Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave - Occupational Health

Options
  • 18-06-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been on sick leave for 7 weeks with an estimated return to work date of 2/3 weeks time. My manager has notified me that HR may request that occupational health contact me but not to worry about it. I've never been in this situation before so not sure what to expect. Has anyone had any experience dealing with them? Reading between the lines I'm getting the impression that the manager is behind getting them involved and wants me back to work ASAP regardless of my GPs opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Your manager can't make you return while you're on certified sick leave - that wouldn't be a good move. This could be simply to see if the company needs to make any allowances for you, if your condition is not totally gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Your employer has every right to involve occupational health, as they need to ensure you can work safely after a long sick leave. Indeed, it would be reckless of them not to involve occupational health, so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

OHanon wrote: »
    Reading between the lines I'm getting the impression that the manager is behind getting them involved and wants me back to work ASAP regardless of my GPs opinion.

OP, you may well be overthinking this and worrying unneccessarily. If your manager wanted to get you back quicker and didn't believe you need further leave, he/she would simply refer you to the company doctor.

Referring you to OH is more likely, as Diziet says, to ensure you are fit and safe to be back at work with no risk to you or others. You might find you are put on modified duties for a while or something if that is needed. It is more indicative of a responsible employer than one who wants to sneakily get you back to work sooner than you should.

Advertisement