Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIC posting location

• 18-06-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I recently discovered that my grandfather was in the RIC, and I've got his service record. However, all it says is that he was posted to Kerry. He joined in 1915 and resigned just after the Listowel mutiny, in 1920. Is there any way I can find out exactly where in Kerry he was posted?

I've read Jeremiah Mee's memoirs and checked a few other contemporary books, aswell as search the Irish Newspaper Archive, in the hope he got a mention but to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

usually the name of he stations they served in and dates etc are included. (Edit - maybe not , see below)

Did you view the record in Pearse Street or the National Archives ?

These are the column details included in the registers (from the PSNI museum) :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

shanew wrote: »
    usually the name of he stations they served in and dates etc are included.

RUC History Society records just have counties. I know two of my g-g-grandfather's two but not his last, "Antrim" being very unspecific.

not sure if I was just lucky with the ones I saw, or thinking of DMP records - any of the examples I've just found online show just county, sometimes with East/South riding etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

It was in Pearse street library. On the page of the record that I copied, every entry in the merely states the county, with one being "Cork ER" on one, as you said. The column heading says "ALLOCATION To what county (in the order of Service in each)", which would imply that the county is all that's registered. Would the National Archives have the same detail, or more?

the records in the National Archives and PSNI Museum should be copies of the same films. I think the original registers the films were made from might still be in Kew (London).

edit : 8 RIC districts, with 55 stations in Co. Kerry in 1890, so probably a similar number in the early 20th C

• Advertisement

Was he married ?

If they had any children during those years the places of birth could help narrow down possible stations..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

shanew wrote: »
    Was he married ?

If they had any children during those years the places of birth could help narrow down possible stations..

That worked for me too, although my RIC guys were stationed in different places, the childer were born in those same places, the family is all over the shop!

Unfortunately, no children while he was there, though he did meet his wife in Kerry, and lived elsewhere in Kerry for a time after leaving, though with 55 stations it'd be merely guesswork. I'd also guess that given the political climate at the time, he wouldn't want to live in a location where it was known what his previous occupation was!

His wife was from just outside Glenbeigh, given that people didn't seem to move much in those days, I wonder what the odds of him serving in Glenbeigh would be, thus meeting her on his rounds? It seems there was a station there:
    http://irishgenealogyqueries.yuku.com/topic/634#.UcCOeCeaV3U

The barracks in Cahirciveen looks pretty impressive from photos, it'd be nice to think he served there! Something to show the kids...

Newspaper archives *may* give a clue if they mention him appearing for the prosecution in a case.

MYOB wrote: »
    Newspaper archives *may* give a clue if they mention him appearing for the prosecution in a case.

I've already tried that, to no avail, unfortunately, unless I just tried the wrong combination of keywords.

• Advertisement

Try looking for "[rank] [surname]" or "[rank] [initial] [surname]" rather than their full name.

MYOB wrote: »
    Try looking for "[rank] [surname]" or "[rank] [initial] [surname]" rather than their full name.

Yes, tried that without luck unfortunately.

Advertisement