Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning tp upgrade my package from UPC

• 18-06-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am currently using 30mb + home phone line which is 53.99Euro/mo

They said they are going to upgrade my line to 50mb but not sure when will this happen

Since I have been with them for 3-4 years now and so I dont have a contract with them

However, I am going to sign a 12 months contract with the landlady soon and so I am thinking to upgrade my line as well. The biggest concern is that I need to took away the home phone line as I only use it once or twice every month...

We have 3 people using the Internet most of the time and my brother mainly play online games.

Now, I have 2 choice.

1. 50MB - 8 Euros less every month
    2. 100MB - 2-3 Euros more every month

The number tell me that option 2 will faster for gaming but my question is will it make a big difference (compare to 50MB)?

and secondly, I cannot find their bandwidth cap on their site any more. I remember it was 500GB bandwidth for 30 and 50MB...did they change it to unlimited now? :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes it is now unlimited but you need to sign a new 12 month contract with them to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

kk887 wrote: »
    I am currently using 30mb + home phone line which is 53.99Euro/mo

They said they are going to upgrade my line to 50mb but not sure when will this happen

Since I have been with them for 3-4 years now and so I dont have a contract with them

However, I am going to sign a 12 months contract with the landlady soon and so I am thinking to upgrade my line as well. The biggest concern is that I need to took away the home phone line as I only use it once or twice every month...

We have 3 people using the Internet most of the time and my brother mainly play online games.

Now, I have 2 choice.

1. 50MB - 8 Euros less every month
    2. 100MB - 2-3 Euros more every month

The number tell me that option 2 will faster for gaming but my question is will it make a big difference (compare to 50MB)?

and secondly, I cannot find their bandwidth cap on their site any more. I remember it was 500GB bandwidth for 30 and 50MB...did they change it to unlimited now? :P

Hi

Firstly the faster the speeds then it's better for gaming but a lot will rest on latency and pings. As for the cap this has been removed and is now unlimited (subject to a fair usage policy)

As all UPC broadband customers are being upgraded to 50Mb mininum anyway there should be no need to start a new 12 month contract, and they should also upgrade your modem too. If however you choose to go to 100 or 150Mb then you are likely to have to enter a new 12 month contract with a connection fee of €45.00.

As for the phone service keep it, as there is an extra handling fee per month for broadband only and it is cheaper than what you are paying now. Check UPC's website for the different bundle prices.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

I am confused now...

Section 3: Data Transfer Allowances, Excessive Use and Other Limitations
    UPC broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the Services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB

From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

"Excessive use" of the Service means usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance. If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:
     Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or
     Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or
     Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or
     Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or
     Terminate your account for non-compliance

So...there is no fair usage if I sign a new contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭m

good stuff,I`m on an old broadband/tv package was 25mb they increased it to 30mb recently without notice.Someone told me to get the 50mb you need a new modem and signa new deal with a fee of around 45 euro.

I take it on my package at the moment its 500gb a month? Cheers

m wrote: »
    good stuff,I`m on an old broadband/tv package was 25mb they increased it to 30mb recently without notice.Someone told me to get the 50mb you need a new modem and signa new deal with a fee of around 45 euro.

I take it on my package at the moment its 500gb a month? Cheers
    Notice their latest changed.

From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

They didnt mention there will the be fair usage...

I think I will ring them to clarify tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

cunnijo wrote: »
    As all UPC broadband customers are being upgraded to 50Mb mininum anyway there should be no need to start a new 12 month contract, and they should also upgrade your modem too. If however you choose to go to 100 or 150Mb then you are likely to have to enter a new 12 month contract with a connection fee of €45.00.

The free upgrade to 50mb involves signing a 12 month contract. As you are out of contract when you decide what you want ring up UPC, tell them you've had offers from Sky Broadband (broadband free for 6 months) and Eircom and say you're thinking of changing providers. Make sure to be put through to the loyalty dept. They will be very happy to offer you discounts to sign a 12 month contract.

Cheers for that.

Let me know how you got on with the call kk87.Thanks.

This is from their reply
    For new upgrades or customers to 50Mb or higher there are no usage limits. This includes your account also. Hope this helps, Thanks, Brian.

I got the 100MB now but however when I try to speed test to Cork (I am around cork city) and the connection is 58-64Mb...to Dublin = 88Mb...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Be very careful about the new contract requirement. It now seems that all upgrades require a 12 month contract. There are many instances reported in the UPC forum of customers not being made aware of this requirement upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

This is from their reply

I got the 100MB now but however when I try to speed test to Cork (I am around cork city) and the connection is 58-64Mb...to Dublin = 88Mb...

Did you try their own speedtest at http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

This is from their reply

I really hope you took my advice and haggled yourself a really good deal before taking the upgrade . . .

Whats the deal with signing a new contract bundle tv and broadband on the 50mb up from 30. Do you have to pay "activation costs" at outlined on their website ( around 200 euro) for them to basically do nothing bar send out a modem that can get a higher speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

m wrote: »
    Whats the deal with signing a new contract bundle tv and broadband on the 50mb up from 30. Do you have to pay "activation costs" at outlined on their website ( around 200 euro) for them to basically do nothing bar send out a modem that can get a higher speed?

Don't know where you're getting €200 from, but the upgrade is for free at the moment anyway.

when you click the add to basket thing on upc.ie as a customer already, the " activation fee`s come close to 200 euro", I presume when you are already a customer of broadband/digital tv and are just switching to fibre 50 product or whatever these activatin fee`s don`t kick in?

Advertisement