Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to determine HP of a bike

• 18-06-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

OK I have a Harley and thinking of bringing it to Ireland (it is currently in the USA). Now I have asked the question and got several different answers. One person told me I had to have it restricted another told me that it is fine. So where can I get the correct answer. Currently have a Full Irish Car license and a learners permit for a motorcycle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What Harley is it? What cc?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What age are you and what permit do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Soundman wrote: »
    What Harley is it? What cc?
    this ^^

It's akin to me saying I have a yamaha, what HP is it?

Moar info OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

How to determine?

Please state

Model name:
    Year:
    Cc:

We can only provide you info about the papper hp but the real will depend to many factors, starting by any aditional aftermarket parts, such as exhaust, air filter etc

But because its a lovely sunny day i am providing u a link --> easy to find almost all bikes spec list.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/H-D.htm

Enjoy and welcome on "boards"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NBT184

Sorry was in a hurry as I typed. Bike is an all stock 2009 1200C Sportster.
    Age 48
    And permit is for an A license.

Oh and bikerguy your link does not list HP of the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Depends on the interperatation of typically gibberish Irish legislation

58.5 hp 42.6 kW @ 5200 rpm

referring that the model stayed unchanged from 2005 aprox --> i mean engine wise only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

58.5HP from a 1200CC bike, LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Its not so much about HP more about Torque with these engines.
    But I do agree the hp figures look low.

Autodata has it at 49kW, 67 hp @ 5700rpm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

A Kawasaki VN1600 cruiser went on the dyno at a charity dyno day in RPM (Drogheda) last year. It made 55bhp. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

in fairness, its the big torque figures yer after when pulling ploughs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wossack wrote: »
    Ploughs are gone, tis a baler you need with these.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Looks like you're out of luck,

Harley Davidson Sportster Custom 1202 260kg 65.7HP 49kW 0.19 KW/kg

You'd need to restrict it, Harley Davidson sell already restricted ones, that's why there's one on the list that looks like it will be ok on an A2 permit. Once over 35kW it's a no.

http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bikerguy wrote: »
    58.5 hp 42.6 kW @ 5200 rpm

referring that the model stayed unchanged from 2005 aprox --> i mean engine wise only.
    Anything over 35kW will have to be restricted. Anything less than 70kW can be restricted.
    Wossack wrote: »
    Aye. A H-D can beat a Fireblade, but only out to a hundred feet or so. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

jimgoose wrote: »

I doubt that very much :pac:

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcycle-0-60-mph-Times.html

I'm not talking about 0-60 times.

On the new style A licence it doesn't need restriction but you have to have CBT to module 5.

I got the numbers from other public forum. I though they may be bit low. But thats what the bike is pulling - model 2006. Then acording the model description engine wasnt hanged untill 2009 - so thats how i came with that figure.

Fabritzo wrote: »
    Looks like you're out of luck,

Harley Davidson Sportster Custom 1202 260kg 65.7HP 49kW 0.19 KW/kg

You'd need to restrict it, Harley Davidson sell already restricted ones, that's why there's one on the list that looks like it will be ok on an A2 permit. Once over 35kW it's a no.

http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/[/QUOTE]

That chart makes no sense as the Sportster 1200C is listed 7 times as A2 compliant and another 4 times stating it needs to be restricted. So which ones are correct??????? I already own the Sportster and have had it for several years. It makes no sense to sell it for a loss and then buy one here for a lot more then I paid for mine new.

• Advertisement

Why are you going A2 and not A?

Oryx wrote: »
    On the new style A licence it doesn't need restriction but you have to have CBT to module 5.

Why would I need mod 5 when I already done the IBT 1-4? I am going A where did you get the A2 from?

NBT184 wrote: »
    Why would I need mod 5 when I already done the IBT 1-4? I am going A where did you get the A2 from?

Because of all the talk of restriction. You can go straight to an unrestricted bike on an A licence but only if youve done module 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

NBT184 wrote: »

http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/

That chart makes no sense as the Sportster 1200C is listed 7 times as A2 compliant and another 4 times stating it needs to be restricted. So which ones are correct??????? I already own the Sportster and have had it for several years. It makes no sense to sell it for a loss and then buy one here for a lot more then I paid for mine new.

I was involved in putting that list together. The figures were supplied by Waterford Harley Davidson based on current models.

You could give them a call, they know their stuff.

In any case, if you're over 24 and you have an A permit it's direct access no restriction. Do your IBT, pass your test, you're good to go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not standard it can't :p even tuned the blade should pee all over the HD, there's quite a gulf in the rider's launch skills in that vid, definately to be taken tongue in cheek.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Not standard it can't :p even tuned the blade should pee all over the HD, there's quite a gulf in the rider's launch skills in that vid, definately to be taken tongue in cheek.

Those things can actually shift, up to a point. Hint: Have a look at the respective torque curves for a 1340 Evo and a 1000RR - the 'Blade can of course thrash the Hoggage, but it's going to need a little more road to do it! Next time the 'Blade should take off in second at max torque

The thing sounds magnificent, mind you - like a top-fueller, whatever he's done to it! A healthy Evo twin, ridden by an individual of limited clutch sympathy, is not easy to live with from a standing-start out to a couple of hundred yards. Take a look at an actual dragbike and, cargo-ship torque curve aside, you'll notice it has more in common with Hildo's oul' Hoggage than with the 'Blade.

dat gloves for iron casting .. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Those things can actually shift, up to a point. Hint: Have a look at the respective torque curves for a 1340 Evo and a 1000RR - the 'Blade can of course thrash the Hoggage, but it's going to need a little more road to do it! Next time the 'Blade should take off in second at max torque

I know, I've ridden both as you well know ;) the dark site lol.
    Don't forget all that torque has all that weight to pull, Hildo's bike is substantially lighter than stock.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement