon coming on.

You can't even start to compare the two performances tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

some reflexes!! like DATA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

rrpc wrote: »
    No.

They were wrong, this just confirms it.

No they were right, however Heaslip has hit form now at the right time playing with a balanced back row around him that allows him to play his preferred style

Zebo the only sub not used so far.

I would speculate that Gatland doesn't want to risk an injury to him...

• Advertisement
Advertisement