Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre ping times

• 18-06-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I was wondering if there's any way possible to sort my ping out. Here's what I'm talking about

Old ping
    2643989970.png

New Ping

2781024817.png

As you can see, there's an insane improve with the DL/UL speeds. But the ping still seems a little too high. Which really annoys me the most is that nearly all the guys I know who have fibre have pings as low as 5. Is there anything that can be done about this? I'm clueless :/
    Also yes im playing with an ethernet cable. Gold plated CAT6e i think it is

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Looking at your results it seems you're comparing two different servers and one is at a distance over twice as far as the other

Your ping may be much lower

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

Willbbz wrote: »
    Looking at your results it seems you're comparing two different servers and one is at a distance over twice as far as the other

Your ping may be much lower
    Both were tested on the dublin server. my nearest one. For some reason it says im further away now. Also tested it out on an East US server on BF3. Still get around a 130ping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Wambo wrote: »
    I was wondering if there's any way possible to sort my ping out. Here's what I'm talking about

Old ping
    2643989970.png

New Ping

2781024817.png

As you can see, there's an insane improve with the DL/UL speeds. But the ping still seems a little too high. Which really annoys me the most is that nearly all the guys I know who have fibre have pings as low as 5. Is there anything that can be done about this? I'm clueless :/
    Also yes im playing with an ethernet cable. Gold plated CAT6e i think it is

Post your line stats to the. Vdsl stat post.

Also gold plating

Post your line stats to the. Vdsl stat post.

Also gold plating

=======================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 15 hours: 2 minutes
    ============================================================================
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 15.417 Mbps 50.268 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.359 Mbps 50.170 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 13.8 dB 17.1 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: - 6.9 dBm 14.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -21.9 dBm 1.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.2 dB 13.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 27.207 Mbps 98.316 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 3.7 19.0 27.8 N/A 11.1 25.6 37.5
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 3.7 19.2 26.9 N/A 11.1 25.7 37.4
    SNR Margin(dB): 13.9 13.9 13.8 N/A 17.1 17.1 17.1
    Transmit Power(dBm):-19.3 -10.0 - 9.9 N/A 12.4 7.6 6.9

Is this the one you were looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

To get the best idea of the ping on your actual line you should probably ping your access gateway. For reference, mine is about 25ms on Magnet 70/20.

-jp

• Advertisement

jamesnp wrote: »
    To get the best idea of the ping on your actual line you should probably ping your access gateway. For reference, mine is about 25ms on Magnet 70/20.

-jp
    How do you ping your access gateway? Again lol I'm abit of a noob when it comes to stuff like this :/

Well, the process depends on your modem, so I can't give you a step by step guide. But, the basics are that you would go to your modem's status page (probably http://192.168.1.254) and find the IP address beside "IPv4 Default Gateway" (or something along those lines).

Once you have that IP, you'd open up Terminal on Mac or Command Prompt on Windows and type "ping IPADDRESS" where IPADDRESS is the IP you got for the Gateway.

The lowest ping you get is a rough way to gague your actual line's best ping before it hits the internet proper.

-jp

Well, the process depends on your modem, so I can't give you a step by step guide. But, the basics are that you would go to your modem's status page (probably http://192.168.1.254) and find the IP address beside "IPv4 Default Gateway" (or something along those lines).

Once you have that IP, you'd open up Terminal on Mac or Command Prompt on Windows and type "ping IPADDRESS" where IPADDRESS is the IP you got for the Gateway.

The lowest ping you get is a rough way to gague your actual line's best ping before it hits the internet proper.

-jp
    ok so heres ping times it gave me

0.835 ms
    0.610 ms
    0.697 ms
    0.835 ms
    0.748 ms
    0.768 ms
    0.704 ms
    0.773 ms

that cant be right can it?

Na, I think you might have picked the local Gateway... have a look around for another Gateway IP.

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I assume you are with Eircom. Just use the below speed-test:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest/?id=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Na, I think you might have picked the local Gateway... have a look around for another Gateway IP.

-jp

Do you mean he should ping his external IP Address? What you are saying sounds very misleading.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Do you mean he should ping his external IP Address? What you are saying sounds very misleading.

No, I don't mean that - that would be pointless.

I said to ping his access gateway to get the best idea of his actual line's ping — there's nothing misleading about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think he's talking about pinging the BRAS.

Either way OP you dont need to worry. If your mates are getting 5ms that simply means they are close to the ookla server that eircom hosts within the eircom network. You're probably connecting to a vodafone one/other.

US connections are gonna be slower no matter what, 130 is fine there. Stop worrying about your connection and enjoy it! :D

Advertisement