Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race tyres

Options
  • 18-06-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I have continental gatorskins on my bike at the moment,( gaelforce etc, havent bothered changing them) from doing some reading online changing tyres for races seems like a good idea..
    so does anyone have any recomendations for a good set of race tyres..
    edit i mean triathlons and not adventure races

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

The best tyres on the market hands down are the GP4000's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

oooh, I prefer Mich Pro Race myself

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

+1 for the 4000s'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Vittoria open corsa evos are great, second year racing on them and love them

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

where can you get these in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

trainerman wrote: »

Most LBS stock them, plus on-line options.

Great tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

mloc123 wrote: »
    oooh, I prefer Mich Pro Race myself

preference is fine but in terms of roling restiance, puncture resitance and aerodynamics its very hard to beat the 4000s

the vitoria would certainly be better in roling resitance than the 4000
    and the michelin might be better in the rain.

I would say you will struggle to find them cheaper than this http://www.swimcyclerun.com/tyresclincher/continental-gp-4000s-black-chili.html

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

trainerman wrote: »

I saw them in cycleplus.ie (Greystones) - I think around €45 but you'll need to ring in advance to find out if they have them in stock as there popular.
    Same for CycleSuperStores in Tallaght and Wheelworxs in Clondalkin

Online options are here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Tyres+&CategoryIDs=1161,1152,977,733,1048&BrandIDs=263

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=Continental+Grand+Prix+4000

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/elysium.search?search=Continental+Grand+Prix+4000

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=13&search=continential+gp4000
    (Cheapest I found but delivery is €10 - worth it if you buy 2 or more)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »

Was just about to post that link :)

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Was just about to post that link :)
    I may have originally got the link from you. :P

The other good thing about the 4000s is they are so easy to put on. Gatorskins are pigs on my wheels because of the beading.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

+ 1 GP4000's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

thanks, looks like the gp4000s so,

"The other good thing about the 4000s is they are so easy to put on. Gatorskins are pigs on my wheels because of the beading. "

not sorry to hear this, wasnt looking forward to changing them took ages the last time i took one of the gatorskins off..

Yeah the 4000s will take minutes, very easy to push on with your thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

black tyres don't match the colour scheme i have going on witht he bike. its red or nothing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I think i have the 4000's on my road bike, what sort of distance should i get out of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cayo

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

maybe a group buy?
    I would take 2

• Advertisement

has anyone ordered from this crowd before , if so how long did delivery take ?? left this a bit late and need (i dont actually need need them, but you know how us triathletes work) the tyres before i head off to Austria on Friday....

Oryx wrote: »

Is there an economicaly minded person that can calculate what s the real cost for a tryre bought abroad is . in terms of tax loss and loss of irish employment?
    10 000 tyres bought abroad is about 80 000 euro loss if income tax (Angela merkel is happy to make 68 000 if you buy in germany) .
    most likely 1.5 job positons lost in ireland which then cost another 15000 euro for benefits for those unemployed and a loss of spending power for those people, meaning other Irish people have less income.

peter kern wrote: »
    Is there an economicaly minded person that can calculate what s the real cost for a tryre bought abroad is . in terms of tax loss and loss of irish employment?
    10 000 tyres bought abroad is about 80 000 euro loss if income tax (Angela merkel is happy to make 68 000 if you buy in germany) .
    most likely 1.5 job positons lost in ireland which then cost another 15000 euro for benefits for those unemployed and a loss of spending power for those people, meaning other Irish people have less income.

Do you honestly think that enters peoples heads when they purchace an item, the want a quality product at the right price...........i don't care where i buy it or who i buy it from. Why should i buy here, spend more money and have less in my pocket ?

the swiss dont think your way and it seems to work well for them...

not that i would not buy where its cheapest but i was just thinking is it actually cheaper.... when i look at switzerland which is one of the richest countries in the world. I guess it would not be obstruse to think , it might not be the chepest to buy cheap, and better to buy what keeps your countries econnoy afloat.( the swiss are very proud to buy swiss products. i would think prouder to buy national products than any other country i have ever been to.

My LBS sells conti 4000s for 56 euro. I got them, delivered, for 27 each. I'm all for propping up the economy, and I do support my LBS (if I get a new bike, it will likely be from them), but this was too extreme a difference to justify.

the swiss dont think your way and it seems to work well for them...

not that i would not buy where its cheapest but i was just thinking is it actually cheaper.... when i look at switzerland which is one of the richest countries in the world. I guess it would not be obstruse to think , it might not be the chepest to buy cheap, and better to buy what keeps your countries econnoy afloat.( the swiss are very proud to buy swiss products. i would think prouder to buy national products than any other country i have ever been to.

The last time i was in Switerland the majority of those in the bars drank Budweiser, Heineken etc beer, the taxi's were mainly Mercedes and the best selling car there is the VW Golf.............all fine Swiss products, oh wait:rolleyes:

Also we are in a common market, a European market, the Swiss are not. Thier banking market being one reason and their tax laws being very easy on the rich is another reason. Look at the number of people who live there as tax exiles.

Switerland is far from perfect, no nation, ecomony or way of thinking is perfect.

BUT in the economic climate we currently live in everyone islooking for a bargain and cost IS very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Worth almost a thread in itself - I bought a heavily discounted road handlebars on chain reaction recently to replace my broken ones and will freely admit to slight shades of guilt as I arrived at my local bike shop with the bars to get him to replace them. I should have at least inquired could he match the price before I did that to him. I did draw the line at giving him the bar tape as well though!

I give out enough about foreign competitors in my own business to realize I am being hypocritical myself.

The one time I did do a major purchase from the LBS I was very surprised at how competitive the price was and he threw in a pair of tri shoes, pedals and an aero bottle at no extra cost which wouldn't happen online.

Using the tyre in question ie 35 euro irish value
    Is that 6.5 euro personal saving buying in germany vs giving the irish econnomy approx a 22 euro boast (vat, income tax tax, spending power.etc ) really chaeaper looking at it from a maccro economic view?

Is that 6.5 euro personal saving buying in germany vs giving the irish econnomy approx a 22 euro boast (vat, income tax tax, spending power.etc ) really chaeaper looking at it from a maccro economic view?

If I had to pay €112 here instead of €54 from Germany I probably wouldn't have bought them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The unfortunate reality is that we live in a global economy. Blue collar and white collar workers have to compete globally with workforces in other countries in many industries - why should retail be any different?

Advertisement