Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 Cancellation Fee

Options
  • 18-06-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I just called Eircom to provide notice of cancellation of my account as I am emigrating and they told me that I would incur a 300+ cancellation fee.

They said it was because of a package/discount 10 Euro per month that was offered to me in November and it puts me back in contract for 12 months.

I don't remember this and I have requested the recorded phone conversation transcript to be checked.
    If it turns out I did agree to this discount plan surely a 10 Euro saving per month couldn't turn into a 300+ cancellation fee.

Anyway, I want it recorded today that I gave cancellation notice for the 17th of July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

gorrrr72 wrote: »
    I just called Eircom to provide notice of cancellation of my account as I am emigrating and they told me that I would incur a 300+ cancellation fee.

They said it was because of a package/discount 10 Euro per month that was offered to me in November and it puts me back in contract for 12 months.

I don't remember this and I have requested the recorded phone conversation transcript to be checked.
    If it turns out I did agree to this discount plan surely a 10 Euro saving per month couldn't turn into a 300+ cancellation fee.

Anyway, I want it recorded today that I gave cancellation notice for the 17th of July
    I was offered a discount some months ago by Eircom.
    Being the untrusting soul that I am, I looked for the 'catch'.
    It took some questioning to get the info, but I did find out that it would mean a new 12 month contract.
    So I said no thanks.
    The caller continued on the sales pitch .....  and eventually I had to be quite firm and state that 'as this call is being recorded, I wish to put it on record that I refuse any offer which involves a new contract'.
    There was some mumbling about not getting the offer under those circumstances etc, but the message got through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi gorrrr72, 

I'm afraid we can't accept this as a cancellation here. The cancellation fee is worked out by day for the remainder of the contract. 

If you wish to cancel the account you will need to contact the cancellations section, they require a letter to be sent in also. To contact them dial 1901. 

If you wish to get the call listened to you can make a formal complaint and request it on 1800 200 481. 

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If they claim that you renewed or agreed to a new contract they must provide evidence of this but be prepared to wait and wait for your call to be reviewed, there may be no contract depending on what you were told in the call and whether you were told about the new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

Well, I wasn't told about a letter but I spoke to the cancellations department and they said they would check the call and get back to me. I guess I will wait to hear back. Does this mean that my 30 days notice has started or not?

Hi gorrrr72, 

No I'm afraid your 30 days has not started yet because you are querying the cancellation. 

Thanks

Tracey

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Are they charging VAT on the cancellation fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Also, if they cannot find the recording of the phone call, then your are not tied to any contract as they cannot provide any proof that you where advised of and agreed to the new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This is really putting me off moving back to eircom. I was considering it for a while with the new E-Fibre thing.

I don't like sneaky T&Cs.

I'm now back and looking at my broadband options (currently with Smart).

Hi gorrrr72, 

No I'm afraid your 30 days has not started yet because you are querying the cancellation. 

Thanks

Tracey
    So can I get it to start anyway while I am querying the cancellation fee? I'll be leaving the country on the 17th of July.

Yawns wrote: »
    Are they charging VAT on the cancellation fees?
    Yes, he had to work out the VAT before he gave me the cancellation fee figure, I can't remember how much it was exactly. It might have been three hundred and forty something, it was definitely over 300 anyway.

• Advertisement

So can I get it to start anyway while I am querying the cancellation fee? I'll be leaving the country on the 17th of July.

Yes you can start the cancellation process by contacting them on 1901. They will give you all the information you need to start the process. 

Thanks 

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Eircom staff continually bombard eircom customers with marketing calls trying to get them to sign up to these "deals" and then turn around and screw them to the wall when they want out. In the end eircom will have no customers and reps on here may not be so smug . Some of the responses from the eircom reps are so disrespectful of their own customers . No sense of customer care or empathy.  Would the reps speak to their parents or chilldren if they were in the same predicament as the customers here. I dont think so . Shame on You Mark, Tony, Alan, & Tracey. Shame on You.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yes, he had to work out the VAT before he gave me the cancellation fee figure, I can't remember how much it was exactly. It might have been three hundred and forty something, it was definitely over 300 anyway.

Vat is not due on a cancellation of services. It's not required by revenue. Ask them for a bill without the vat added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If they claim that you renewed or agreed to a new contract they must provide evidence of this but be prepared to wait and wait for your call to be reviewed, there may be no contract depending on what you were told in the call and whether you were told about the new contract.
    i wonder, if they tell you as the start of the call that it's for "Training Purposes" can they subsequently use it as proof you are in contract with them, as that wasnt the original purpose of the recording.
    i'm not suggesting you dont honour an agreement, but sometimes the contracts (and small print seem) to overly favour the company rather than the customer. (like charging you vat on a cancellation :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I suppose we should probably just start recording calls to call centre sales lines for our own records too.

It would avoid a lot of these kinds of confusing situations.

I prefer to sign up to things online if possible as I'm more likely to get a clear explanation of T&Cs

I really don't like telesales.

Well, I guess Eircom don't want to deal with this, I still haven't heard back from them. So if they ignore my request am I in my rights to ignore their bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Well, I guess Eircom don't want to deal with this, I still haven't heard back from them. So if they ignore my request am I in my rights to ignore their bill?
    Hi gorrrr72

We have already advised that we cannot offer assistance on this from here, you were also advised that you lodge a formal complaint on this to eircom complaints on 1800200481.

Once a complaint has been made a full investigation will be made into your complaint and this can take up to 10 working days.
    If you wish to get an update on the status of your request and complaint please contact 1800200481 for this as the eircom moderators on this page are not complaints representatives.

Al

Hi gorrrr72

We have already advised that we cannot offer assistance on this from here, you were also advised that you lodge a formal complaint on this to eircom complaints on 1800200481.

Once a complaint has been made a full investigation will be made into your complaint and this can take up to 10 working days.
    If you wish to get an update on the status of your request and complaint please contact 1800200481 for this as the eircom moderators on this page are not complaints representatives.

Al
    Hi Alan,

I was just posting an update, this wasn't directed at you or the moderators on this forum.

Eircom have not responded to my request to have the recorded call transcript sent to me as I can't remember being transferred to a new 10 euro per month saving deal and being advised that there was a new 12 month contract required and a hefty cancellation fee (plus VAT) if the contract is broken.

I didn't know it could take 10 days, thanks for the info, I will try them again to check on the status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Alan,

I was just posting an update, this wasn't directed at you or the moderators on this forum.

Eircom have not responded to my request to have the recorded call transcript sent to me as I can't remember being transferred to a new 10 euro per month saving deal and being advised that there was a new 12 month contract required and a hefty cancellation fee (plus VAT) if the contract is broken.

I didn't know it could take 10 days, thanks for the info, I will try them again to check on the status
    Ok gorrrr72

I'm sorry they haven’tgot back to you yet, best thing to do is call them (1800200481)

Apologies for any inconvenience caused bythis.

Al

Advertisement