Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing to MDF

Options
  • 18-06-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Quick Q. for those in the know, putting up a clothes rail (25mmx900mm) in a wardrobe later, one end of the rail will butt against a sheet of 12mm MDF used to box off service duct in a corner, so the question is will it require any special fixings/plugs or will the MDF hold the loaded clothes rail?
    I don't want to press ahead and end up tearing the MDF sheet apart, if the load would be too much.
    Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Got sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

15mm screws are a little short of 15mm. They'd be fine but I'd put a support in the middle also if it's close to the top of the unit.
    1100010110 wrote: »
    Quick Q. for those in the know, putting up a clothes rail (25mmx900mm) in a wardrobe later, one end of the rail will butt against a sheet of 12mm MDF used to box off service duct in a corner, so the question is will it require any special fixings/plugs or will the MDF hold the loaded clothes rail?
    I don't want to press ahead and end up tearing the MDF sheet apart, if the load would be too much.
    Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Cut up a square or rectangle of MDF and glue it to the existing panel. Use longer screws through the rail bracket/ fixing and you'll have a good sound fixing with less chance of pull out. Chamfer the edge of the MDF (before fixing) with a hand plane and paint in to match. Cheap solution, just takes a little time.

Advertisement