Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTC / Fibre Broadband - In an active area, but my local cabinet isn't enabled - Any

Options
  • 18-06-2013 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I'm in an area of Cork City connected to Wellington Road exchange which is apparently now active for fibre. 
    Unfortunately my local cabinet doesn't seem to be live yet, and I can't get any information from Eircom sales about activation dates. They just keep trying to sell me NGB broadband and I already have an equivalent service from Smart Telecom / Digiweb (significantly cheaper)

I've been in touch with UPC and we are considering moving over to them, although it will take a bit of overhead wiring work (which we might have to pay for ourselves). However, it would be a better setup than our current connection which maxes out at about 12mbit/s or so.

If I PM you our address, could you possibly give me an update on when the local cabinet is likely to go live? I'd say if it goes beyond the end of the summer, we might just go with UPC instead.

If the eircom product's capable of providing reasonable speeds, we might just go with that but, I don't really want to hang around for ever waiting if it's going to be a very late launch in this area.

Also, because we're on an LLU line with Smart, eircom seem to be unable to look up the details of the line either via the sales number or the website. Other suppliers like Vodafone tell me that I've no landline at all when I contact them and offer me mobile broadband !!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

any update on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi SpaceTime,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

I have looked into your query and I'm afraid we have no lead times on when the cabinet in area/estate will be upgraded. We are only informed after it has been done. Eircom will contact you when it has been upgraded so you can place an order.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Thanks for getting back to me.

That's a shame that there's no updates available. Hopefully it won't be too long, but as it stands the sales guys just said it could be anytime from June to December which really isn't all that useful and I'm sure it's equally frustrating for them not to be able to provide info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me.

That's a shame that there's no updates available. Hopefully it won't be too long, but as it stands the sales guys just said it could be anytime from June to December which really isn't all that useful and I'm sure it's equally frustrating for them not to be able to provide info.
    No problem at all.

Hopefully it will be soon, I understand it must be frustrating for you.

Thanks 

Tracey

Advertisement