Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal VOIP Call Charges

• 18-06-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭

Posting this only for information purposes, in case someone is researching VOIP for personal use.

I changed my VOIP provider a couple of months ago to freevoipdeal, setting up a PAYG account.

I got 120 days from date of purchase (minimum €10+VAT) with free calls to all Irish, English, most of Europe, Aus, USA, Canda etc etc. landlines, and in a couple of locations mobile numbers also.

The €10+VAT I deposited remains intact for the 120 days unless used for calls which have a charge - such as calls to mobile phones or landlines outside of the free locations.

The charge for each mobile call is 2c+VAT euro per minute or part of a minute, with no call set up charge.

This is one of the cheapest call rates I have found.

Call quality is as good as I have come to expect from VOIP (better than landline usually) and I have had no problems with the service.

A family member was in France recently so calling their mobile number cost me 2c+VAT per minute or part minute, and since the ruling about roaming charges to receive calls in Europe, that was the only charge for the calls.*

I can set my caller ID to my landline number, so I get called back on that (I have to have a landline presently because that is how I get broadband).

I don't think this provider deals with incoming calls .... at least I have not noticed a means of porting a landline number to them.

In time I guess I will need to port my number to some service that deals with received calls .... particularly if I can get broadband without a landline bundle .... or if e-fibre or equivalent ever gets to this location ..... or maybe a combination of two services - one for receiving calls and the other for making them.

Call services for personal use are definitely improving greatly since competition increased in the VOIP services area.

..... interesting times indeed ......

* this might be Phone Service Provider specific

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

AS a matter of interest have you had any dropped calls or have you noticed any? I don't use them just wondering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mr. G wrote: »
    AS a matter of interest have you had any dropped calls or have you noticed any? I don't use them just wondering...

I find it difficult to say for definite ....... recently I have had occasion to call a couple of companies which require a long rigmarole to get through to a person.
    For one of those companies the call was dropped twice in the last week, after I got through to an actual person.

I am more inclined to blame the company than the VOIP provider ..... but I cannot rule them out.

I am happy with the service so far .... have nothing to complain about ..... and to be honest at the rate charged for mobile calls I would probably put up with some aggravation :)

Sorry I cannot be more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Just bought 10 euro of credit. Just made a call from to UK landline, quality was perfect. Call duration was 17 minutes. Will call a few mobiles in Europe over the next week and will report back on quality.

Running Linksys SPA 942 SIP phone over 8mb ADSL Eircom line.

Mylow wrote: »
    Just bought 10 euro of credit. Just made a call from to UK landline, quality was perfect. Call duration was 17 minutes. Will call a few mobiles in Europe over the next week and will report back on quality.

Running Linksys SPA 942 SIP phone over 8mb ADSL Eircom line.

If you are calling a local mobile in another country be aware that some locations have higher charges .... check the rates to be sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

If you are calling a local mobile in another country be aware that some locations have higher charges .... check the rates to be sure ;)

They all have different rates :-)
    Been using VoIP for 6 years, always jumping between Betamax/Delmont providers.

The 3 countries I mainly call have free landline calls (I never use all of the free/inclusive allowance). The mobile call charges are 0.5c, 1c and 2c + VAT a minute.

• Advertisement

Mylow ....... how has your longer term experience been?

It seems the call costs to Irish mobiles has dropped to 1c per min (+vat) from the 2c/min up to a few days ago.
    Ireland (Landline) FREE* FREE* FREE*
    Ireland (Mobile) € 0.01

I used it to make a call to a US mobile yesterday .... a 17 min call .... and the voice clarity was good ...... the only noticeable factor was the delay in hearing the other party.

I made that call from the PC using Linphone and a headset ..... my ears were a bit blocked and the control of volume etc on the PC was a great help.

It helped that the call was covered in my 'Free Days', so no charge at all.

I am rather impressed with this provider ..... the charges are very low and the quality I have experienced is very good.

I hope they last :D

Johnboy -as a matter of interest what's the quality of the routes like calling mobiles and landlines with freevoipdeal in comparison to using landline?

Thanks

Mr. G wrote: »
    Johnboy -as a matter of interest what's the quality of the routes like calling mobiles and landlines with freevoipdeal in comparison to using landline?

Thanks

No quality issues at all when on a call ..... I have had a second or so of echo or some settling in the connection when the other end is picked up - on rare occasions.
    Once past that sec or two, no problems.

It has gotten to the stage where I dislike using the landline because the sound quality is not as good or clear ..... but I have to add for accuracy, that I would be using a different handset which also might be contributing.

Either way it is no worse than using the landline and IMO considerably better.

having written that maybe I was answering the wrong question :eek:

No quality issues at all when on a call ..... I have had a second or so of echo or some settling in the connection when the other end is picked up - on rare occasions.
    Once past that sec or two, no problems.

It has gotten to the stage where I dislike using the landline because the sound quality is not as good or clear ..... but I have to add for accuracy, that I would be using a different handset which also might be contributing.

Either way it is no worse than using the landline and IMO considerably better.

having written that maybe I was answering the wrong question :eek:

Nah you answered my question hah :).

As a follow up ..... a mate in Sweden who moved to this provider a couple of months ago, reported today that several calls to Swedish mobiles, both within Sweden and also roaming in Iceland, were clear and excellent quality with no delay that was noticeable.

He was using Linphone on a desktop to make the calls.

A somewhat similar set up to what I use at times.

Added this post only with the intention of adding a little extra info about the SIP provider and what their service is reported being like, elsewhere.

He did mention that mobile calls cost him half a cent euro per min to Swedish providers.

As I mention earlier .... I hope this provider stays the course .... keeping quality and price at the levels they are now ... or better.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement