Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I mention plans of emigration at interview?

Options
  • 18-06-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for some advice in relation to an upcoming interview! Like a lot of people I have been searching for employment for sometime. Since finishing my postgrad 3 years ago I have been actively searching for fulltime employment, during the 3 years I did complete an internship, volunteer, do FAS courses etc. November of last year was the last interview I have had even though I search online and complete applications on a daily basis. I finally came to the decision that I would move to the UK and look for work flight is booked for this week. Low and behold I have received a call to attend an interview tomorrow. My question being should I mention my plans of moving to UK later this week to look for work during the interview or how should I broach the subject ? Looking at the job spec I think I would like the job and company so If I was to get offered the job i would not move! Also from speaking with HR they are interviewing at least 5 other candidates throughout the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you'd stay if you were offered the job, then I wouldn't volunteer the information tomorrow.

If it comes up (e.g. "do you have any other interviews lined up?"), then maybe you can say something like you've an interview in the UK which you're flying over for - but not that you're moving there. Say how you're excited about this role and you'd much rather stay if you were offered this job etc.

After the interview you might get a better feel for whether you should push out the flights (if they're interviewing 5 other candidates, it could be a long enough process though) / if it is a non-runner / if you should fly over anyway, but be prepared to travel back if it gets to a 2nd round or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eoin wrote: »
    If you'd stay if you were offered the job, then I wouldn't volunteer the information tomorrow.

If it comes up (e.g. "do you have any other interviews lined up?"), then maybe you can say something like you've an interview in the UK which you're flying over for - but not that you're moving there. Say how you're excited about this role and you'd much rather stay if you were offered this job etc.

After the interview you might get a better feel for whether you should push out the flights (if they're interviewing 5 other candidates, it could be a long enough process though) / if it is a non-runner / if you should fly over anyway, but be prepared to travel back if it gets to a 2nd round or whatever.

Thank you for your advice, I decided not to volunteer the info about my UK plans, if they had brought up the question about other interviews lined up I think I would have said it then. They said they are interviewing for the reminder of this week and maybe into next week, so I think I will go on the flight as I can't afford to cancel and pay for another and go through the disappointment of waiting around if I don't get it! Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a call before my flight tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Best of luck - if they do ask you in for a second round, then maybe you can see if you can get a good deal on a day trip back.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Maybe a little late but if they do contact you for a second round maybe a phone or skype interview would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Icaras wrote: »
    Maybe a little late but if they do contact you for a second round maybe a phone or skype interview would be possible.

Well we would not entertain that idea anyway, we would for first round, never for a second round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi all

I am looking for some advice in relation to an upcoming interview! Like a lot of people I have been searching for employment for sometime. Since finishing my postgrad 3 years ago I have been actively searching for fulltime employment, during the 3 years I did complete an internship, volunteer, do FAS courses etc. November of last year was the last interview I have had even though I search online and complete applications on a daily basis. I finally came to the decision that I would move to the UK and look for work flight is booked for this week. Low and behold I have received a call to attend an interview tomorrow. My question being should I mention my plans of moving to UK later this week to look for work during the interview or how should I broach the subject ? Looking at the job spec I think I would like the job and company so If I was to get offered the job i would not move! Also from speaking with HR they are interviewing at least 5 other candidates throughout the week.

Maybe hang on until you offered job. It might show you lack interest in job/interview stating you plan to emigrate but maybe state you like to one day to the uk but not right now if they ask a question on it or if they ask where you see yourself in 5 to 10 yrs time. Only mention it if a question you asked might require you to mention it. Unless you set on going to uk to move regardless of interview outcome or if you get job.

Wait and see. You cant decide indefiently until you offered job. Do you really want this job? You fight for it tooth and nail if you really want it and not have to move. What ever your goal is follow it when you certain of it!

Advertisement