Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - All the hidden costs of purchasing

Options
  • 18-06-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a house at the moment and just want to be sure I am not being ripped off with all the additional costs that keep arising. So far we put our €5000 deposit down with the EA which is fully refundable if the sale is not completed. I have am aware of the following charges but am hoping that no other suprises will pop up - is everything covered below (with the exception of Stamp Duty and the balance of the depost)?

Land Registry €600.00 File Plan Folio €40.00 Solicitor
    €1,107.00 Land Reg Searches €79.00 Mortage Registration €175.00 Open a Folio €75.00 Valuation Report €172.20 Engineer - Structural Survey €307.50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't consider these hidden costs, they are professional fees to give you security. You don't have to get a survey done but it could be a pile of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12 claregal

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the solicitor fees, the valuation report was a requirement for the mortgage application and the structural survey was my choice but it is the other fees that caught me off guard - €175 to register the mortgage? €75 to open a folio? €40 for a File Plan Folio? €79 for Land Registry searches? I knew there would be some Land Registry fees (ie the €600) but I wasn't aware of the others, are they standard? What does the €600 cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Is VAT included in the Solicitors Professional fee?. Land registry fees increased by approx. 50% on 1st December last. Fees to register mortgage increased from €125 to €175 and Land registry fees from €400 to €600.
    Valuation fee is usually €130-€150.

I'm sure you are aware that you will have to take out a Mortgage Protection Policy and a Home Insurance Policy. You can shop around for these and do not have to take them from the Lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 claregal

Hi Trish,

Yes VAT is included in the solicitor's fees and in the valuation/engineer fees. The engineer's report jumped to €400 when I went to collect it as I had asked for them to check that all planning contributions were up to date on the advice of my solicitor. I was very naive at first and had calculated professional fees at the incorrect VAT rate, from when I realised my error the costs seem to be continually increasing! I am aware that I will need to get Life and Home cover, I am meeting with the lender this week for a quotation but will be going with the most competitive provider. At this point I just want to be sure that I have encountered all of the possible charges!

Advertisement