Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1913:The Lockout - Why not on Junior Cert exam?

Options
  • 18-06-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

The centenary year of the Lockout and no question on the Junior Cert?

Very strange or where the examiners being smart in knowing students would study it and so not ask a question on it?

Whatever the reason it should have been on the exam paper - the history exam paper after all it is history!

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

They never do historic anniversaries as it's too predictable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    The centenary year of the Lockout and no question on the Junior Cert?

Very strange or where the examiners being smart in knowing students would study it and so not ask a question on it?

Whatever the reason it should have been on the exam paper - the history exam paper after all it is history!

What do others think?

Cos that's just what you'd expect of them.

What's the point in an exam system if they always ask questions on events when it's an anniversary/centenary?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Yeah. It's far too predictable. On the other hand, DNA was discovered 50 years ago and it showed up on the Science paper. That said, almost everything shows up on the Science paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

A97 wrote: »
    Yeah. It's far too predictable. On the other hand, DNA was discovered 50 years ago and it showed up on the Science paper. That said, almost everything shows up on the Science paper.
    DNA showed up on science last week!? :confused: The only thing I remember related to DNA was the head of the sperm cell ...

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Cos that's just what you'd expect of them.

What's the point in an exam system if they always ask questions on events when it's an anniversary/centenary?

Well as I pointed out it is past of History and it was a History EXAM

• Advertisement

MomijiHime wrote: »
    They never do historic anniversaries as it's too predictable.

Sure the whole exam is Predictable :p

Why put this is the history syllabus and not reference to it in the exam on it's centenary?

It's not that the exam can then be classified as being too easy because all students realised that there is an anniversary of a topic and so they studied it and all received high marks.

Why the hell have history - it is all about dates ins't it and 1913 - 2013 is an important anniversary and so relevant.

The examiners were being smug in setting the paper by not including it in the exam and for no other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

My mum was absolutely convinced it would come up, she nagged me to study it day and night, she wrote notes and printed out about a dozen summaries; she was so sure it would come up. I told her otherwise, but of course, mothers are always right:rolleyes: I was the one grinning when I came home to tell her there wasn't a mention of it on the whole paper:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

My mum was absolutely convinced it would come up, she nagged me to study it day and night, she wrote notes and printed out about a dozen summaries; she was so sure it would come up. I told her otherwise, but of course, mothers are always right:rolleyes: I was the one grinning when I came home to tell her there wasn't a mention of it on the whole paper:D
    Epic fail :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Epic fail :D

Yup:D It was hilarious! She won't be predicting another history exam anytime soon!

Well as I pointed out it is past of History and it was a History EXAM

Exactly, it was a history exam. And many other events are also part of history.

It's the 50th anniversary of JFK's visit to Ireland and the 50th anniversary of his death 3 days later. Why not throw that in as well?
    The examiners were being smug in setting the paper by not including it in the exam and for no other reason.

Being smug? They have no obligation or aren't expected to ask questions on anniversaries, especially obvious ones. Sometimes they might throw in small ones that not everyone knows about, even after the exam.

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Exactly, it was a history exam. And many other events are also part of history.

It's the 50th anniversary of JFK's visit to Ireland and the 50th anniversary of his death 3 days later. Why not throw that in as well?

Being smug? They have no obligation or aren't expected to ask questions on anniversaries, especially obvious ones. Sometimes they might throw in small ones that not everyone knows about, even after the exam.

Was the 50th anniversary of JFK's visit on the curriculum? Nope

Was his assassination on either? Don't think so.

Yes they are being smug because they know people are discussing this in general and not just in the class room, it is relevant today.

They could have made reference to this important part of our recent past, even as a sub question.

Was the 50th anniversary of JFK's visit on the curriculum? Nope

Was his assassination on either? Don't think so.

Yes they are being smug because they know people are discussing this in general and not just in the class room, it is relevant today.

They could have made reference to this important part of our recent past, even as a sub question.

JFK was mentioned in the curriculum, I've done essays on him for JC. They could have asked about the Cuban Missile crisis which he was the prime figure in (50th anniversary in 2012 too).

People are discussing the Lockout outside the classroom? Maybe in SIPTU and the Labour Party yeah.

But you're forgetting it's a history exam and there are many other topics that are also an important part of our recent past. Commemorations will be made for the Lockout by Dublin City Council, trade unions especially SIPTU and the Labour Party. The SEC are under no obligation to ask questions on it in a state exam on it's centenary which would almost be like giving away free marks by the looks of it because you were so sure it would come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

The SEC are not obliged to ask any one question over another, no matter what anniversary or other reason there may be. Their job, in the end of the day, is to provide everyone with a fair, independent exam that tests what has been learned over the past 3 years. Predictions like these are of no benefit what-so-ever and if anything the SEC are going to set questions that are the complete opposite to what is expected in order to break the cycle of predictability.

OP I think you have your answer. This thread isn't going anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement