Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming an Irish citizen through naturalisation.

• 18-06-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking into applying for an Irish citizenship through naturalisation and have some questions.

I am an EU citizen and have been living in Ireland for the last 9-10 years. I am currently 19 years old. In form 8 it states that:

- I must provide copy of your current garda national immigration bureau card. I have never held such a document as I've been an EU citizen and therefore correct me if I'm wrong, free to travel all throughout the EU.

- I must provide 3 different proofs of residency for 5 years of living in Ireland. This is where the problem seems to arise for me. I can definitely provide 1 proof of this no problem, just request a letter from my secondary school showing my attendance record. But where else would I acquire the other 2 proofs ? Anybody have any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have been under 18 for part of that 5 year period, I'm sure that proof of parental residency during the period can be used. You must also have things like school reports, etc.

In your case, it would be best to contact INIS directly to see what they say:
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/

You may be temporarily excluded from applying on the basis that you're not self-supporting. But that may not count if you're being supported by resident EU parents. Only the INIS could really tell you for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭smilgy

Yes, I am currently supported by EU parents that are currently residents as I am currently studying in college and will be for the next 4 years. From reading the Citizens Information website, they state:
    If you can show that you have not received State support in the 3 years before your application, this will generally meet the Minister for Justice and Equality's requirement that you have been supporting yourself and your dependants and that you will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

A letter from your school principal, Junior Cert Results Certificate, Leaving Cert Results Certificate.

If you have held a bank account for the period, bank statements would also be reliable proof.

Your family GP might be prepared to write a letter confirming the date that you or your family first started under their care along with dates that you have been treated/attended for treatment, or might be prepared to confirm that you have been a resident for the past 8 years.

Armed with some of the above proof you might be able to get your local TD to write a letter confirming your residence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

seamus wrote: »
    You may be temporarily excluded from applying on the basis that you're not self-supporting. But that may not count if you're being supported by resident EU parents. Only the INIS could really tell you for certain.

If that was the policy, no child could ever be granted citizenship. They're not that unreasonable. The self-supporting requirement only means you can't be on social welfare.

They're also not going to demand a GNIB card that they know full well you won't have.

Advertisement