Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive induction stories only!! :)

• 18-06-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Title says it all guys- pleeeeeeeease post some positive stories about your inductions here with lots of detail. They would be very much appreciated by some of us with inductions looming who are very nervous. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I got induced at 39wks as my blood pressure had gone up. My cervix was very favourable as i had experienced lots of pre labour pains.

I was put on the drip about 4:45pm and immediately started getting strong contractions. They were manageable with a TENS machine up until 7cm and then i needed gas and air. I very quickly progressed from 7 to 10cm. I dropped the gas and air for pushing probably within the hour then my little man was born at 8:21pm.

Tbh even though it was hard i thought it would be worse and feel my experience was positive.

Hope this helps and best of luck :-) At the end of it all as long as you and your baby are healthy it won't matter and you won't care when you hold them for the first time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

At 39wks 4 days my waters broke, but no contractions. As there was meconium in the waters they put me on the oxytocin drip to induce the contractions. This was at about 11.15 am. I was on a monitor the whole time so was unable to move around. I got to 7cm on my own, then got the epidural. An hour later at 5.10pm baby A arrived happy and healthy :)
    All my contractions were in my back which I think helped me a lot, as I wasn't expecting it and am well used to back pain so it didn't seem bad at all to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Not my story, my sisters, and I don't know all the ins & outs, but....
    She was kept in at five days overdue and was induced due to preeclampsia. Got the gel, nothing happened, got it again and had her waters broken. Not in active labour at this point. An hour later, she calls me to tell me my niece had been born :) Very quick! She was worried induction would lead to a protracted labour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I was induced a few years ago and the thinking of it before hand was worse than the actual procedure. I was to be in the hospital (rotunda) at 7.00 am. After getting checked in with the other girls I was in a pre labour ward at about 8.00 am. Then it was literally just waiting and waiting for the doctor to come to induce you.

It was a doctor who I didn't know - so that made me very nervous and uncomfortable. However after the thirty seconds that the induction took, I was fine. Then comes the horrible part - I had to do what I was meant to have been doing for the previous week - nothing. I was sitting on the bed, bored - nothing to do or too anxious to do anything.

Of course then the baby stopped moving or so I thought, I began to feel phantom pains, I was watching all these girls being wheeled out to give birth and in my head I was being "left out" - everybody was skipping the queue!!! - I'd been there before most of them - so it had to be my turn and the worse part was I was the first to be induced.

It was about 5 pm - no move - shattered tired, grumpy (and that was just the husband - who kept on telling me how he was feeling) and they brought me into the labour ward - Where it was more peaceful and fell asleep at about 8.00pm and then woke up at 9pm in severe pain and labour started - baby born at 9.25 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i was induced with my lg as was 2 weeks over my due date, was admitted at 7am got the gel at 9, nothing happened was due to get another gel at 3.30 my waters broke at 2 with no pains, 15 mins later contractions started, and were coming ever 2 mins straight away, managed with the tens till 5cm when contractions stopped, went on the drip took about 45mins before contractions were regular again, had gas and air, went from 8-10cm in 20mins started pushing and had my daughter after only 11mins of pushing, I had heard horrer stories about induction but i didnt find it too bad from waters breaking to delivery was 11hrs and 16 mins and tbh they flew by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Induced twice. On first baby waters had broken but labour didnt start so was put on drip. Used gas and air until 2cm and got my epidural. Slow progress to that point. Then I fell asleep and in about 2 hrs I was fully dilated! Pushing I could feel contraction pressure but no pain, was perfect. Baby healthy and perfect ;-)

Second time I was induced few days early as I was ready and had sweep at 38weeks. Had to hang around until there was space for me - that was worst part! Then getting settled in the bed I didnt really realise it was all starting. Left my dressing gown on and wires were put over it, so it was a pain taking it off later! Also forgot to take my knickers off - was having my waters broken artificially - was a bit morto at that point ;-) Student midwife had me worried about breaking waters telling me I could use gas and air(!) but it was fine, less uncomfortable than a smear and my gp can be rough enough. Then on the drip and it went much quicker. Total labour was 5-6hrs from start to finish and again perfect healthy baby.

Induction wouldnt worry me. I view it as simply helping getting the process started. I've heard pain can be more intense - I've been on drip for both so cant comment on difference but I certainly would be taking any drugs available with or w/o induction ;-D I've a low pain threshold. HTH Good luck to all those being inducted - try not to be nervous, it's great to know when you'll go into labour, it cant sneak up on you, you can plan things you need to in advance. It's exciting to know when you'll meet your baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

I was exactly a week overdue and was to be in hospital (the coombe) for 8am. They decided to induce me because they didnt want baby to get to much bigger! By half 8 I was in the labour room and they had broken my waters. They put the drip in and Contractions started soon after that and at about 12 I was offered to use the gas which just didnt agree with me.
    Gt the epidural at about 4 which was great but I was still only 5cm at half 7 so they were going to section me, checked again at 8 and I was 9cm. An hour and a half later my lb was born naturally @ 9.36pm

Advertisement